Can i use this stove without water?

MissMax

Featured Posts

Actually I disagree. If all that was wrong with this installation was that it had a back boiler, I would have no qualms about disconnecting the pipework, thus draining and venting it, and then using as a stand alone stove.

Nor would I, PROVIDED the OP has no intention of ever using the back boiler or rads ever again.

The empty back boiler might well survive the stove being used, but equally it might not. Should there be a need to recommission the radiator system again later I'd strongly advice not using any stove with the back boiler empty of water.

The MAN came and poked around filled the cauliflower as it was empty. The pic with the two holes is where he let air out of the pipe.

I'm testing it tonight after my carpet and Lino come ( meeting in car park) just need a funnel to fill the header tank.

I was told to do a very small fire and check the radiators. If I hear any bad noises I was told to go and ask for him at the boart place.

Fingers crossed :)

I can get 'Flumb Flu' for the stove. Told its still good to use and the pipes are odd but no point spending good money when I don't have to. Feel bad as he wouldn't accept money ( sorry Mr Enfield) so I'm going to book for them to do my solar panel setup and get my chimney tits from them :)

I don't have to prowl the canal showing my ankle for sixpence YAY!

The MAN came and poked around filled the cauliflower as it was empty. The pic with the two holes is where he let air out of the pipe.

I'm testing it tonight after my carpet and Lino come ( meeting in car park) just need a funnel to fill the header tank.

I was told to do a very small fire and check the radiators. If I hear any bad noises I was told to go and ask for him at the boart place.

Fingers crossed smile.png

I can get 'Flumb Flu' for the stove. Told its still good to use and the pipes are odd but no point spending good money when I don't have to. Feel bad as he wouldn't accept money ( sorry Mr Enfield) so I'm going to book for them to do my solar panel setup and get my chimney tits from them smile.png

Well don't blame us, if you wake up dead in the morning...

Fingers crossed smile.png

I can get 'Flumb Flu' for the stove. Told its still good to use and the pipes are odd but no point spending good money when I don't have to. Feel bad as he wouldn't accept money ( sorry Mr Enfield) so I'm going to book for them to do my solar panel setup and get my chimney tits from them smile.png

You have got a fire alarm AND a CO monitor, haven't you?

A very small fire probably won't stay alight very easily as the entire grate won't be covered for long, allowing bottom air to by-pass the coals and go straight up the chimney, unless you more or less constantly gently feed it filling in any little dark dead spots. If you brick the grate around the sides to reduce its area you will have a small fire, but a good one that is not too fussy.

I remember as a beginner there was a bit of a learning curve in getting the stove to 1) stay lit and 2) output the desired amount of heat. So there is a danger of it going out (which will generate loads of CO) and roaring away (which will mean it will take ages to go out, if it needed to be put out).

I can't see the point of lighting an obviously faulty/unsafe stove, it will just delay being able to work on it until its cooled down and cleaned out.

There is definite value in seeing if you can get the radiators working on engine coolant though.

I'm going to test the engines tonight I need to pick up a funnel. Would have gone sooner but waiting for the carpet and Lino to arrive.

I'll pick up the Flumb tomorrow and test the stove then.

If it works ( engine heat) I'll have saved myself a lot of cash and if the stove is usable I'd have saved more. Co2 thingy is on the wall ( it's so pretty does temps as well)

Need a funnel to fill the header thing that Nightwatch filled first time on the boat.

Off to find a funnel or lots of bottled water

P S it's. 'BITS' not the other thingy (stupid phone)

We started off without a SD stove, but the boat had engine-coolant radiators - in fact it had a back boiler too, with an unusable SF stove. We'd run the motor until 8pm, keep a close eye on not needlessly opening the doors etc then ask the neighbours if its alright to run the engine a bit longer. Normally we'd get a "we hear you brother" and would run until about 8:30-9pm

I did away with the back boiler, removed the defunct stove and fitted a simple one without back boiler, also taking the opportunity to re-do the hearth with proper heatboard and tiling.

September, well autumn in general and spring too, is the worst time for running a SF stove. The days are warm and the nights cold (potentially). So you need to get the fire going fast at about 9pm, then stoke it up for the night, but not overdo it so it runs through the (warm) day the next day. Once its winter, its easier since its kept going 24h.

Good, I was going to point out that was the bleed point, not a shut off valve

Richard

Will that make it OK to use a stove with a leaky flue then? ninja.gif

No, not at all - you know me better than that MtB. There is no way that I would take the risk. I'd wear lots of clothes and go to bed with lots of blankets. I might get cold, but I'd be unlikely to die in September - unlike the risk with CO.

However, since MissMax seems determined to light 'a small fire', then I really, really hope that she has alarms.

MissMax, you do understand that you cannot see, or smell, or detect Carbon Monoxide in any way without an alarm, don't you? Lighting the fire might tell you if the radiators are working, but doing that risks death from CO poisoning if you have a leaky flue.

No, not at all - you know me better than that MtB. There is no way that I would take the risk. I'd wear lots of clothes and go to bed with lots of blankets. I might get cold, but I'd be unlikely to die in September - unlike the risk with CO.

Indeed I do, but the post reads to me as though you're saying getting a CO alarm makes it OK to use the dodgy flue.

Obviously it isn't, but there are people about who might also interpret it that way.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Indeed I do, but the post reads to me as though you're saying getting a CO alarm makes it OK to use the dodgy flue.

Obviously it isn't, but there are people about who might also interpret it that way.

My apologies, that was not my intention. I was just hoping that if MissMax does decide to take that risky path, then she has alarms to alert her to things that she cannot see, or smell, and which could kill her.

But I said I was going to test the engine tonight :(

and I did get a funnel. Haven't touched the stove as the plumbers is closed and I need a chimney :(

I'm going to tell s slightly sober adult about you lot.

Ps and I need that 'Flume' stuff from plumbers as well

But I said I was going to test the engine tonight :(

and I did get a funnel. Haven't touched the stove as the plumbers is closed and I need a chimney :(

I'm going to tell s slightly sober adult about you lot.Ps and I need that 'Flume' stuff from plumbers as well

Sounds very sensible ? Edited by Jamboat

Mine takes about an hour for a shower, 30 mins and you should be feeling it warm up

Ours also takes around half an hour to get warm, and that would be when the boat is moving. It probably takes longer when idling

Richard

Would suggest running for at least an hour, don't turn the hot tap on in this time, it will just pull cold water into the tank, leave and test after an hour, maybe longer!

Just thinking you should be running your engine a good while anyway to top up the batteries as you have no solar or hook up, generator?