Night visitor on North Oxford last night

Puckle

Featured Posts

I had a knock on the door, I opened the door and there stood a sad looking dirty filthy looking geezer, he asked if I had anything to eat, being a compassionate sole I asked if he liked cold rice pudding. He said oh! Yes,

I said 'come back tomorrow, it's still hot!'

Classic - had a good chuckle made my day - thanks biggrin.png

I had a knock on the door, I opened the door and there stood a sad looking dirty filthy looking geezer, he asked if I had anything to eat, being a compassionate sole I asked if he liked cold rice pudding. He said oh! Yes,

I said 'come back tomorrow, it's still hot!'

Naughty - but i do like you ?

Not to do with boating, but about a stranger calling -:

For a holiday we booked a family holiday in an old crofters cottage in North Wales, located above Bala Lake. Right out of the way place, ee had to go through several cattle gates into dense woods of fir tree's just to get to it.

It had a stone floor kitchen/scullery, one evenning we were sitting playing family cards and games with the kids in the lounge, when i hear footsteps on this floor, i don't do ghosts.

Being from an East London upbringing, i react very agressive to a possible threat to my family, i'm intent on opening the kitchen door and extracting the teeth of whoever was on the ofher side.

And trust me, that would definitely have happened and then be asking questions later. had the guy not spoke in (i think) Dutch - with about 4mm of fist stopping room left.

This couple had got lost travelling by car, and trying to find their way back to populated parts of the world - seeing our lights on, not getting a response to any knocking had entered.

Yup, i know should have locked the door, but middle of nowhere nobody should come in. I do wonder had ig neen the owner, and had spoken in Welsh of English how much damagd i could have ?

Alan

Edited by HappyDayz

Not to do with boating, but about a stranger calling -:

For a holiday we booked a family holiday in an old crofters cottage in North Wales, located above Bala Lake. Right out of the way place, ee had to go through several cattle gates into dense woods of fir tree's just to get to it.

It had a stone floor kitchen/scullery, one evenning we were sitting playing family cards and games with the kids in the lounge, when i hear footsteps on this floor, i don't do ghosts.

Being from an East London upbringing, i react very agressive to a possible threat to my family, i'm intent on opening the kitchen door and extracting the teeth of whoever was on the ofher side.

And trust me, that would definitely have happened and then be asking questions later. had the guy not spoke in (i think) Dutch - with about 4mm of fist stopping room left.

This couple had got lost travelling by car, and trying to find their way back to populated parts of the world - seeing our lights on, not getting a response to any knocking had entered.

Yup, i know should have locked the door, but middle of nowhere nobody should come in. I do wonder had ig neen the owner, and had spoken in Welsh of English how much damagd i could have

Alan

That seems an over aggressive attitude but I never have understood city folk! I live not far from where you were staying and it is quite common to not lock the door and also for someone when not getting an answer when knocking to open the door and shout. I agree though not many folk would just walk in.

That seems an over aggressive attitude but I never have understood city folk! I live not far from where you were staying and it is quite common to not lock the door and also for someone when not getting an answer when knocking to open the door and shout. I agree though not many folk would just walk in.

Must say, I was shocked that coming from East London was used as a justification/excuse for such over-the-top aggression.

(Me having a Cockney dad, too!)

Must say, I was shocked that coming from East London was used as a justification/excuse for such over-the-top aggression.

(Me having a Cockney dad, too!)

You don't have to be a cockney to be from the tougher parts of East London, My Dad was also a cockney btw, days gone bye you could leave your door unlocked, just as i had done, out of habit. fine, but you do NOT just walk in,

you call out lodly to announce yourself BEFORE entering just out of respect for privacy - or risk being treated as a burglar, or interrupting the next generation belng manufactured.

This cottage was not in a terraced house in an East London a community, but a single cottage in a very isolated spot. no mobiles, no land line phone and nobody for else for miles - just sheep, salmon in a stream at the back and billions of midges.

Taken by surprise, having a few seconds to react, the scullery was in total darkness, and being unlike home near impossible for it to be anyone i knew, I was not about to consult my belly button, or ponder over the human rights act, before 1st ensuring my young families safety and welfare.

Alan

Us country boys just stuff the 12 bore through the letter box when someone knocks on the door. The we go and look to see who it was.

Us country boys just stuff the 12 bore through the letter box when someone knocks on the door. The we go and look to see who it was.

Yes and end up in "jug" like Tony Martin.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/apr/20/tonymartin.ukcrime3

"Tony Martin, the Norfolk farmer who shot a teenage boy in the back as he tried to burgle his isolated farmhouse, was yesterday found guilty of murder and sent to prison for life at the end of a case that touched a raw nerve across rural Britain."

Yes and end up in "jug" like Tony Martin.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/apr/20/tonymartin.ukcrime3

"Tony Martin, the Norfolk farmer who shot a teenage boy in the back as he tried to burgle his isolated farmhouse, was yesterday found guilty of murder and sent to prison for life at the end of a case that touched a raw nerve across rural Britain."

No his problem was he was too slow and got him as he was going away