Historic view Coventry Canal

zenataomm

Featured Posts

Having found a website dedicated to the history of Warwickshire "Our Warwickshire.org" I found this photo.

Basin-Coventry-Canal-Coal-pit-fields-Bed

Would it have been here Google Street View ? Which is taken from the first complete bridge after Sutton's Stop as you enter the housing estate.

No idea what 'Google Street View' is, but that is a photo of Newdigate Arm taken from the towpath side with Bedworth Hill bridge just out of the picture to the right.

The boats will be a pair of either British Waterway's or Willow Wren's loaded for Colne Valley, sometime in the 1950's or 60's.

Colne Valley [ otherwise known as the 'Stink Hole'] burned slack from Newdigate with dried sewage sludge to make fertilizer. The slack had to be kept dry to work in the furnaces, which is why the boats are clothed up.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

Having found a website dedicated to the history of Warwickshire "Our Warwickshire.org" I found this photo.

Basin-Coventry-Canal-Coal-pit-fields-Bed

Would it have been here Google Street View ? Which is taken from the first complete bridge after Sutton's Stop as you enter the housing estate.

No idea what 'Google Street View' is, but that is a photo of Newdigate Arm taken from the towpath side with Bedworth Hill bridge just out of the picture to the right.

The boats will be a pair of either British Waterway's or Willow Wren's loaded for Colne Valley, sometime in the 1950's or 60's.

Colne Valley [ otherwise known as the 'Stink Hole'] burned slack from Newdigate with dried sewage sludge to make fertilizer. The slack had to be kept dry to work in the furnaces, which is why the boats are clothed up.

Tony is confirming where you think it is Zen. Nice sleuthing.

Staffordshire has a searchable website called "Staffordshire Past Track". It has interesting photos of the Coventry Canal and others. Lots of interesting photos if you just search for "canal".

Here is a photo of my house 75 years before it was built.

http://www.search.staffspasttrack.org.uk/Details.aspx?&ResourceID=5959&PageIndex=1&KeyWord=Amington&SortOrder=2

Edited to add search for canals.

Edited by cuthound

Great image.

As ever, I would love to know which boats, particularly as I guess one of them might be mine, )(well about a 5% chance, I think!).

If the image is genuinely 1968, then I think after the repossession of boats by BW at the start of that year, Willow Wren CTS were by then down to less than 20 operational pairs, and this must be one of them.

I can't immediately remember at what date the "stink hole" traffic ended, though.

Pure guess,

From the angle, but it could be Bilster and Angel, pig of a job shovelling down the chute from the rail truck, it was dust rather than slack, if it is what I think George Harris loaded same day, we shared the loading, leastways me and Janet with George supervising and helping with his hand !, promptly to be told by Doris at Suttons we had to go none stop, because Colne Valley was almost out of fuel, happy days.......

Pure guess,

From the angle, but it could be Bilster and Angel, pig of a job shovelling down the chute from the rail truck, it was dust rather than slack, if it is what I think George Harris loaded same day, we shared the loading, leastways me and Janet with George supervising and helping with his hand !, promptly to be told by Doris at Suttons we had to go none stop, because Colne Valley was almost out of fuel, happy days.......

Thanks for that reminiscence. I see that you are just along the Old River Nene from me.

Thanks also to Zena' for posting this most evocative snap. I have often boated past the remains of the arm and wondered what it must have looked like when it was operational.

Pure guess,

The motor in the photo is a big Northwich, . . . so it can't be 'Bilster'.

That was my first loading with Willow Wren with Comet & Dabchick, Ray White was showing me the ropes, 49tons 18cwt on my first of many trips to Colne Valley, and 50 years later I was back working there with Wood Hall & Heward, as Black Cap says Happy Days.

• Greenie 1