iPad no longer shows my location on Google maps

swift1894

Featured Posts

Settings ... Privacy... Location services... (make sure turned on) ... Google maps, then set to "while using"

Yes I already had those settings. I switched them all off and then back on again but still no joy.

I took the iPad outside in case of boat = steel box syndrome.

On Google maps I just get " Location could not be determined"

Yes I already had those settings. I switched them all off and then back on again but still no joy.

This has come up on here before along with a solution - there is a thread somewhere about it.

Need to go digging.

ed - found the thread.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=80233&hl=ipad

further ed. in fact it was the OP who asked it previously - see the answer in the thread - completely re-boot/shutdown the iPad it worked last time.

Edited by MJG

Presumably you don't have it in airplane mode by accident?

Try shutting down (long press on sleep/wake button then slide to shutdown), restart. Wifi /cellular data turned on?

Can't think of anything else.

Does the iPad have a SIM card? It uses the mobile network as well as Wifi hotspots to get a rough idea where it is then it uses GPS to pinpoint where you are.

Does the iPad have a SIM card? It uses the mobile network as well as Wifi hotspots to get a rough idea where it is then it uses GPS to pinpoint where you are.

Its all covered in the thread I linked to, along with a solution.

(It would be good if the OP could confirm if this has worked this time or not to save people posting repeat suggestions.)

Its all covered in the thread I linked to, along with a solution.

(It would be good if the OP could confirm if this has worked this time or not to save people posting repeat suggestions.)

It isn't clear if the OP's is the GSM model as he said "No it doesn't have a SIM card if you mean can it be used as a mobile phone." , as even GSM iPad's can't be used as a mobile.

To the OP, if it doesn't have a SIM card then it will only use Wifi to obtain it's location. If your not near any hotspots (or wifi is disabled) then it won't know where it is and be unable to obtain it's location.

It isn't clear if the OP's is the GSM model as he said "No it doesn't have a SIM card if you mean can it be used as a mobile phone." , as even GSM iPad's can't be used as a mobile.

To the OP, if it doesn't have a SIM card then it will only use Wifi to obtain it's location. If your not near any hotspots (or wifi is disabled) then it won't know where it is and be unable to obtain it's location.

I'm not sure it matters does it - given this?

Success!

I shut it down properly, Switched back on and my new location has come up on Google Maps.

Not yet coming up on Google Earth but that's very slow at the moment so it may come on later.

Cheers everybody and thanks for all your suggestions.

Only Ipads with gsm slot afaik has the satnave receiver bits, otherwise as you say it triangulate's from WiFi sources.

I'm not sure it matters does it - given this?

It would matter, if the OP only has the wifi only model then it total relies on seeing wifi hotspots. Restarting / switching wifi off/on will cause it to do a wifi scan and may find hotspots it couldn't see before (although I expect the iPad would do a rescan when requesting a location!).

This has come up on here before along with a solution - there is a thread somewhere about it.

Need to go digging.

ed - found the thread.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=80233&hl=ipad

further ed. in fact it was the OP who asked it previously - see the answer in the thread - completely re-boot/shutdown the iPad it worked last time.

Ooh! That's embarrassing. (Senior moment)

I'll read it again and see what happens.

For what it is worth, my iPad (wifi only) does not show locatoin when using it tethered to my iPhone, but is does show location when on other wifi connections like at home.

Mine is the same and my guess is that your home wifi and other earby wifi points it can see are in the apple location database. However your iphone wifi name will not be in the database.

It really annoys me that the ipad will not connect by bluetooth to a cheap GPS unt, but then there is no money for apple in that is there!!!

Mine is the same and my guess is that your home wifi and other earby wifi points it can see are in the apple location database. However your iphone wifi name will not be in the database.

It really annoys me that the ipad will not connect by bluetooth to a cheap GPS unt, but then there is no money for apple in that is there!!!

I also find it strange that given the phone knows where it is, and the iPad/iPhone connection is a "special" wifi connection, ie it know it is 2 Apple devices, then the IPad could use the phone to provide the location information.

My Android tablet is much the same. All last summer whilst on the Great Ouse Google Maps persisted in telling me I was in Peterborough but once we got back to civilisation it was OK. All through the winter around Birmingham it showed our location but after leaving there in April and coming up to Llangollen and back it has remained locked in Wolverhampton.

I put this down the poor signal, many moorings having only poor 2G. I'm pretty sure that once we get back to civilisation all will be well.

Or I could put it outside for a while to register the GPS.

I don't have a sim in my Ipad and when its outside it knows where it is with no wifi or sim card. I use it to track my map for my blog.

But it is an iPad that could have a sim, surely? iPads that don't have the cellular bit (ie can't take a SIM) don't have GPS either, as I understand it.

But it is an iPad that could have a sim, surely? iPads that don't have the cellular bit (ie can't take a SIM) don't have GPS either, as I understand it.

Yes it could have, But I thought the one in question use to work. I have no idea about other Ipads, I don't like it much

I don't have a sim in my Ipad and when its outside it knows where it is with no wifi or sim card. I use it to track my map for my blog.

It doesn't need to connect to the wifi just scan for hotspots. The GSM version doesn't need the wifi at all. I'm not sure if it needs the SIM card the GSM version to do the positioning using the mobile network (as it will still as them)

Yes that is correct. I believe that this is about iPads that do not have the cellular modular, and therefore also do not have gps, it is part of the same chip I think. So the only way they can know location is from wifi.

Those that have met me won't believe this,

I am in the process of applying for a bus pass. Yep! It's true.

Anyway, I have come to the bit where I take a photo, and upload it to the council application form electronically. I can upload it but can't crop or change it as the form requests. Any ideas. Off topic.

I have an iPad that doesn't have a sim. I connect via a dongle.on topic.

Martyn

Those that have met me won't believe this,

I am in the process of applying for a bus pass. Yep! It's true.

Anyway, I have come to the bit where I take a photo, and upload it to the council application form electronically. I can upload it but can't crop or change it as the form requests. Any ideas. Off topic.

I have an iPad that doesn't have a sim. I connect via a dongle.on topic.

Martyn

Go into photos, tap the photo and pick edit. You can use the crop action, next to top on right side to crop the photo.