moored under electricity pylons, boat hull vibrating!

Dave123

Featured Posts

Noticed a rather odd vibrating sensation, particularly on the stern doors and hull of our steel narrow boat last night. At first thought it was a water pump or perhaps shower extractor fan, but turning off all the electrics didn't stop it. We were moored directly under some high voltage pylons (just beyond huddlesford junction) as it was a bit more open and sunny than surrounding towpath. When we pulled the boat back clear of the pylons the vibrating stopped. It was a very gentle but high frequency vibration, we couldn't hear it but could feel it if you put your hand gently on the boat.

Does anyone know what caused this? Is it a magnetic affect? Will it have done any damage (thinking of anodes or batteries)?

I am not an expert on this subject, but I can well imagine that the electrical and magnetic fields around high voltage lines could cause a large mass of steel like a narrowboat to vibrate.

An electrical current passing along a wire will generate a magnetic field.

The AC current in the power lines changes direction 50 times every second. This will cause any magnetic material (e.g. steel) that is in the magnetic field to vibrate to some degree.

If the current is high enough and the boat is close enough, then you might be able to feel the vibration.

This is how a loudspeaker works, where the vibration is transferred to the cone setting up sound waves.

It's unlikely that there would be any damage caused to batteries or anodes.

The 132kv power lines in our village were buried underground to make way for a new school, they would have been directly overhead the school if they stayed on the pylon.

God knows how much that cost!

Flourescent lights igniting under power lines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXhZvyGtMrk

Start igniting at around 5 minutes.

Omg that cant be good for us.

The 132kv power lines in our village were buried underground to make way for a new school, they would have been directly overhead the school if they stayed on the pylon.

God knows how much that cost!

Well they cant send the kids home after school still glowing.

If you stand under (some) pylons holding a fluorescent tube it will ignite and glow.

Leaky electricity - people who live in such areas claim it causes leukaemia.

There is a small estate not far from where I live that is crossed by a high voltage power line(s).

People on that estate do claim that there is a disproportionate number of the residents have suffered (and died) from various forms of cancer. They of course attribute it to the presence of the lines.

It could of course be a mix of myth and superstition with no basis.

There is a small estate not far from where I live that is crossed by a high voltage power line(s).

People on that estate do claim that there is a disproportionate number of the residents have suffered (and died) from various forms of cancer. They of course attribute it to the presence of the lines.

It could of course be a mix of myth and superstition with no basis.

From the Governments own website re Cancer

Exposure from power lines. Although a study in 1979 pointed to a possible association between living near electric power lines and childhood leukemia (15), more recent studies have had mixed findings (1624).

• A pooled analysis of nine studies reported a twofold increase in risk of childhood leukemia among children with exposures of 0.4 μT or higher. Less than 1 percent of the children in the studies experienced this level of exposure (25).
  • A meta-analysis of 15 studies observed a 1.7-fold increase in childhood leukemia among children with exposures of 0.3 μT or higher. A little more than 3 percent of children in the studies experienced this level of exposure (26).

These studies have resulted in Schools, playgrounds etc not being built, or demolished, if they are in the vicinity of overhead power lines - alternatively the cables are buried (at enormous expense).

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I think we were just glad it wasn't caused by anything in the boat! It was a bit unsettling. Glad is it unlikely to have caused any damage, I'm sure if it could somebody would have done something about it before now!

Exposure from power lines. Although a study in 1979 pointed to a possible association between living near electric power lines and childhood leukemia (15), more recent studies have had mixed findings (1624).

• A pooled analysis of nine studies reported a twofold increase in risk of childhood leukemia among children with exposures of 0.4 μT or higher. Less than 1 percent of the children in the studies experienced this level of exposure (25).
  • A meta-analysis of 15 studies observed a 1.7-fold increase in childhood leukemia among children with exposures of 0.3 μT or higher. A little more than 3 percent of children in the studies experienced this level of exposure (26).
These studies have resulted in Schools, playgrounds etc not being built, or demolished, if they are in the vicinity of overhead power lines - alternatively the cables are buried (at enormous expense).

Indeed!!

Form the original planning for Little Stanion.

Power lines.

The relocation of the power lines will allow for the full floorspace to be built. Whilst physical

construction can proceed with lines still present, this will be at the cost of lesser floorspace.

The viability of the whole development is dependent upon their relocation. Applicant

discussions with Western Power are on-going regarding the undergrounding and re-routeing

of the power lines, with the proposed diversion to be the subject of a separate application

process.

The overhead section of the western line will end at a termination tower to the south of Zone

B and will be diverted underground along the southern and western periphery of Zone B and

Zone A to a termination tower at the north-western corner of the site. The eastern line is to

run from a termination tower in the south-eastern corner of the site, around the eastern

boundary, meeting Geddington Road. It will run westwards underneath the newly created

combined footpath and cycleway eventually joining a fourth termination tower in the north

east corner of the site.

The majority of the works will occur in the first three years, after permission has been

secured under other procedures to relocate the power line across the site.

I guess Corby Council didn't fancy a second round of litigation!!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corby_toxic_waste_case

I played around with some high field strengths a few years ago as part of a research project and you can get some very "interesting" effects...

A colleague of mine had an MRI scan which used a 4 Tesla static field. He said that as he was moved into the field his perception was affected, which is hardly surprising since nerves are akin to cables and moving them through the field will induce currents.

If you really want to get anoracky about it google ICNIRP guidelines.

Edited by Chalky

I am not an expert on this subject, but I can well imagine that the electrical and magnetic fields around high voltage lines could cause a large mass of steel like a narrowboat to vibrate.

An electrical current passing along a wire will generate a magnetic field.

The AC current in the power lines changes direction 50 times every second. This will cause any magnetic material (e.g. steel) that is in the magnetic field to vibrate to some degree.

If the current is high enough and the boat is close enough, then you might be able to feel the vibration.

This is how a loudspeaker works, where the vibration is transferred to the cone setting up sound waves.

It's unlikely that there would be any damage caused to batteries or anodes.

No, 100 times a second. It changes, then it changes back, during each full cycle of 50Hz mains. .

You are correct, of course.

Makes all the difference...

Actually the electric field is more complex than this because overhead cables are 3 phase. It will be a composite containing 50Hz and 150Hz sine waves.

(sorry - too pedantic again)

Edited by Tiggs

Actually the electric field is more complex than this because overhead cables are 3 phase. It will be a composite containing 50Hz and 150Hz sine waves.

(sorry - too pedantic again)

Surely its only 50Hz? The phases will be out of phase but a vector sum at any location will still be at 50Hz.

More importantly the OP should be careful with this post as he is technically stealing energy from the electric companies and so could get into right proper trouble. Didn't a block get fined a few years ago for installing a transformer in his garden shed to take electricity from the overhead power lines?

..........Dave

Many countries have an exclusion zone for dwelling either side of 132kv power lines. The UK doesn't.

Over 25 years ago there was a very interesting article in Wireless World titled "The Killing Fields" that dealt with the problem of HV powerlines and cancer made me sit up and think especially as it also pointed out that as a radio ham I was 10 times more likely to develop Acute myeloid leukemia. Luckily nothing yet but I did stop transmitting in 93.

Surely its only 50Hz? The phases will be out of phase but a vector sum at any location will still be at 50Hz.

No, because the canal is a different distance to each line this give the 50Hz. The vectors rotate in a.c. and are out of phase by 120 degrees so don't cancel giving 150Hz - best to think of it in the time domain anyway.

Edited by Tiggs

Many countries have an exclusion zone for dwelling either side of 132kv power lines. The UK doesn't.

Over 25 years ago there was a very interesting article in Wireless World titled "The Killing Fields" that dealt with the problem of HV powerlines and cancer made me sit up and think especially as it also pointed out that as a radio ham I was 10 times more likely to develop Acute myeloid leukemia. Luckily nothing yet but I did stop transmitting in 93.

I had it all against me :

Radio Ham

Mobile DX CBer with 400w amp

Boat with Radar.

I was always told to remain seated when on the flybridge as otherwise your head is in line with the a 2kw radar.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

If you stand under (some) pylons holding a fluorescent tube it will ignite and glow.

Leaky electricity - people who live in such areas claim it causes leukaemia.

Mr tesla would be pleased! As this is how he thought all electricity should flow threw the air.

There was a farmer in Devon who got a visit from The Electricity Generating people and The Rozzers.

They had a warrant to look in a barn he had that was directly beneath one of their pylons.

Inside on the top floor he'd built several large coils and was slaving off juice for free.

He was done for it, although I considered it an induced good idea ....... did you see what I did there?