Bourneville moorings - safe?

homer2911

Featured Posts

No. The local yoofs have been known to throw bars of Cadbury's Fruit and Nut and Crème eggs at passing boaters. There was even one incident where a couple returned to their boat after a visit to Cadbury World to find Chocolate Buttons stuck all along their boat in the manner of fake rivets. Incidentally, they were quite pleased with the result and the last I heard they were planning to paint over them! :)

The moorings inside the locked gates are safe but up until a couple of months back those moorings were closed to visitors with CRT work boats taking them up (repairs happening I think). I haven't been past recently so I don't know if they're still there. It used to be the case that CM'ers hogged the secure moorings most of the time but that's eased with recent increased enforcement. If you can't get into the secure section you have 2 choices. Many local cc'ers will moored on pins and roped to trees on the offside where there's often safety in numbers. Otherwise there are awkwardly spaced mooring bollards on the towpath side. The whole area is usually pretty safe but not guaranteed.

If I were you I'd call CRT and see if the secure VMs are available again. If not, you might be better to head north towards Edgbaston, with the Vale being the obvious spot.

Not really a problem as they do not run through the night but if you want a lie-in they will start early.

And finish late

edit

like others I would moor in Birmingham. If you turn up at Bornville and there is no space what are you going to do?

Edited by ditchcrawler

I am reading it that the OP either doesn't want or doesn't have time to go to Birmingham and back by boat.

It's probably a perfectly good plan and I believe the secure moorings are available but as they aren't that extensive there is always a risk they won't be available. It is however possible to moor at Bournville outside of the secure area if you really need to. It's a perfectly respectable area but the towpath is heavily used so any unattended boats are very visible.

There are other options for mooring south of Birmingham and getting in to the city centre so if we knew a bit more about the wider journey then alternative options could be tabled.

JP

If Bourneville and other similar moorings are lockable I do wonder why if as had been said the area is fairly safe.

Because they are in a heavily populated, very visible and easily accessible place. That makes them more vulnerable than the majority of moorings. The district of Bournville itself is a sought after residential area - as a result of its Quaker origins - although it is on the opposite side of the canal to the moorings.

JP

Because they are in a heavily populated, very visible and easily accessible place. That makes them more vulnerable than the majority of moorings. The district of Bournville itself is a sought after residential area - as a result of its Quaker origins - although it is on the opposite side of the canal to the moorings.

JP

No difference to hundreds of other similar moorings. Sorry but there has to have been past history for them to choose this and some others to fence in.

No difference to hundreds of other similar moorings. Sorry but there has to have been past history for them to choose this and some others to fence in.

I live five minutes walk away from the CRT moorings in Droitwich where I also keep my own boat. Both visitor and permit moorings are secured from public access by a locked gate.

Obviously that's because me and all my neighbours are all scrotes and Droitwich is a dodgy town. Our reputation must have gone before us because CRT didn't wait for any incidents. The moorings were secured from the day they were built.

Actually they happen to be in a public park which raises the risk similarly to heavily frequented places like Bournville. But we are only talking about a difference between the risk being very low and it being negligible. I would moor at Bournville and plenty of folk moor in the park rather than on the visitor moorings in Droitwich.

It doesn't surprise me to learn there have been past incidents in Bournville but I don't think there is any need to look too hard into why any urban mooring site is fenced.

JP

If Bourneville and other similar moorings are lockable I do wonder why if as had been said the area is fairly safe.

Because they are alongside a large compound that BW used to use for storage.

Richard

Perfectly safe moorings, they are noisy from the trains, though and the smell of chocolate is cloying if the wind is westerly. There's a general shop that sells useful things on Maryvale Road (down to the bridge, turn right). I've had some issues mooring in the Vale and there was a large canvas camp hidden in the bushes with lots of people gathered there last time I went through. Dunno if it's still there.

Perfectly safe moorings, they are noisy from the trains, though and the smell of chocolate is cloying if the wind is westerly.

I'm pleased to learn that chocolate is still made in Bourneville. I read somewhere that Cadbury's had started making it in Poland and shipping it over here!