Clear up the poops, peeps.

Peter-Bullfinch

Featured Posts

This was the motto on a small child's drawing on a little sign near a dog waste bin. Well done Cheshire County Council for installing these bins at every towpath exit point in their area. This year I seem to have seen far fewer of the disgusting bags hung on branches or left on the path. I'm sure many councils across the country are installing bins but this year we have stayed up north and it seems on the whole a great deal cleaner. There's still some way to go though to get the message across to the lazy few.

I quite like canines. I had a bitch accompany me for 15 years through late teens til I was about 30.

We have been considering a doggie as small children love them (but couldn't eat a whole one) I'm just wondering when we will get sh#t free hybrids or perhaps robo-dogs as an alternative as I don't really find the disposal options particularly impressive.

I hate that when people leave bags of sh1t behind (or any litter for that matter.) Somebody had let their dog crap near our mooring ropes today, and left an empty ciggy packet for good measure. Dirty barstewards. I am a dog owner/lover BTW so not having a go at dog owners in general.

Can't understand why us human beings still don't pick up their dog crap.

We have 3 now, dog bags are cheap enough.

To have to have signs requesting folks to clear it up just makes me sad.

My wife when walking the dogs,has bags in pocket or on the lead, always ends up picking other dogs poo up.

Edited spelling apologies

Edited by bigcol

Maybe if Crufts introduced a dog agility "clear up after yourself" type competition it might stimulate owners to train there dogs better. Dogs are clever they can do all sorts of things so given the right education and equipment it surely isn't rocket science.

Can't understand why us human beings still don't pick up their dog crap.

We have 3 now, dog bags are cheap enough.

To have to have signs requesting folks to clear it up just makes me sad.

My wife when walking the dogs,has bags in pocket or on the lead, always ends up picking other dogs poo up.

Edited spelling apologies

The reason people don`t clear up is because they can`t be bothered and any kind of sign will not change their attitude.

Well done to you all that clear up but trying to convince the other selfish bastiards is a waste of time so we just have to accept these people unfortunately live amongst us.

trouble is some dogs are just bleeding awkward.

our younger one always finds a patch of undergrowth well off piste and does his business where it won't offend anyone.

the older one lags behind, sometimes out of my (limited) field of vision and then insists on doing his business in the middle of the path, preferably at a cross-roads where he has a good view of all directions. I literally need eyes in the back of my head when he's at the beginning of his walk.

Went to a user group meeting a few years ago when the subject of dog poo came up. A number of dog owners were complaining that there were no bins provided whilst other users were complaining about the dog owners. When it was pointed out that to provide bins also meant that someone was needed to empty them, sanitize them, remove the waste to an approved place and generally stop them stinking, and this would cost in the region of £35k pa. As dog walkers, cyclists, fishermen & the council were unwilling to fund it, the only way would be for the boat users (captive audience) pay via their fees. Needless to say it did not go ahead. As the dog owners are the problem (not the dogs) they need to take responsibility for their mobile crap generators.

• Greenie 2

Went to a user group meeting a few years ago when the subject of dog poo came up. A number of dog owners were complaining that there were no bins provided whilst other users were complaining about the dog owners. When it was pointed out that to provide bins also meant that someone was needed to empty them, sanitize them, remove the waste to an approved place and generally stop them stinking, and this would cost in the region of £35k pa. As dog walkers, cyclists, fishermen & the council were unwilling to fund it, the only way would be for the boat users (captive audience) pay via their fees. Needless to say it did not go ahead. As the dog owners are the problem (not the dogs) they need to take responsibility for their mobile crap generators.

why should boaters pay? majority of dog walkers are from the local village/town or even live miles away park up by the canal walk their dogs then go home, so i'm glad it didn't go ahead because the onus is not always on us boaters.

Edited by GoodGurl
  • Greenie 1

Yes the main problem is dog owners, our marina is a prime example, it's on an island, about a mile to walk round, mostly grass, mowed weekly and with 4 poo bins so the worst case would be having to carry a used bag a matter of 220 yards before you hit a bin, not arduous but still people bag it and drop it. To the best of my knowledge most residents to bag n bin, the issue is that dog walkers from the village do use the public footpath which passes along part of the river bank but unless we see them it's hard to prove anything. However every now and again one does get nabbed as in the case of a guy who allowed his dog to crap in my mates garden. I called out to him and he said "oh it's OK, he'll be finished in a minute, not realising there was only one way of the island, past me and the office and the CCTV cameras.

Phil

DNA testing is now quite cheap. I believe all dogs should have their DNA registered on a national database and then offending owners could be fined. This already happens in some USA apartments. (if you want to keep a dog you have to agree to paying and registering the dog's DNA with the building's management company). Some dog owners will only bag poop if someone is watching; as soon as they are out of sight the bag is dropped or hung from a tree. These people should be named and shamed!

Edited by mross
  • Greenie 4

Some dog owners will only bag poop if someone is watching; as soon as they are out of sight the bag is dropped or hung from a tree. These people should be named and shamed!

some dog owners can only bag poop if they see it happening or are alerted by someone about it.

as I stated above, we don't all have a good field of vision, but we do try to do our best.

I won't go into the environmental aspects of always preserving poo in bags, instead of 'sticking and flicking' (as recommended by several conservation organisations, and only where appropriate, obviously).

some dog owners can only bag poop if they see it happening or are alerted by someone about it.

as I stated above, we don't all have a good field of vision, but we do try to do our best.

I won't go into the environmental aspects of always preserving poo in bags, instead of 'sticking and flicking' (as recommended by several conservation organisations, and only where appropriate, obviously).

Where common sense is applied, this is sometimes the best thing.

Our dog, for reasons best known to himself, always shoves his arse way into the bushes, looking round guiltily, as indeed I would. We never trained him to do that - he just WON'T do it in the open! I can't ever find it, but I know it's never going to bother anyone!

Really??

What about the Blackberry & Sloe pickers ?

• Greenie 1

Not if they keep their dog on a short lead until it has done it's business.

• Greenie 2

Not if they keep their dog on a short lead until it has done it's business.

oh dear, if only life was so easy.

clearly you have little understanding of the metabolism of dogs.

just for the record - neither of my dogs will do their business if they are on a lead.

when I let them off the lead they do one poo within a few minutes, but usually do 2 or 3 more during an hour's walk.

I quite like canines. I had a bitch accompany me for 15 years through late teens til I was about 30.

We have been considering a doggie as small children love them (but couldn't eat a whole one) I'm just wondering when we will get sh#t free hybrids or perhaps robo-dogs as an alternative as I don't really find the disposal options particularly impressive.

You could just shoot them and feed them to the small children, make sure to remove any small bones and teeth first though.biggrin.png

• Greenie 1

DNA testing is now quite cheap. I believe all dogs should have their DNA registered on a national database and then offending owners could be fined. This already happens in some USA apartments. (if you want to keep a dog you have to agree to paying and registering the dog's DNA with the building's management company). Some dog owners will only bag poop if someone is watching; as soon as they are out of sight the bag is dropped or hung from a tree. These people should be named and shamed!

Dagenham Council are piloting a DNA testing scheme

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35363991

It's a great idea in theory but would only work if compulsory licencing was brought back and every dog's DNA taken and recorded. At the moment it's very difficult to prove because somebody has to be caught in the act to have any chance of priosecution. Whereas this way somebody can be fined retrospectively.

oh, gawd.

we'll have volunteer poop samplers wearing surgical gloves, scouring the verges for traces of dog mess and packaging it up in little plastic bags for analysis.

I can imagine thousands of Norrises (Corry) scurrying about in the parks and lanes, all competing to get to the poo first.

You could just shoot them and feed them to the small children, make sure to remove any small bones and teeth first though.biggrin.png

why would you need to remove the children's teeth?

oh, gawd.

we'll have volunteer poop samplers wearing surgical gloves, scouring the verges for traces of dog mess and packaging it up in little plastic bags for analysis.

I can imagine thousands of Norrises (Corry) scurrying about in the parks and lanes, all competing to get to the poo first.

why would you need to remove the children's teeth?

For fun of course ! Have you ever seen a gummy child try to chew a dead dog ? Oh! how we laughed.biggrin.png