We NEED a drone

Dave /Helen

Featured Posts

Hmmm yes just had a look. Going rate seems to be about £500 second hand.

How big are they? Pretty small I guess comparing the size to the controller. Easy to store inside a boat?

I wonder how much use they are really. I bet after a few fights the novelty wears off and they go back in the box until sold again on ebay!

The Phantom3 standard are more like £350 2nd hand, and will come down as the Mavic release date nears.

Easy to store in a boat if you have the room! All the gear goes in a bag less than the size of a carry-on flight bag. The aircraft itself is about 2 feet across with the props on, about 15" diagonal without the props.

The novelty hasn't worn off for me, but I can see a casual buyer will either lose interest or crash it!

The Phantom3 standard are more like £350 2nd hand, and will come down as the Mavic release date nears.

Easy to store in a boat if you have the room! All the gear goes in a bag less than the size of a carry-on flight bag. The aircraft itself is about 2 feet across with the props on, about 15" diagonal without the props.

The novelty hasn't worn off for me, but I can see a casual buyer will either lose interest or crash it!

Hmmm I'm very tempted to get one in that case.

One thing that bothers me is that avoiding flying it near people on the ground must be quite difficult. People have a habit of appearing out of nowhere constantly on the cut, as evidenced by the jogger who sneaked up on you as you brought yours into land.

I'll wait a bit longer as you say the price is likely to slip a bit further!

What do you use yours for given you find the novelty hasn't worn off? Is it just the pleasure of flying it?

Hmmm I'm very tempted to get one in that case.

One thing that bothers me is that avoiding flying it near people on the ground must be quite difficult. People have a habit of appearing out of nowhere constantly on the cut, as evidenced by the jogger who sneaked up on you as you brought yours into land.

I'll wait a bit longer as you say the price is likely to slip a bit further!

What do you use yours for given you find the novelty hasn't worn off? Is it just the pleasure of flying it?

It is difficult obeying the rules at all times. I think the rules are there to be invoked if something goes wrong. If you use common sense, problems shouldn't arise. For instance I forewarned the people on the other boat in the video clip I posted and they were more than happy to be filmed. Without the warning, they could have objected.

For me the attraction is boating, flying, photography, and using a computer all rolled into one.

Here's another one:

Oops! I knew I should have edited it before uploading!

In my defence, m'lud, I was concentrating on the aircraft as it descended - as soon as I was aware of the runner, I stopped descending until he had passed.

After it had landed, I chatted to the runner for about 20 minutes, gave him a demo, and he was converted, (not that he was concerned in the first place).

It is sometimes almost impossible to obey all the flying rules that the CAA advise- just look at the manufacturers promo videos - they invariably fly over groups of people at low heights, over cities etc. They also advise the use of a spotter to keep sight of the aircraft - not much use if he's 50 metres away.

I was asked by a friend if I could take some aerial wedding photos recently. Apart from the different rules involved in commercial aerial photography, this seemed like a recipe for disaster- flying over a group of people including children and drinkers. I thought of an excuse and politely declined.

I've checked the date stamp on the original video clip, and with the log of that trip I can reveal the location as locks 21/22 on the GU below Radford Semele, so well spotted!

Checking the flight log, the height averaged about 65 metres, and yes, inaudible from the ground.

Thanks for that, I see you are a responsible flyer

Richard

The problem is dad buys little johnny one for Christmas they go out in the back garden for some fun not realising they are breaking the law. Then it gives multirotars a bad name.

I'm lucky to know a farmer and I can fly in his fields one day me and a mate was flying me my hex copter his his nitro helicopter and plane, the farmer gets a call complaining about a drone in his field filming yes I had a camera fitted but how she could see it. She said nought about my mate doing stunts in his nitro helicopter and plane. The call came from a local councillor who was promptly told to bugger off it's his field and a member off the family was flying there with his permission and with insurance.

For instance I forewarned the people on the other boat in the video clip I posted and they were more than happy to be filmed. Without the warning, they could have objected.

Thanks for putting the other side, excellent. I also think you've hit the nail on the head there.

You prove yourself to be responsible simply in that sentence above.

When you don't know what's happening around you it's natural to expect the worst or at least be suspicious.

The most common thought we all default to is .....

"What's in this for me?"

Fun?

Happiness?

Some'at interesting?

Or as nobody has explained to me .....

Threat?

Loss of privacy?

Personal danger?

Authority trying to restrict my freedom?

If no consultation or explanation has occurred which one do you immediately think?

I guess it also depends on your age and life experiences as well.

Well well what an interesting topic! Hadn't realised there was such anti-drone sentiment!

I've been flying a drone for a while now, and it combines my favourite hobbies; flying remote controlled aircraft, boating, video editing.

I completely agree that low flying near people is a no-no, but once these things are at a reasonable height they are inaudible.

The quality of the video and stability is impressive.

Here's a (unedited) sample:

https://youtu.be/i1QJDH0NP9o

It was taken using a DJI Phantom3 Standard earlier this year. I've forgotten where!, perhaps someone recognises it?

Nice smooth footage. I'm half tempted with the maverick or phantom 4.

When I built my hex it was great but footage not so good it went like stink and everything was a blur. Even if I tried to fly slow.

Well well what an interesting topic! Hadn't realised there was such anti-drone sentiment!

I've been flying a drone for a while now, and it combines my favourite hobbies; flying remote controlled aircraft, boating, video editing.

I completely agree that low flying near people is a no-no, but once these things are at a reasonable height they are inaudible.

The quality of the video and stability is impressive.

Here's a (unedited) sample:

It was taken using a DJI Phantom3 Standard earlier this year. I've forgotten where!, perhaps someone recognises it?

Bought my Phantom 4 recently and am really pleased with the camera, am not one for video generally but have been impressed with the standard.

A couple of photos taken recently ish:

Cannock extension canal:

IMG_4172-L.jpg

Lichfield Canal M6 Toll crossing:

IMG_4174.jpg

Tim

• Greenie 1

I lost a rather expensive stunt/racing quadcopter I was in the process of building. It didn't have any GPS or return to base on it yet, I was testing it for stability in a field when a coach load of people turned up. So I zoomed it into the air, the wind took it, I managed to lose site of it (cuz it was small) & that was the end of that. I spent 2 days going up & down the fields looking for it with no success. :(

Bought my Phantom 4 recently and am really pleased with the camera, am not one for video generally but have been impressed with the standard.

A couple of photos taken recently ish:

Cannock extension canal:

IMG_4172-L.jpg

Lichfield Canal M6 Toll crossing:

IMG_4174.jpg

Tim

There's another of mine on page 40 of the lastest Waterways World

Tim

Very interesting. I want one!

Interesting how invasive they can be though. I instinctively dislike people pointing cameras at me when I'm boating although I know they are perfectly entitled to. Then the feeling multiplied the first time I saw someone videoing me with their phone a few years ago.

I've yet to see a drone hovering over me on my boat but when I do, I'm imagining the feeling of invasion of privacy will ramp up again to a whole nother level.

How do you feel about all the spy satellites watching you? Do you only go out when its cloudy?

Top Cat