Anybody had their boat spray painted

Featured Posts

I saw a spray painted boat at Crick one year. Maybe it just wasn't a very well done job but to me the finish looked kinda.., 'thin'. It didn't have that solid 'I'm going to last 50 years' appearance of a quality brushed coach painted finish.

I saw a spray painted boat at Crick one year. Maybe it just wasn't a very well done job but to me the finish looked kinda.., 'thin'. It didn't have that solid 'I'm going to last 50 years' appearance of a quality brushed coach painted finish.

My brush job didnt last 50 years

All Hudsons built in the last many years were spray painted, including ours.

I guess it depends on how many coats are put on. I'd also presume that it shows up imperfections in the steel more than a brush job would.

I have seen spray painted, of various qualities, Norton Canes seems to be durable and well covered, Hudsons do not.

Rust has appeared very soon after completion on several boats I have seen in certain areas although not over large panels.

There is probably one underlying reason for this, Norton Canes would have one or two boats in production at any time, and both be under cover. Hudson would have many boats in production, quite a few outside at any one time, in grey primer.

I think the boats that went to the paint section for final coats were not prepared sufficiently well from the previously exposed primer coatings, and were not sprayed particularly well or with enough coats.

Coach painting does give the painter the opportunity to build up coat thicknesses and quality without wasting vast amounts of paints due to overspray.

We hand brush at Stowe Hill.

I have seen spray painted, of various qualities, Norton Canes seems to be durable and well covered, Hudsons do not.

Rust has appeared very soon after completion on several boats I have seen in certain areas although not over large panels.

There is probably one underlying reason for this, Norton Canes would have one or two boats in production at any time, and both be under cover. Hudson would have many boats in production, quite a few outside at any one time, in grey primer.

I think the boats that went to the paint section for final coats were not prepared sufficiently well from the previously exposed primer coatings, and were not sprayed particularly well or with enough coats.

Coach painting does give the painter the opportunity to build up coat thicknesses and quality without wasting vast amounts of paints due to overspray.

We hand brush at Stowe Hill.

I think it depends a lot on the preparation. Our boat is now coming up to 6, the cabin sides, rear bulkhead and roof have no rust. The front bulkhead had some rust spots appear quite early on, presumably because that bit wasnt well prepared. Our paint is pretty thick. The red stop beam has faded a lot and cracked a bit (along with the the red handrails) but there was sufficient thickness to sand it down back to bright red and varnish it - it now looks like new without adding any red paint.

All that said I'm aware of a customer whose boat started peeling paint in large chunks off the roof, however by the time we had our boat done Steve had a new painter. The point is probably that one can't generalise.

I dont know the ratio of brush/roller spray, but with the right paint and prep, its a fast way to get a durable finish, be that a high gloss enamel or not.

- Cars are spray painted and do 20+ years without issue.

- Plant equipment diggers/tracktor/cranes/cementmixers are spray painted and last decades.

- Same goes for buildings and bridges.

You just need the right paint and prep and process, method application is almost immaterial.

Daniel

I think it depends a lot on the preparation. Our boat is now coming up to 6, the cabin sides, rear bulkhead and roof have no rust. The front bulkhead had some rust spots appear quite early on, presumably because that bit wasnt well prepared. Our paint is pretty thick. The red stop beam has faded a lot and cracked a bit (along with the the red handrails) but there was sufficient thickness to sand it down back to bright red and varnish it - it now looks like new without adding any red paint.

All that said I'm aware of a customer whose boat started peeling paint in large chunks off the roof, however by the time we had our boat done Steve had a new painter. The point is probably that one can't generalise.

My roof started breaking out in rust after 18 months, but I did leave it outside in the winter and didn't drive 150 miles each way every day to sweep the snow off, so I guess it was my fault.

I dont know the ratio of brush/roller spray, but with the right paint and prep, its a fast way to get a durable finish, be that a high gloss enamel or not.

- Cars are spray painted and do 20+ years without issue.

- Plant equipment diggers/tracktor/cranes/cementmixers are spray painted and last decades.

- Same goes for buildings and bridges.

You just need the right paint and prep and process, method application is almost immaterial.

Daniel

Is spray painting significantly quicker than brush/roller? Whatever method you use it's still got to cure.

Some interesting feedback. Thanks. The painter in question does use two pack. He said he switched to spraying three years ago which made me ask the question about longevity on here.

Cars are sprayed by robots and will always put the correct thickness of paint on every panel. Also the basecoat is applied electrostatically so it reaches every nook and cranny. No chance of any bare metal or thin patches unless you buy something other than mainstream. Plant and bridges are painted to keep the weather out. For the amount of money we will be spending I want something that looks good as well

Another issue is touch up although I'm assured the customer gets a one pack pot of paint for that.

Is Harnser a Hudson Brian?

I don't know whether it is quicker Neil2 but I was told it takes them three weeks but they like to book it in for four just in case more repairs are needed than expected.

Some interesting feedback. Thanks. The painter in question does use two pack. He said he switched to spraying three years ago which made me ask the question about longevity on here.

Cars are sprayed by robots and will always put the correct thickness of paint on every panel. Also the basecoat is applied electrostatically so it reaches every nook and cranny. No chance of any bare metal or thin patches unless you buy something other than mainstream. Plant and bridges are painted to keep the weather out. For the amount of money we will be spending I want something that looks good as well

Another issue is touch up although I'm assured the customer gets a one pack pot of paint for that.

Is Harnser a Hudson Brian?

I don't know whether it is quicker Neil2 but I was told it takes them three weeks but they like to book it in for four just in case more repairs are needed than expected.

Yes but most of that time will be spent removing fittings, stripping, rust treatment, etc just as with brush painting.

It was suggested that spraying is a quicker process and I think some would deduce from that it's one reason why boat painters have migrated to spray paint, doesn't seem to make sense to me.

brush will take longer yes,but a brush will get in those nooks and crannys that spray will not without leaving big drips on door/gas locker/hatch hinges, pigeon box hinges, rivets, etc.

The brush painter can also spend time in those areas going back to draw more paint off if surplus is there, you cant do that with a sprayer.

The sprayer moves over those complicated points at the same speed of the rest, therefore leaving a weak point on the paint - especially if its not been prepared properly.

Our share boat was spray painted - by hooligans!! They didn't make a very good job of it - fortunately our boatyard was able to remove it without damaging the original paint.

And before you ask was done when moored in what is regarded as a safe place not an inner city/town area. And I'm not going to say where as it was a number of years ago.