Is there any hope in finding a London / Greater London Residential Mooring?

bertieogg

Featured Posts

My brother has a business he runs in London in the week & wants to buy a narrowboat to stay on - I've been doing some research for him & am realising residential moorings along the Thames are pretty hard to come by. I've looked at the Canal & Watertrust website but there are none available.

I've also tried googling narrow boat with moorings but again not much there. How do I go about finding a residential mooring in London or Great London? Hes not too fussy where it is just within a reasonable travelling distance from Westminster.

I'm sure this has been asked before & I did look in the relevant section so my apologies if this is a duplicate question but I really would welcome any help or advise.

Many thanks in advance

Yours

Bert

My brother has a business he runs in London in the week & wants to buy a narrowboat to stay on - I've been doing some research for him & am realising residential moorings along the Thames are pretty hard to come by. I've looked at the Canal & Watertrust website but there are none available.

I've also tried googling narrow boat with moorings but again not much there. How do I go about finding a residential mooring in London or Great London? Hes not too fussy where it is just within a reasonable travelling distance from Westminster.

I'm sure this has been asked before & I did look in the relevant section so my apologies if this is a duplicate question but I really would welcome any help or advise.

Many thanks in advance

Yours

Bert

Highline yachting at Iver and Northolt often have vacancies. CRT have various moorings along the GU and Regents but I believe that these rarely come up (and are at great cost)

http://high-line.co.uk/our-services/

https://www.watersidemooring.com/Search?Location=London&DistanceMiles=30&PriceMinimum=&PriceMaximum=&Length=&Beam=&Coordinates=51.5074%2C-0.1278&tab=&Availability=availablenow&BerthUse=Residential

BWML ( A subsidiary of CRT) have residential moorings at Packet Boat, Poplar Dock and Limehouse Marinas

https://bwml.co.uk/packet-boat-marina/moorings/

https://bwml.co.uk/limehouse-basin-marina/moorings/

https://bwml.co.uk/poplar-dock-marina/moorings/

Tim

Edited to note that neither CRT or BWML appear to be showing residential moorings availabe at the moment

Edited by Tim Lewis

If it's only Monday to Friday he probably doesn't need a residential mooring - it varies with the mooring operator. For example many boaters with non-resi C&RT moorings live on them full time and get away with it (no doubt there will be responses to this that they should be able to live where they like for as long as they like etc).

Check with each mooring op you find with a vacancy as to what is and is not permitted - residential moorings will probably be more expensive than ordinary boat moorings.

there are various boats for sale in Limehouse marina that will come with a mooring, some officially residential so you will be paying top dollar for the conveninece of having it. The leisure rates are not a significant saving. Limehouse is a good spot for Westminster, 10min walk to Jubilee Line or Thames Clipper and worst case DLR to Tower Gateway then Circle or District lines - gives you plenty of options for when the tube drivers go on strike then!!

http://www.apolloduck.co.uk/search.phtml?search=limehouse&exact=1&sr=1&q=1&x=0

Also try Boatshed London (many of the Limehouse boats are being sold by the London Rep Angus)

http://london.boatshed.com/

I know that Wanted has his boat for sale, but it might be too far out (Paddington Arm at Hayes/Southall).

He's not posted for a couple of weeks, but it's still for sale as far as I know.

Edited by Tam & Di

Just to help clarify for the OP, I know its 'negative' but you should be aware :

When you buy one of these boats WITH a mooring, you do not own the mooring, you still have to pay (around) £1000 per month rent.

Unlike 'bricks & mortar' you have no security of tenure with a boat mooring, you could be evicted with just a matter of an hour or twos notice.

Your life should not be 100% dependent on your mooring, you need a 'plan B' for your boat IF anything should happen.

Fair point Alan, had assumed he knew about the mooring fees however better to have it out there and transparent.

I am not sure which marinas you are on about however you'd need to do something monumentally outrageous to get thrown out of BWML Limehouse with only a few hours notice - throwing a punch at another resident at a BWML event and verbally abusing BWML staff at same even won't even get that sort of notice served. However you are correct in that you are always at risk of being served 30 days notice even mid contract should something untoward happen (possible however unlikely).

Fair point Alan, had assumed he knew about the mooring fees however better to have it out there and transparent.

I am not sure which marinas you are on about however you'd need to do something monumentally outrageous to get thrown out of BWML Limehouse with only a few hours notice - throwing a punch at another resident at a BWML event and verbally abusing BWML staff at same even won't even get that sort of notice served. However you are correct in that you are always at risk of being served 30 days notice even mid contract should something untoward happen (possible however unlikely).

I am currently moored in 2 different BWML marinas (I have 2 boats) and I know of two people / boats that have had to leave 'within the hour' for 'persistent failures to follow instructions'

One was regularly refuelling on his pontoon berth instead of the refuelling dock, and the other was 'running an internet business' from his boat (no commercial activities allowed).

Many thanks in advance

Yours

Bert

The thought that jumps off the page at me is why is it YOU doing the research, not your brother?

Living on a boat is something he needs to positively want to do. An ambition or burning desire to do it would be even better. It isn;t like living in a house but cheaper, although I grant you didn't say the underlying reason was cost but I suspect this might be it.

Lady Muck on here sometimes likens living on a boat to having a second job. The water tanks need filling, the pump-out needs emptying, gas bottles need changing, the boat needs painting and docking and fueling, electricity needs generating, batteries managed, the list goes on and on.

If he doesn't have the time to do his own research I predict he won't have the time to manage the boat either. For this reason alone I suggest a renting a house or flat near his work will help his business thrive and succeed instead of having a boat competing with the business for his time and attention.

Someone else on here likened it to having a giant steel pet that needs constant feeding and watering. An excellent analogy!

• Greenie 2

Clearly they are managing their marinas across the country VERY differently then.

Another one - was it not BWML Limehouse that 'evicted' the 'elderly couple' running a boat brokerage from their mooring ?

The old brain cells are a bit "dim and dusty" but wasn't there some uproar about 'rights', 'illness', 'infirmity' and 'unfairness' banded about by both residents and one of the 'boating organisations' ?

Edit to add -

Just remembered another 'London' example at Poplar marina (but they were given 28 days to find 'alternative moorings' for their TWO boats.

It does appear that there is some 'consistency' as I have now given examples from the North, the Midlands and now London

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Another one - was it not BWML Limehouse that 'evicted' the 'elderly couple' running a boat brokerage from their mooring ?

The old brain cells are a bit "dim and dusty" but wasn't there some uproar about 'rights', 'illness', 'infirmity' and 'unfairness' banded about by both residents and one of the 'boating organisations' ?

Entirely possible however before my time and I haven't heard any stories about this particular event (usually stories like that crop up from the long termers).

You agree to abide by rules in the t&cs - even if you dont really agree with them. If you persistently break rules that you are constantly reminded not to break then you deserve everything you get (I used to ride my bike on the pontoon - carefully mind you, very considerately and got told off a few times). I don't agree with a bunch of the rules in Limehouse however if I want to stay there then I really only have one option and that is to accept them and get on with enjoying my environment - so now I walk my bike along the pontoon and just accept it. Doing things repeatedly when having been asked to is just an idiots recipe when youve not got the power.

Running an internet business from a boat seems a bit of a harsh reason to evict someone, unless of course there were significant incoming deliveries impacting the marina staff. My gut reaction is behind a legitimate reason is a whole bunch of history that no-one really knows about.

That was poplar and they never got evicted anyway ;)

Edit to add -

Just remembered another 'London' example at Poplar marina (but they were given 28 days to find 'alternative moorings' for their TWO boats.

It does appear that there is some 'consistency' as I have now given examples from the North, the Midlands and now London

I'm not sure if people actually do get evicted.

Anyway a mooring anywhere decent in London is circa £10k a year or rather more in some places.

And it's all full.

• Greenie 1

That was poplar and they never got evicted anyway wink.png

I'm not sure if people actually do get evicted.

Anyway a mooring anywhere decent in London is circa £10k a year or rather more in some places.

And it's all full.

yep and lots of people waiting to get one (either to live on, or to buy a boat elsewhere and ship down and flip it for a tidy profit)

there are various boats for sale in Limehouse marina that will come with a mooring, some officially residential so you will be paying top dollar for the conveninece of having it. The leisure rates are not a significant saving. Limehouse is a good spot for Westminster, 10min walk to Jubilee Line or Thames Clipper and worst case DLR to Tower Gateway then Circle or District lines - gives you plenty of options for when the tube drivers go on strike then!!

http://www.apolloduck.co.uk/search.phtml?search=limehouse&exact=1&sr=1&q=1&x=0

Even better, you could commute by Clipper along the river!

• 2 weeks later...

I know that Wanted has his boat for sale, but it might be too far out (Paddington Arm at Hayes/Southall).

He's not posted for a couple of weeks, but it's still for sale as far as I know.

Thanks Tam, Sending OP a PM now

Best

Many thanks in advance

Yours

Bert

Hi, can't send a PM as you need to post a few more times,

However, take a look at my add for my boat for sale, drop me a message should you wish to discuss further and please be advised that we are open to discussing offers on our asking price.

Best

Rob

https://www.gumtree.com/p/1-bed-house-for-sale/50ft-narrowboat-on-west-london-residential-mooring-price-reduced-for-quick-sale-/1182113400

Many thanks in advance

Yours

Bert

Hi, can't send a PM as you need to post a few more times,

However, take a look at my add for my boat for sale, drop me a message should you wish to discuss further and please be advised that we are open to discussing offers on our asking price.

Best

Rob

https://www.gumtree.com/p/1-bed-house-for-sale/50ft-narrowboat-on-west-london-residential-mooring-price-reduced-for-quick-sale-/1182113400

Rob, Your email address is missing from the ad. Or has been stripped out automatically. This is in the last paragraph.

Oh dear, I shall investigate, thanks for the heads up!

Best

Rob ( robinadlem[at symbol]icloud.com )

Edited by FadeToScarlet