Boat Blacking

Featured Posts

Hi all had my boat was blacked last year and needs doing again , they did a very poor job iam getting to old to do it my self and we don't live aboard just need somebody that can do a proper job , not a quick power wash and one coat, our boat is moored near Northwich in Cheshire so do not want to be sailing for days ps we love our boat and when we take her in for repair the only seem to do half a job just need a reliable boat yard thanks

It is a real shame you have had service like that, I have no doubt someone will be able to recommend a decent boatyard in the vicinity soon.

The minimum you should have is a decent pressure washing then two complete coats of blacking over two days, some boatyards will do 3 coats or a run round the waterline as a third.

Normal costs are £9-14 per foot depending on where in the country you are, I would say you would be looking at the lower end of that scale up there.

Get some recommendations and find a boatyard that treats you like a valued customer, not just someone to take money off .

Allow 48 hours after final blacking at least, some boat yards have told us 'ow you only need 4 days'

Might as well not bother otherwise.

I am doing ours soon and have booked 7 days, dodge the people who say it will take a few days, good luck in finding someone reputable.

This is very temperature dependant - normal bitumenous hull coverings bond according to temperature not time.

In Summer (daytime temps above 18-20 deg c, it is recommended that coats are applied 12 hours apart and no more than 24 for best intercoat bonding and adherence.

If pressure washed early on the first morning(say Monday) on a bright dry day with a breeze, the first coat can go on when the hull is completely dry - probably mid afternoon. Next coat next morning(Tuesday). Refloat Thursday morning - 48 hours later. Next boat in...

It is fairly normal to get two boats a week in during Summer months, from mid Sept-Late Oct to early March-end April this will slip to 3 a fortnight and then one a week in Winter.

This is very temperature dependant - normal bitumenous hull coverings bond according to temperature not time.

In Summer (daytime temps above 18-20 deg c, it is recommended that coats are applied 12 hours apart and no more than 24 for best intercoat bonding and adherence.

If pressure washed early on the first morning(say Monday) on a bright dry day with a breeze, the first coat can go on when the hull is completely dry - probably mid afternoon. Next coat next morning(Tuesday). Refloat Thursday morning - 48 hours later. Next boat in...

It is fairly normal to get two boats a week in during Summer months, from mid Sept-Late Oct to early March-end April this will slip to 3 a fortnight and then one a week in Winter.

Agree and also dependant on data sheets for different types of coatings.

I would not chance anyone telling me 3 or 4 days because they cant read the weather.

That's why I would never trust anyone, just because it's black doesn't mean it's a good job.

Sorry but it's how I see it.

Don't mean to be rude matt.

Edited by Greylady2

Agree and also dependant on data sheets for different types of coatings.

I would not chance anyone telling me 3 or 4 days because they cant read the weather.

That's why I would never trust anyone, just because it's black doesn't mean it's a good job.

Sorry but it's how I see it.

Don't mean to be rude matt.

No offence taken, i know there are sloppy operators out there, we often have to deal with the aftermath!!

We delay boats if the temps aren't right, or the humidity is too high etc, as do most decent boatyards.

It seems the OP is suffering using a rubbish one.

Edited by matty40s

No offence taken, i know there are sloppy operators out there, we often have to deal with the aftermath!!

We delay boats if the temps aren't right, or the humidity is too high etc, as do most decent boatyards.

It seems the OP is suffering using a rubbish one.

You have a really good reputation matty it would be great if the op could get to you.

:')

Thanks

I had mine done at Red Bull services, just up the Macclesfield from its junction with the Trent and Mersey. Bitumen is £9 a foot or 2 pack epoxy £10. I went for the latter. Tony does 3 coats below the waterline, 2 above. 48 hours drying time before going back in. The yard is outside so it's possible for the weather to get in the way but the advantage is that you can live on your boat comfortably while the work is being done. Tony even offered me a free electrical hook up.

Recommended.

Thanks for all your replies i think i we hire a dry dock for two weeks and do it my self and i have a small leak on my prop shaft seals so might do that while she is out of the water, and any other jobs , I will give the hull a rust treatment before then 3 coats of blacking and see how long that lasts

Thanks for all your replies i think i we hire a dry dock for two weeks and do it my self and i have a small leak on my prop shaft seals so might do that while she is out of the water, and any other jobs , I will give the hull a rust treatment before then 3 coats of blacking and see how long that lasts

Some blacking is recommended to go onto bare steel not on top of rust treatment, so it may not stick so well.

I would like to see some reports 5 years down the road before i use it

They have four years down the line I spoke to them the other day, I have ordered some. My hull was shot blasted, Zingered and zinger blacked last year, but unfortunately the black part isnt UV stable and has gone silver on one side!!!

So its coming out in August to have 3 coats of Keel black, my mate is doing his widebeam at the same time.

I will be repairing any damage with zinger however first, but he is just going for it with 3 coats, it cant be any worse than the last stuff which has only lasted a couple of years.

I had mine done at Red Bull services, just up the Macclesfield from its junction with the Trent and Mersey. Bitumen is £9 a foot or 2 pack epoxy £10. I went for the latter. Tony does 3 coats below the waterline, 2 above. 48 hours drying time before going back in. The yard is outside so it's possible for the weather to get in the way but the advantage is that you can live on your boat comfortably while the work is being done. Tony even offered me a free electrical hook up.

Recommended.

I would be very grateful if somebody could advise where this is, or contact details - couldn't find it using Google. Thanks.

I would be very grateful if somebody could advise where this is, or contact details - couldn't find it using Google. Thanks.

There is a yard and drydock and the T&M end, just at the bend before it goes over the aquaduct. I assume this is where is meant.

Rather than the BW yard nearby and of the same name.

Google maps link:

https://goo.gl/maps/Y86ii7vwYnu

Daniel

Even the best blacking job with bitumen will only last about 3 years so there's an optimum point at which the effort that goes into it shouldn't surpass the result.

I once went around my boat after pressure washing to prep and remove old flaking paint, before applying 2 coats of Rylards Rytex and 2 coats of Rylards Premium. That's 4 coats of bitumen. I did it all myself over a week and was very proud of the job, however it still only lasted 3 years, so probably not worth all that effort.

As a rule of thumb, when you start to see rust on the waterline you've probably got another year to get the boat out of the water. This assumes normal corrosion and the boat has anodes, not accelerated galvanic corrosion. I used to worry when I saw rust on the waterline, but every time the boat has come out the water (a year after first seeing the rust) I've wire brushed the area and it was just surface rust without pitting.

I would like to know of any good boatyards on the shroppy that make a good job of blacking. We are moored near market drayton and I'm looking around for September time

Thanks

Give NorburyJunction a try.been owned by same people for years and nice people also.

No idea on availability or prices.

Martyn