What time can i move the boat ?

Greylady2

Featured Posts

Nope, it's any time you wanna! The advisory rule about not running engines between 8 and 8 does not apply to propulsion.

Needless to say, going past a line of occupied boats at 5 in the morning might make the owners a bit brassed off, though.

You can move it anytime you like. You are not restricted to daylight hours but your insurance might specify restrictions. The 8pm - 8am restriction is running engines/gennys for the likes of power generation. IIRC, if you are pretty sure you are not within earshot of anyone who might be affected by noise then even those restrictions don't apply.

Ken

In fact cruising by moonlight on a hot summer's night is one of life's precious pleasures.

Hmm, didn't realise that you were a fan of that sort of thing. And how about boating?

Well that cleared that one up, i might go around the block now. Lol

That's good to know thanks all and Athy I see what you did their you know with the brassed off comment

:-)

One does one's best, GL.

So, when did you finally get your boat? You have been quiet for a wee while, I don't think you had got it last time I saw your posts on CWF.

• Greenie 1

One does one's best, GL.

So, when did you finally get your boat? You have been quiet for a wee while, I don't think you had got it last time I saw your posts on CWF.

6 weeks now and single handing. Lol

I love it Athy, it's just takes some adjustment when I am walking on busy roads everything seems too fast and out of control.

Edited by Greylady2

You can use your boat 24/7 if you want to. Of course with that freedom come a littl (moral) responsibility so for example, chugging slowly past a line of sleeping moored boaters is fine. Starting your badly silenced engine at 3am and "leaving it to warm up" for 30 mins before setting off would, in my book, be inconsiderate. As would hurtling past moored boats so that the occupants had dreams of "rock and roll". It's just common sense and common courtesy really.

Does any insurer actually restrict night boating for private boat owners?

Yes, GJW has a clause that you can't single-hand the boat at night - in other words, it allows singlehanding; and night cruising, but not both at once. I imagine you could ring them and remove the restriction but I don't know if it would cost money etc.

Does any insurer actually restrict night boating for private boat owners?

Yes, mine restricts single handing in the dark. My insurer is GJW.

Edit, cross posted with Paul

Edited by Rob-M

Night cruising and single handing both at once. Delightful, you should try it too!

I did a 7 am jobby on my own for two hours it was bliss not a boat in sight just herons and the odd insane jogger.

Bootifull

Edited by Greylady2

You can use your boat 24/7 if you want to. Of course with that freedom come a littl (moral) responsibility so for example, chugging slowly past a line of sleeping moored boaters is fine. Starting your badly silenced engine at 3am and "leaving it to warm up" for 30 mins before setting off would, in my book, be inconsiderate. As would hurtling past moored boats so that the occupants had dreams of "rock and roll". It's just common sense and common courtesy really.

Yes, this. When night cruising I really do pass all moored boats at tickover. 170rpm on the Kelvin means about 0.5mph. I try not to let even a badly moored boat even move.

Make a pest of yourself night cruising and pressure to withdraw the privilege will result.