hi widebeam or narrowboat ?

colin1325

Featured Posts

Sorry c.c. with winter motoring up ..pos k&a but I,realize they have probs or Shropshire union or grand union ? Colin

Sorry c.c. with winter motoring up ..pos k&a but I,realize they have probs or Shropshire union or grand union ? Colin

OP didn't mention they wanted one, just wanted an argument about it.:icecream:

hi we intend to get one just need to decide between them

Neither can I, in my narrow boat!

I can't even get to the beginning of it in mine!

It sounds like we need to redefine "widebeam".

Never mind Hurleston lock, the first time we did the Stratford canal I wondered if we had in fact bought a narrowboat.

hi we intend to get one just need to decide between them

The problem with relying on winter moorings is that CRT keep mucking about with them, there's no guarantee that they'll be available/affordable/in the locations that they were last time, from one year to the next. Every year there seem to be changes, just don't bank on them or base your decision around them.

If you want to spend winter moored up, then you might want to look into marina availabilty.

The Shropshire union is a narrow canal, the Grand Union is widebeam.

Despite having a mooring that would easily fit a full width widebeam, I'm sticking with my narrowboat, mostly because Oxford Canal, but also because I'd like to do a few more visits up north, that and I'm permanently skint and maintaining a narrowboat is a bit cheaper. I can live without the extra space, not everyone can though.

Edited by Lady Muck

The problem with relying on winter moorings is that CRT keep mucking about with them, there's no guarantee that they'll be available/affordable/in the locations that they were last time, from one year to the next. Every year there seem to be changes, just don't bank on them or base your decision around them.

If you want to spend winter moored up, then you might want to look into marina availabilty.

Despite having a mooring that would easily fit a full width widebeam, I'm sticking with my narrowboat, mostly because Oxford Canal, but also because I'd like to do a few more visits up north, that and I'm permanently skint and maintaining a narrowboat is a bit cheaper. I can live without the extra space, not everyone can though.

VERY well written & balanced reply IMO, I'd give you a greenie if I could - so have one of these instead cheers.gif

The Chester end of the "Shropie's" wide, but you couldn't boat on to it very easily crane & limited cruising would be the order

Narrowboat because a widebeam will always be a pain in the ass if you actually want to move.

There speaks someone that has never had a widebeam, had both prefer widebeam, huge waterways up here 1000 ton tankers doesnt have much problem so why should I?

VERY well written & balanced reply IMO, I'd give you a greenie if I could - so have one of these instead cheers.gif

+1 for greenies I like you Bettie love my widebeam its a comfort thing and as I am in the north I get to have my cake and eat it as its mostly big waterways up here

There speaks someone that has never had a widebeam, had both prefer widebeam, huge waterways up here 1000 ton tankers doesnt have much problem so why should I?

+1 for greenies I like you Bettie love my widebeam its a comfort thing and as I am in the north I get to have my cake and eat it as its mostly big waterways up here

How big are the waterways up there? I'm not sure you've ever mentioned it!!

My choice was easy.

Fat Bloke = Fat Boat

Also somewhere to park me bike![on the boat, that is]

And I thought you parked yer bike on the towpath so that passers by could drool over it, have you got an even nicer one on the boat?

.....................Dave

I do. Waterfront Objet d'art.

Had the Commando on the back but now sadly sold.

The V twin is too wide [bit like me]

CCM coming on board in the next few weeks ready for a bit of a re-work!

Widebeam cruiser stern = Workshop.

sad.png arguments for and against

Having lived aboard both its simple. Widebeams are hugely more sensible in size and imeasureably more comfortable than narrowboats. The only reason we in the uk have narrowbeam is due to lock dimensions or they quite simply would not exist. If you want to cruise exstensively it has to be a narrowboat but if you just want accomodation in a specific area then widebeams are vastly more suited to living on.

Tim

Hi Col.

It depends on your needs really.

Myself & DMR are a good example.

I work 8-5. 5 days a week at a set location.

Am on a mooring in a WB.

All the bells 'n whistles with cats' a swinging.

All the space i need!

DMR can do things from his boat and cruises the system.

He is on a NB.

I last saw him wintertime here in Wiltshire. Now I believe he is Liverpool way.

I cc'd for quite a few years but find that [at the moment]

being static suits my requirements.

Once things change I will be looking to downsize to a NB

to go cruising.

Hope that helps? [or even raises more confusion probably!]

• Greenie 1

• 4 weeks later...

The K&A is one canal I will never visit again at least not until CRT have sorted out the malaise of liveaboards clogging it up and if there is one canal that isn't suitable for a widebeam this is it. We followed one of these things down the cut from Newbury a few years ago (when the channel was deeper than it is now) at 1.5mph. Another coming the opposite direction was creating such a huge wash it was swamping the towpath.

What total rubbish....... I have had wide & narrows on the K&A for about 10 years now & my 12ft wide makes no more wash then a narrow in fact it makes less then my narrow due to the wide flat bottom.... cutting the trees back on the K&A would help ALL boaters....