High power Led bulb

PaddingtonBear

Featured Posts

Will an led unit work properly? Old headlamps rely on reflecting the light from a proper filament bulb. LED's tend to transmit light in one direction. I know they do led units which have leds all around but I don't think they are going to be as satisfactory as a real bulb.

Why don't you want to use a normal bulb? Is it too much power for the wiring

Thanks for that, I had not realised that they had gone on the bank. Previously I had tried to catch up with them about several other matters but Toño avail.

Bedazzled have been on the bank for 4 or 5 years, although they liveaboard at their own mooring

This has been discussed at detail on one of the MG forums. Basically LEDs aren't type approved for historic vehicles and fitting them to use on the road is illegal.
There's a discussion document published by the DVLA in 2010 that gives their opinion on use of light sources that aren't covered by the 1989 lighting regs. If the lighting method isn't in these regs (led & hid) then they can't be used. Modern vehicles are covered by modern type approvals. Historic ones are covered be the 1989 regs.

Just re-read the original post - above is irrelevant since the lorry headlamb is being used on the boat, not on the lorry. Danger when reading on a phone whilst waiting to pick up daughter from work....

Edited by Chalky

Biggest problem you'll get with an LED is the way the light is spread from the source and also where that source sits in the lamp. The reflector and lens will be designed to work with the filament at a certain point and will focus the light. Use a different source with it sitting at a different point and you'll get the light scattered and it won't appear as bright.

If you've got a bulb and its dim try increasing the cable size to it. The output of a bulb (especially halogen) is very sensitive to the voltage. Osram publish tables showing that a 10% change in voltage can drop the light output by up to 50%.

Why would you want an LED bulb in your boat headlight? When you use a headlight either for tunnels or night cruising you would probably have the engine running all the time so there would seem to be little advantage in LED bulbs in this application.

Only reason I can think of is reducing the current needed for X lumens and thus the voltage drop on the cable from the stern of the boat to the bow. More light, less voltage drop, less current needed.

This has been discussed at detail on one of the MG forums. Basically LEDs aren't type approved for historic vehicles and fitting them to use on the road is illegal.

There's a discussion document published by the DVLA in 2010 that gives their opinion on use of light sources that aren't covered by the 1989 lighting regs. If the lighting method isn't in these regs (led & hid) then they can't be used. Modern vehicles are covered by modern type approvals. Historic ones are covered be the 1989 regs.

I don't think that applies to boats

I don't think that applies to boats

Chalky had already said that :)

Just re-read the original post - above is irrelevant since the lorry headlamb is being used on the boat, not on the lorry. Danger when reading on a phone whilst waiting to pick up daughter from work....

Many motorcycles are now being fitted with LED headlights if you wanted a complete unit. They are pretty bright though

For a tunnel light, the engine is (likely) to be running, so no shortage of power, and a halogen bulb, which the fitting was designed for, must be the least expensive option.

If you want " B R I G H T " why not fit an HID bulb (55 watt !). It may blind an oncoming boat though causing a coming together ...

Nick

Would it not be better to have tunnel lights work in the same way as car lights?

Main beam with a dip headlight option for meeting oncoming boats

I suspect this would mean a rewire for most boats, but it is only one additional wire and an off-on-on switch to replace the original.

That has given me food for thought and it is likely that led is not the way to go. I had hop d that there was a way of updating the 80 year old light for the following reasons

Current performance not that great and neither are my eyes

Bulb very fragile it appears

Trying to save as much electrickery as poss. As only have a dynamo as source although this is a somewhat fatuous thought as we have no other use for electrickery apart from starting. Fairly substantial cable to light btw although voltage drop will be investigated.

I certainly have no wish to blind anybody but certainly seem to be having great difficulty seeing through th smoke and fumes