London Party Boat Sinks

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Due to the lack of interesting stuff....................

A massive rescue operation has been launched after a 40-tonne party boat was seen appearing to sink on the River Thames.

Dramatic photos taken from the banks of the river show the private hire boat leaning on its side and partly submerged underwater.

Firefighters rushed to the scene and spent nearly 10 hours trying to rescue The Wyndham boat, which is run by Thames Boats Ltd.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/river-thames-massive-rescue-operation-as-exclusive-party-boat-starts-sinking-near-london-bridge-a3369661.html

• Greenie 1

Wow, hope all got off safely! Overtones of the Marchioness disaster.

A bit of a party pooper. I can't find any other info.

That's because there was no-one on board and it was a minor incident. Just happened in a high profile location.

JP

Really?

Marchioness was hit by 1475-ton dredger Bowbelle drowning 51 people.

The Wyndham boat was empty and sitting on its mooring when it appears one of its hulls sperung sprung a leak (catamaran construction?) and was never in fear of sinking.

Edited ~ Spering is not a verb so sperung would not be the past perfect.

Edited by zenataomm
  • Greenie 1

Accept for the fact it is a boat sinking (a bit) and on the Thames thankfully not really the boat was partially sunk and there was no one on board at the time.

Edited by churchward

I know about boats sinking on the Thames because I sunk a dinghy with 5 other teenagers in it at Kingston quite soon after the Marchioness disaster. Someone called the police to say sinking boat and all the blue lights in the county turned up :huh:

I saved my sisters friends life - no lifejacket and I learned later she couldn't swim - I thought I was just helping her to the side.

• Greenie 1

Accept for the fact it is a boat sinking (a bit) and on the Thames thankfully not really the boat was partially sunk and there was no one on board at the time.

Presumably you meant 'except' rather than 'accept'.

The headline in the news article was misleadingly sensationalist though in my opinion:

"River Thames: Massive rescue operation as party boat starts sinking near London Bridge"

"Massive rescue operation" creates the impression that a lot of lives were saved.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

The headline in the news article was misleadingly sensationalist though in my opinion:

But how else are they going to get you to watch 30 seconds of adverts before a completely boring 5 second clip of some petrol water pumps off in the distance? :D

• Greenie 1

But how else are they going to get you to watch 30 seconds of adverts before a completely boring 5 second clip of some petrol water pumps off in the distance? biggrin.png

I didn't see those adverts.

Instead, I saw a big box informing me they notice I run an ad blocker, and imploring me to turn it off!!!

• Greenie 1

Really?

Marchioness was hit by 1475-ton dredger Bowbelle drowning 51 people.

The Wyndham boat was empty and sitting on its mooring when it appears one of its hulls sperung sprung a leak (catamaran construction?) and was never in fear of sinking.

Edited ~ Spering is not a verb so sperung would not be the past perfect.

Doesn't matter how the Marchioness disaster happened, the boat was sunk on the Thames with desperate tragic results! At the time I posted; I understood that a party boat had sunk on the Thames - had no more information than that! I posted in good faith!

"River Thames: Massive rescue operation as party boat starts sinking near London Bridge"

"Massive rescue operation" creates the impression that a lot of lives were saved.

Cos everyone loves a bit of drama and this forum is no exception....

Doesn't matter how the Marchioness disaster happened, the boat was sunk on the Thames with desperate tragic results! At the time I posted; I understood that a party boat had sunk on the Thames - had no more information than that! I posted in good faith!

You were making a comparison between the two incidents and claiming the second bore overtones of the first.

I merely pointed out they were nothing like each other, and I got that information from following the link in the OP which was directly before yours.

You were making a comparison between the two incidents and claiming the second bore overtones of the first.

I merely pointed out they were nothing like each other, and I got that information from following the link in the OP which was directly before yours.

Even the OP used the term "Massive rescue operation" so I don't think it unreasonable of Jennifer to have thought they meant rescue of people, as opposed to rescue of an empty boat as careful reading of the article would eventually have revealed...

One thing that strikes me as odd is the boat seems to look no different after the ten hour 'rescue operation' than it did at the start, i.e. still listing at about 30 degrees.

Yes indeed I did mean except, spell check doesn't help when you spell the wrong word correctly!

Yes the headline was a bit sensationalist (it's kind of what they are for to draw in a reader) but I took the trouble to read enough of the article to know more of the actual circumstances of the incident rather than just read the headline.

The word Rescue was technically incorrect. Salvage would be a better word. It was not massive either. I suppose "routine savalge operation" would not get anyone's attention.

If it had been a massive rescue operation (of people) it would have been all over the news networks. It was not.

No the OP didn't.

The OP used "London party Boat Sinks"

Then (unlike some people who just post links with no explanation) I cut & pasted the first few lines of the article.

Indeed, and the quote formed content in the OP. Which is what I said.

Due to the lack of interesting stuff....................

A massive rescue operation has been launched <snip>

As per title. London party boat sinks

What are they like? I imagine they get a lot of use with so many guests.

Stainless? Plastic? Enamelled mild steel?

Do they have onboard grey water storage or through skin fitting or perhaps into an automatically pumped sump system to avoid low level hull penetrations.

All fascinating.

They may even be China

I would expect stainless .

Has any one been on a london party boat and had a look at the sinks?

• Greenie 4

Even the OP used the term "Massive rescue operation" so I don't think it unreasonable of Jennifer to have thought they meant rescue of people, as opposed to rescue of an empty boat as careful reading of the article would eventually have revealed...

One thing that strikes me as odd is the boat seems to look no different after the ten hour 'rescue operation' than it did at the start, i.e. still listing at about 30 degrees.

Which is why you shouldn't believe you can buy Bisto on a bus merely because it says it on the side ...........

But how else are they going to get you to watch 30 seconds of adverts before a completely boring 5 second clip of some petrol water pumps off in the distance? biggrin.png

Yeah, you've got it! It's all about the money, which ultimately compromises the credibility of any news source that relies on advertising for an income.