Forklift chargers

MtB

Featured Posts

As some of you know, I have a 24v domestic battery bank, and I've been looking around for a hefty 24v charger.

The very best 30A charger (in fact the only 30A 24v charger) I can find is the Sterling Pro Ultra at £600-ish, which seems a lot.

Given I don't think I need all the facilities in the Sterling I was idly browsing ebay and it appears there are cheapish forklift chargers around and about. This one for example:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=122153765214

24V 60A charger for £80 starting price.

Anyone know if a forklift charger might be suitable for fast charging my domestic batteries? And what the characteristics are of a forklift charger and batteries? After all, they ARE traction batteries and a forklift charger might be just the ticket!

As some of you know, I have a 24v domestic battery bank, and I've been looking around for a hefty 24v charger.

The very best 30A charger (in fact the only 30A 24v charger) I can find is the Sterling Pro Ultra at £600-ish, which seems a lot.

Given I don't think I need all the facilities in the Sterling I was idly browsing ebay and it appears there are cheapish forklift chargers around and about. This one for example:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=122153765214

24V 60A charger for £80 starting price.

Anyone know if a forklift charger might be suitable for fast charging my domestic batteries? And what the characteristics are of a forklift charger and batteries? After all, they ARE traction batteries and a forklift charger might be just the ticket!

That one is likely Transformer type and will not perform at all well with a small Generator.

Also states that it is 3 phase

CT

That one is likely Transformer type and will not perform at all well with a small Generator.

Also states that it is 3 phase

CT

Thanks, I missed the three phase bit.

In what way will a transformer charger 'not perform well' with a generator? As far as I can see a full wave rectified transformer charger is perfect!

This

https://www.portablepowertech.com/product/premium-30a-24v-battery-charger/

Is what I used on my 24v system to charge from both mains and genset

Actually it was the previous model but mych the same

Looks good.

My boat is on 12v. I run a truecharge 20i when on shorepower. Main engine or 12v diesel generator for when off grid.

I also have a 24v 12a SPE charger for an electric day boat. The SPE was bought 2nd hand on ebay. Its a good unit with dip switches which can be used to set it up for different battery types, charge rate etc. Nice green led display. I think they do bigger units as well but possibly a bit expensive

http://www.spechargers.com/prodotto/high-frequency-battery-chargers/cbhf-series/cbhf1-v2-en/?lang=en

Fork lift charger is good. BUT they usually take 3phase input which is hard on most boats. Some are fully automatic some are rather simple and rely on being turned off after some time.

What size of generator do you have? Multiply V x A and double that for a rough estimate of power consumed then get the next size of generator.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/bc410e-battery-charger-engine-starter/Not silly money eats a lot of electricity but will push power in as fast as the batteries will take it. NOT auto -remember to turn it off!

Conversion is with a 3 phase transformer 400 volts to approx 20 volts then a 3 phase rectifier to give you 24 volts DC approx at quite a high current for a low mains draw - also a standard piece of kit for industrial control panels working at the low voltage controls.

I see plenty of small single phase battery chargers in industry used for charging the pedestrian controlled electric trucks and hand stackers, however they are generally on a 16 or 32 amp supply.

On small truck/lifter they seem to be using 24 volt from 2 heavy batteries, so you could try talking to local forklift rental companies to see if they have anything for disposal. A few listed on Ebay also.

Edited by adrianh

There are loads of 24-72v single phase charges available. God knows I've shifted plenty of them about at our place over the last 15.5 years.

The drawbck with the old stuff is it's transformer based and very heavy and bulky.

I have a redundant 24v charger at work, I will measure it up tomorrow to give you an idea of size.

It runs off a 13a plug top. Can't remember specs but will get that tomorrow too.

Look for electric pallet trucks or scissor lifts for something around the right size and voltage.

If you are ever in the Corby/Thrapston area and fancy a donation to the RNLI you can have it if it's suitable and you can find a space big enough to accommodate it

Edited by gazza

Conversion is with a 3 phase transformer 400 volts to approx 20 volts then a 3 phase rectifier to give you 24 volts DC approx at quite a high current for a low mains draw - also a standard piece of kit for industrial control panels working at the low voltage controls.

Neat! I guess having three phases, even with a very basic diode pack type rectifier you get a relatively constant 24V

Richard

Right, it's a 2002 Hoppecke unit.

Weight = a roughly calibrated gaz lift of 20? Ish KGS

500 wide x 265 high x 300 deep.

Input = 230v AC/9a

Output = 24v DC/50A

Picture to follow.

attachicon.gifIMG_20160930_081731598.jpg

Ok back now.

Cor blimey these things are BIG aren't they! Thank you for measuring up and posting the photo. I just about have space for it, but it is gonna take up a fair bit of the back cabin space I have set aside to put the four Trojans I am planning to buy.

Right, some thinking from the hip:

I notice the charging symbol is a square wave. I'm wondering if this means it is actually 50A peak but only half-wave rectified, which means it will only be actually charging 50% of the time it is on. So it may not charge any quicker than the 30A 'normal sized' charger posted up earlier by that nice Mr Loddon. My next thought is coupled with a low power factor, probably in the region of 50% too, my 1600W genny is likely to be guzzling quite a lot of petrol to feed it. I suspect I'm not the first person to think of using a forklift charger and these are probably the reasons why no-one else does it either.

Finally Thrapston is a fair trip up from here in Wiltshire to collect it and lug it back to the boat only to possibly find it isn't really suitable, so on balance I'm inclined to say no thanks to your kind offer unless I find myself coming up your way anyway, and you still have it. Your offer is much appreciated though and thank you again.

Hopefully this thread advances the forum knowledge on the subject of battery chargers ever so slightly, too!

Currently, I'm feeling inclined to stump up the money for the Sterling charger or the Portable Power Technology Ltd one linked to by Loddon, although the latter doesn't actually state its power factor.

If you change your mind I can transport Thrapston to Datchet.......

ETA if you click on link to charger then under the specification tab you can download manual and data sheet.

Both give efficiency as >=85% and PF as 1 at full load.

Edited by Loddon

Ok back now.

Cor blimey these things are BIG aren't they! Thank you for measuring up and posting the photo. I just about have space for it, but it is gonna take up a fair bit of the back cabin space I have set aside to put the four Trojans I am planning to buy.

Right, some thinking from the hip:

I notice the charging symbol is a square wave. I'm wondering if this means it is actually 50A peak but only half-wave rectified, which means it will only be actually charging 50% of the time it is on. So it may not charge any quicker than the 30A 'normal sized' charger posted up earlier by that nice Mr Loddon. My next thought is coupled with a low power factor, probably in the region of 50% too, my 1600W genny is likely to be guzzling quite a lot of petrol to feed it. I suspect I'm not the first person to think of using a forklift charger and these are probably the reasons why no-one else does it either.

Finally Thrapston is a fair trip up from here in Wiltshire to collect it and lug it back to the boat only to possibly find it isn't really suitable, so on balance I'm inclined to say no thanks to your kind offer unless I find myself coming up your way anyway, and you still have it. Your offer is much appreciated though and thank you again.

Hopefully this thread advances the forum knowledge on the subject of battery chargers ever so slightly, too!

Currently, I'm feeling inclined to stump up the money for the Sterling charger or the Portable Power Technology Ltd one linked to by Loddon, although the latter doesn't actually state its power factor.

No problem, if you do fancy a crack at it and Loddon can help it's yours.

I won't be throwing it out any time soon!

I'll put a picture of the newer units we have now, way smaller and a little bit less juice hungry.

post-5269-0-09428500-1475328940_thumb.jpg