Advice please - urgent

kawaton

Featured Posts

Hi all

Some quick advice if possible.

I have had an offer accepted on a boat.....but not yet paid deposit.

After my offer was accepted I was told the boiler (webasto) doesn't work.

So what should I do?

If I pay deposit and surveyor picks up, I cannot pull out unless repairs cost more than 5%.

Which is fine.....but as I have now been told about it....would this issue be exempt from the repairs highlighted by surveyor? I.e cannot pull out

Also, there is a morso that apparently has been used to heat the boat and owners weren't using the webasto.

Would the morso provide hot water, or is the webasto needed for that?

What should I do?

Help .....please,?

Edited by kawaton

How much do you want the boat?

Richard

(what's a moral in this context?)

Possibly a Morco?

I agree, if the boat is ideal in all other respects it might be worth accepting the defect if you cannot knock something extra off.

Edited by NB Ellisiana

Good question.

We like the boat.....but hearing 3k for a new boiler?!?!

Before we knew this the offer was accepted below asking price......seems that we would end up therefore paying close to asking price if we need to pay for the boiler.

Admittedly the price of the boat has dropped a lot before getting to the current price......

There are always other boats out there, and in no rush......but the current agreed price is good I feel.....but less so with a new boiler on top

Hi all

So what should I do?

If I pay deposit and surveyor picks up, I cannot pull out unless repairs cost more than 5%.

Which is fine.....but as I have now been told about it....would this issue be exempt from the repairs highlighted by surveyor? I.e cannot pull out

Also, there is a moral that apparently has been used to heat the boat and owners weren't using the webasto.

Would the moral provide hot water, or is the webasto needed for that?

What should I do?

Help .....please,?

You need to look at the contract.

Are you going through a broker or is it a private sale?

The law is different accordingly

Is your deposit refundable?

If they included the Webasto in list of the boat's equipment, then the seller should either repair it or reduce the price accordingly.

Last thing, if think you mean a Morso solid fuel stove. Depends on the installation, Some have back boilers, some don't.

Even if it has a back boiler, it will not necessarlly heat domeatic water. This is a question that you need to ask the vendor or broker.

If you were given the impression the webasto was working, then you offer was clearly made on that basis. I would go back to the broker and to confirm that your offer stands provided that the vendor gets the webasto repaired or replaced and provides a warranty for the work, otherwise you will reduce your offer by the cost of getting the work done later.

• Greenie 2

The ball is in your court. You haven't paid the deposit yet. You can make the sale subject to all the equipment working and if the vendor agrees happy days.

As we don't know the details of the boat or price any other advice is hard to give.

Hi,

No disrespect to the OP, but once again we are faced with the problem of making an offer (with possible loss of deposit) without knowing the condition of the subject (boat in this instance).

Strange world, when will we reach the situation of offering things 'for sale' with a condition report..

Just a quick quote the wife got.

Would that include labour?

No, it doesn't. The unit only. How expensive can a straight swop cost? As others have said though, your offer was based on it working. Put the ball back in the sellers court. If they refuse to budge, at least you know what it would cost to replace. You can then either walk away, accept the cost, or agree something in the middle. Only you can decide which is the better option.

Do you know what's wrong with the Webasto? It's worth noting that they are fairly prone to breaking down if they're not serviced often (yearly) as they get caked up inside. This happened to my 15 year old Eberspacher (similar deal) and cost me £80 to get serviced. This fixed the problem. - though I don't know what the issue is with your Webasto but it could just be something similar.

No, don't know what's wrong with it...so as you say could be something relatively simple. Could be an honest owner flagging up a relatively minor issue....or.......

Some good sensible advice here...thanks.

Edited by kawaton

If you were told about the Webasto AFTER you made an offer, why don't you tell the broker that your offer was on the understanding that the Webasto (and all other equipment) was in good working order. Either the buyer has it repaired prior to completion of the sale or a further reduction is made to allow for the repair. If the unit was quite old then perhaps a proportionate reduction for replacement for new? Were you going to provide a url to the boat out of interest?

If you were told about the Webasto AFTER you made an offer, why don't you tell the broker that your offer was on the understanding that the Webasto (and all other equipment) was in good working order. Either the buyer has it repaired prior to completion of the sale or a further reduction is made to allow for the repair. If the unit was quite old then perhaps a proportionate reduction for replacement for new? Were you going to provide a url to the boat out of interest?

Hi

Yes, i was told after my offer was accepted, and just before taking deposit details.......so i held up the deal at that point.

I have told the broker that the vendor needs to get quote for repair and then we can negotiate the offer (basically quoted the above smile.png ) .......if its a costly repair.

broker seems to think they won't drop any further...guess we will see tomorrow.

Edited by kawaton

It may have been better to ask them if they will repair it before completion of the sale. They may be more obliging to do this than to reduce the sale price and it reassures them that you're keen to complete the sale.

It may have been better to ask them if they will repair it before completion of the sale. They may be more obliging to do this than to reduce the sale price and it reassures them that you're keen to complete the sale

i thought about that, but others have mentioned them doing a bodge job.

i said if the quote for repairs is low its a non-issue.....but if its a replacement boiler.....then re-negotiation. i think thats fair?

Good question.

We like the boat.....but hearing 3k for a new boiler?!?!

Before we knew this the offer was accepted below asking price......seems that we would end up therefore paying close to asking price if we need to pay for the boiler.

Admittedly the price of the boat has dropped a lot before getting to the current price......

There are always other boats out there, and in no rush......but the current agreed price is good I feel.....but less so with a new boiler on top

perhaps if they had put a new boiler in before the sale the selling price would of been another 3k on top of what they were asking, i think the cost in reduction to an offer should be a repair cost if you offerec under the asumption it was working and not based on the cost of a new boiler

Do you know what's wrong with the Webasto? It's worth noting that they are fairly prone to breaking down if they're not serviced often (yearly) as they get caked up inside. This happened to my 15 year old Eberspacher (similar deal) and cost me £80 to get serviced. This fixed the problem. - though I don't know what the issue is with your Webasto but it could just be something similar.

We ran our Webasto faultlessly for five years and never serviced it annually.

This was after advice on here that they are best left alone until they actuall go wrong.

Basically if they aren't broke don't try to fix them.

Your statement regarding Webasto reliability & being prone to coking up is just simply not true. In the days of high sulphur diesel this was the case. Since the introduction of low sulphur diesel you don't hear of the old problems any more. My well used Webasto Top C is 9 years old, has never been serviced and never broken down. I have no intention of doing anything to it until it packs up.

Hi all

So what should I do?

Also, there is a morso that apparently has been used to heat the boat and owners weren't using the webasto.

Would the morso provide hot water, or is the webasto needed for that?

What should I do?

Help .....please,?

If the boat was advertised as having something it should have it. The seller should really do the decent thing and get it fixed, if not willing I would insist on reducing your offer buy an ammount appropriate to get it fixed.

You might find the seller is obliged to by the agreement he has with the broker.