Water Cans and Handbowls

pete harrison

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, AMModels said:

Laurence, any idea where the cans Dave and I posted images of were made? They look similar to those in the image you identified as Joseph Ash made cans.

Hi Andy, I think they are both Joseph Ash, the press brake formed handle was typical of their work.

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 

I'm trying to do some research on canal ware as I have bought these two items ready to sell on.

i do like to know the history of items - and when researching I came across your site and have got even more confused ! 

I would love to know it they are modern 1970s onwards or older ?   The can has damage around the sides 

there is a painting of a castle on the top 

thanks

IMG_8534.JPG

On 14/04/2017 at 10:35, Mindie said:

Hi 

I'm trying to do some research on canal ware as I have bought these two items ready to sell on.

i do like to know the history of items - and when researching I came across your site and have got even more confused ! 

I would love to know it they are modern 1970s onwards or older ?   The can has damage around the sides 

there is a painting of a castle on the top 

thanks

What is the capacity of the Water Can as it looks quite small - and is it watertight.

Also you say the Water Can has damage around the sides. Does this mean the Can is damaged or the paint is damaged :captain:

Edited by pete harrison

6 hours ago, Mindie said:

The can has scraps as if scrapped against a wall - I will check to see if it's water tight - looks ok from underneath - thank you to Dave who told me that this is by frank nurser 

Should be worth a bit then. NB where's Mork?

Hi 

thank you for putting up the listing - that was really great of you and I appreciate it  ;)

I'm hoping they will pay for the bills I keep being presented with by my son.  He's in uni studying his masters and unfortunately has 3 jobs as well as the studying, but none are paid !!! Internships lol !! But will look great on his cv in the end, and then he can pay our bills - nursing home ones probably ! 

I have written to a few museums & canal enthusiasts, but I'm sure they all come on here anyway.

mork !!!Lol :):D  Those were the days ....

Also the can is water tight and doesn't leak.

18 hours ago, Karen Lea Rainey said:

Seeing that can which now has a bid of £225, got me checking my can, which i inherited with the boat,  anybody shed any light on the artist or when it may have been done, it has pot riveted arms and hinges not welds etc

20170419_210112.jpg

20170419_210020.jpg

20170419_210004.jpg

That is almost certainly a can made by Joseph Ash Ltd of Birmingham, the painting looks original and possibly from a Northern yard to my eyes. Date is difficult they made them from early 30's to the 60's supplying most of the large companies ie FMC, GUCCCo etc.

2 hours ago, dave moore said:

The stool just made over £1000 on eBay. It wasn't me!! Dave

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

And well over a monkey for the can. £565 to be precise. 

Not me either as I am afraid I do not have much desire for this older paintwork, although I am drawn to older Cans providing they are usable :captain:

Lesters were a Birmingham based tinsmiths who produced canal hardware among their other output. They are still trading, I believe, but no longer making cans, handbowls etc. They moved some 10 years ago and decided to discontinue production in favour of more commercial products with a higher profit margin. Until recently, the only source of unpainted tinware was a firm in Oswestry, Black Country Metalworks, though the quality was questionable, to say the least. Rose Narrowboats at Stretton are now producing small numbers of high quality cans though the price is likely to deter all but the hardened traditionalist.

Dave

• Greenie 1