Wiring diagram required for rotary cam changeover switch

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

Farnell will have the right switch but not particularly cheap, well cheap compared to chandlers !!

Sometimes they come up on flea bay but make sure they are what you need so check the descriptions carefully. Two pole as a minimum but if you can get a 3 pole then you can be clever about making sure things like chargers and immersion heaters can only be used when your on shore or genny power.

I suspect you mean 2 position minimum and 3 position better. However many positions it has it should be dual pole.

Tony

No he means 3 pole, see the smart gauge site for example wiring diagrams.

I don't see any 3 pole switchery there. 4 pole, possibly. If you use a 3 pole switch then presumably you aren't switching the neutral to the immersion heater etc which is not best practice.

I don't see any 3 pole switchery there. 4 pole, possibly. If you use a 3 pole switch then presumably you aren't switching the neutral to the immersion heater etc which is not best practice.

Aye ya right, 4 pole.

Aye ya right, 4 pole.

So I believe I was correct when I wrote...

I suspect you mean 2 position minimum and 3 position better. However many positions it has it should be dual pole.

Tony

... particularly noting the rest of his post.

Tony

So I believe I was correct when I wrote...

No pole is still correct, see below diagram from smartguage site. a 4 pole 2 position switch is used to turn the immersion or other high loads off when switching to the Inverter but on when using the shore power.

ac_system_12t.gif

You can do with a 3 pole by not switching the neutral (bottom pole on diagram), but as nicknorman said, it's not good practice.

WARNING: If you don't understand the above diagram, please do not attempt wire. AC voltages kill, so get someone who is competent with AC electrics to wire.

Edited by Robbo

Yes I did mean 3 pole, although accept nicks point about switching the neutral in gibbos diagram ( actually iirc it was someone else's diagram on gibbos site). I personally choose to do it a slightly different way using 3 poles as I didn't have space (depth) for a 4 pole unit.

I needed to do something having invented perpetual motion with the old inverter running charger charging batteries running inverter routine... Which I said I'd never be stupid enough to do until I did it.....

Eta Wotever : the number of positions is going to be determined by number of sources and whether you want an off position.

Edited by jonathanA

You can do with a 3 pole by not switching the neutral (bottom pole on diagram), but as nicknorman said, it's not good practice.

I'm fully aware of that diagram, but that's not how Jonathan's post read. Whatever, if you're not going to switch the neutral then all you need is a 2 pole switch; a third pole would serve no purpose.

Tony

Yes I did mean 3 pole, although accept nicks point about switching the neutral in gibbos diagram ( actually iirc it was someone else's diagram on gibbos site). I personally choose to do it a slightly different way using 3 poles as I didn't have space (depth) for a 4 pole unit.

What do you intend to switch with the third pole?

I used a 5 position 4 pole 65AMP switch ---- GEN, OFF, SHORE, OFF, INV

Purchased off ebay for £20 bnib !!!! nearest Blue Sea equiv by the same manufacturer $413 yes $413

https://www.bluesea.com/products/9077/AC_Rotary_Switch_-_OFF_%2B_3_Positions_240V_AC_65A

Ray

I used a Auto Transfer Switch to switch between shore and generator as I'm too lazy to use a manual device biggrin.png

The switch is actually just a contactor and time relay.

Wiring diagram here - https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-Transfer-Switch-EN.pdf

Mine is wired slightly different as I have an old multiplus so the output goes to the multi, as my multi doesn't have the 2 outlets I rewired so the relay for the remote panel is on when shore or generator is used and use that for enabling use of highloads.

I'm fully aware of that diagram, but that's not how Jonathan's post read. Whatever, if you're not going to switch the neutral then all you need is a 2 pole switch; a third pole would serve no purpose.

You replied to the below so it is how Jonathan's post reads. You need to switch the neutral if feeding from shore / inverter but not for the high loads (if wiring like that diagram). So a 3 pole is minimum (but pref 4) if your going to do the "clever highload stuff"

Farnell will have the right switch but not particularly cheap, well cheap compared to chandlers !!

Sometimes they come up on flea bay but make sure they are what you need so check the descriptions carefully. Two pole as a minimum but if you can get a 3 pole then you can be clever about making sure things like chargers and immersion heaters can only be used when your on shore or genny power.

Edited by Robbo

Oh good grief! Yes, I replied to Jonathan's post which makes absolutely no sense if he was indeed referring to poles. How does a third pole mean that

... you can get clever...

???? A two pole switch does that if you're not switching the neutral, and a four pole switch does it properly.

So a 3 pole is minimum (but pref 4) if your going to do the "clever highload stuff"

Please explain how this third pole allows you to be "clever".

Oh good grief! Yes, I replied to Jonathan's post which makes absolutely no sense if he was indeed referring to poles. How does a third pole mean that

???? A two pole switch does that if you're not switching the neutral, and a four pole switch does it properly.

You obviously don't understand the wiring diagram.

You need a minimum of a 2 pole switch to switch between shore and inverter as you need to switch both live and neutral. If you don't the RCD will trip due to the inverter having a neutral / earth bond.

If you want to switch high loads off when switching to the inverter you need another switch, as the 3rd pole (and 4th) are another switch you can use these (but benefit from the selected position), these are feed from the output of pole 1 and 2 but via the MCB/ RCD. As its feed from the already switched and give via the MCB/RCD you only need to do the live so hence only the 3rd pole need be used. However it's recommended on immersions to switch off both poles hense recommended using a 4 pole switch.

Edited by Robbo

I've seen lots of these switches on boats, there are a couple of boats here at the mo with them and they seem to be switching between shoreline and inverter and whatnot, quite heavy loads I think without any trouble at all. Many hire boats used them too, like older Black Prince boats for example. I don't know how many poles they have though.

Or to switch on the Christmas lights in Warsaw, the Poles would like that.

Is that the double Poles or the triple Poles ?

Nick laugh.png

Twins, triplets and quadruplets only.

You obviously don't understand the wiring diagram.

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

Take a look at the diagram, now ignore the neutrals - how many poles are left?

So you can switch on high loads when only on shore whist still only having one RCD.

Two poles does that nicely. You obviously don't understand the wiring diagram.

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

Take a look at the diagram, now ignore the neutrals - how many poles are left?

Two poles does that nicely. You obviously don't understand the wiring diagram.

You can't ignore the neutral from the shore/inverter, it needs to switched with the live. Anything after this (the RCD) only needs the live switching.

Edited by Robbo

You can't ignore the neutral from the shore/inverter...

Yes you can. You shouldn't, but then you shouldn't only be switching the live, but you can.

Once again, it shows the nonsense in Jonathan's original post where he wrote:

Two pole as a minimum but if you can get a 3 pole then you can be clever about making sure things like chargers and immersion heaters can only be used when your on shore or genny power.

Yes you can. You shouldn't, but then you shouldn't only be switching the live, but you can.

The inverter if wired correctly having a neutral / earth bond will trip the shores RCD if you don't switch the neutral.

Once again, it shows the nonsense in Jonathan's original post where he wrote:

Jonathan's post isn't nonsense as the 3rd pole is used to turn on the high loads live from the already switched live.

Edited by Robbo