How much will a little fibreglass boat for Coventry canal cost me?

Luke1971

Featured Posts

Hi I'm after a small cheap boat to use on Coventry canal

I'm thinking 1 of the fibreglass type cruisers that 2 people can sleep on and use as a weekend boat. I'm not worried about the waterways licence as I will putchase this seperatly as il prob get the 1 that's for canal & river use.

So does any one no of a cheap 1st boat that's for sale or how much 1 is liable to cost me?

I'm in rugby/Coventry but can travel to get 1 anywere in the uk

Thanks in advance

Hi Luke, all depends on how much you want to spend and how comfort you want, you can pick up a good 20 footer for £3k ready to go.

Loads on ebay, if it is not that close to where you want to moor it make a weekend or a few to cruise it to where you want to keep it.

Better still if you can is get one with a trailer if you can tow it, this way you venture so may more places, change cruising areas when ever you want wink.png

Just remembered gumtree is good for a boat bargain now and then. and many boat yards, you would be shocked at what you can get a cruiser for, i have come by fully fitted boat that need a clean up for less than a grand.

an example

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142051830932?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Edited by W+T

Hi W+T

Thanks for your valued info I'm hoping to spend around £1500 and would like to do work on it as a project so I end up with a value for money boat but the link u sent me for eBay is the type of boat I have in mind but just not as in good condition.

Thanks for the input it was greatly received and il b looking on gumtree and eBay to c what's about

If you buy a licence that lets you use your boat on the Coventry canal, it will be a canal and rivers licence. There is no CRT licence that lets you use their canals but not their rivers.

Currently a grand

Shetland Speedwell 20 ft Cabin Cruiser with Yamaha 9.9 4 stroke Outboard

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shetland-Speedwell-20-ft-Cabin-Cruiser-with-Yamaha-9-9-4-stroke-Outboard-/112052652747?hash=item1a16dbcacb:g:u9wAAOSw-KFXfmf0

Cambridgeshire think it's narrow beam you'd have to check.

Only downside is the petrol outboard but for a grand and a half you may be struggling to find a diesel inboard engined cruiser.

Wow!!

Guys this forum is great

Alan fin her that's great info so thank you very much the info I'm receiving is very much appreciated!

Mendip_locks thanks for the links too il take a look at them!?

I meant Alan_fincher ??

Hi, I'm having to make a few posts so I can get back into the Virtual Pub. New rules apply.

Having looked in here for inspiration I surprised at some of the high and low prices on offer.

Took me back to the days when we were looking for something similar.

All comes down to the bottom line of Buyer Beware.

Our little fixed upper cost us quite a bit in the long run but gave us a lot of pleasure "Messing about in boats" and a lot of happy memories !

Good luck

Hi W+T

Thanks for your valued info I'm hoping to spend around £1500 and would like to do work on it as a project so I end up with a value for money boat but the link u sent me for eBay is the type of boat I have in mind but just not as in good condition.

Thanks for the input it was greatly received and il b looking on gumtree and eBay to c what's about

Don't know if Charity dock at Bedworth have anything, near to you in Coventry so a phone call & possibly a look see

One other thng i would look at is if you are intending on a long term purchase then go for a good well made boat like a Burland, Norman etc, these are better built and solid boats, Dawncraft are ok but not aswell built as others.I can not vouch for Buckingham all though i have one and was told they are well build boats this was made by the apprentice i think.

How much of a project are you looking for? I have an old 22ft GRP that I'd take for £400 for, but it really is serious project territory-other than being watertight, there is pretty much nothing else positive I can say about it, and it would need to be completely redone inside.

You're welcome to come and have a look though if you like-it's in Rugby, just drop me a message. It is out on the bank at the moment so you can have a proper look at it, and could be craned in/put on a lorry or trailer for you for an extra cost.

Edited by Starcoaster

hi

one for sale br 24 on Coventry at tuttle hill Nuneaton

hi nomad do you have any more info on it ??

How much of a project are you looking for? I have an old 22ft GRP that I'd take for £400 for, but it really is serious project territory-other than being watertight, there is pretty much nothing else positive I can say about it, and it would need to be completely redone inside.

You're welcome to come and have a look though if you like-it's in Rugby, just drop me a message. It is out on the bank at the moment so you can have a proper look at it, and could be craned in/put on a lorry or trailer for you for an extra cost.

Hi star coaster what make/model is it and were about a in rugby?

Out of curiosity people have mentioned good makes and bad makes of boats,

Does any one no if mayland 20 2 berth are any good?

People have mentioned good and bad boats so does any one no if mayland 20 2 berth cruisers are any good?

Hi, this is the boat: I am sure someone will fill me in on the make shortly, it is one that you see quite a lot of around (albeit usually in better nick)! But for the life of me, I can't remember... It might be a Creighton.

If you want to ask anything or come along and have a look, just let me know.

WP_20160719_15_41_09_Pro_zpsbqm8zyni.jpg

WP_20160719_15_41_21_Pro_zpsguxzxp9w.jpg

WP_20160719_15_41_16_Pro_zpsqfbezcd9.jpg

Dawncraft Dandy windows look ok wink.png I would check the front screen, they can be a pain and expensive to replace, not the best built boats but then not the worst. I have sold many of them and work on a fair few awell.

Edited by W+T