Mysterious switch

Featured Posts

Hello, I am the fresh owner of a thornycroft canal boat 1983 (tamaris?)She is stationed in France. I am trying to master the in and outs of the maintenance and refurbishing a bit. On the dashboard is a metal switch I cannot fathom. The connected wires go in a big bundle and I cannot trace them. Operating the switch doesn't have any visual or audible effect, although it seems an original one.

I have a photo but don't know how to post it here.

Hilko

The boat is over 30 years old and has probably had many owners who have "improved" it over the years. There is every chance the switch is now redundant. I fear that unless someone knows the boat of old it is unlikely that we will be able to tell you anything other than if the switch is original or if its a later add on. If it is original we have no way of knowing if the "other end" of the wires have been disconnected. We will, I am sure, make many suggestions as to what it might be.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Hello, I am the fresh owner of a thornycroft canal boat 1983 (tamaris?)She is stationed in France. I am trying to master the in and outs of the maintenance and refurbishing a bit. On the dashboard is a metal switch I cannot fathom. The connected wires go in a big bundle and I cannot trace them. Operating the switch doesn't have any visual or audible effect, although it seems an original one.

I have a photo but don't know how to post it here.

Hilko

quote-arthur-dent-what-happens-if-i-pres

Interesting that the op -sort of- suggested the boat was built by Thornycroft. I know there are plenty of Thornycrofr engines and boats built by them but I've never heard of a canal boat built by them

I guess the op is talking about the engine - or did they make some canal boats.

There is an unusual Nb opposite me built by Swan Hunter :huh: so its possible

Try pouring large amounts of water into the engine bilge then operate the switch. If it's a master switch for the bilge pump then the bilge will empty. If the bilge remains flooded then it isn't!

Interesting that the op -sort of- suggested the boat was built by Thornycroft. I know there are plenty of Thornycrofr engines and boats built by them but I've never heard of a canal boat built by them

There is an unusual Nb opposite me built by Swan Hunter huh.png so its possible

I took it as meaning "Thornycroft-engined".

Yes, I think that was what was meant but I never would have thought of Swan Hunter as having made a narrow boat so you never know :)

Try pouring large amounts of water into the engine bilge then operate the switch. If it's a master switch for the bilge pump then the bilge will empty. If the bilge remains flooded then it isn't!

Or switch it on and listen in the engine hole - assuming good hearing the bilge pump would be audible usually.

OK, looked up the old posting as well. Might be something silly as the instrument light which of course I could not see at the time as it was full sunshine when I tried. (Am in France, not in the UK ?).

When I get back to the boat will try. Would expect instrument lights to switch on together with nav lights, but that's probably an automotive idea. Thanks for the nice responses. If I can be of any assistance.

post-26414-0-33293600-1462816819_thumb.jpeg

This is the boat. If thornycroft are only responsible for the drivesystem, as one f you suggested, then I don't know who built it. It said 'crown cruisers' somewhere, but I thought that would be a rental company. New in the business as you can tell. I bought it anyway and am very happy with it.

It looks like an ex thames hire boat or broads cruiser. might be built by Powles (Jack Powles of Wroxham) I think but don't quote me on that.

There will be others more knowledgeable on splitters (fibreglass boats)

It's been shockingly sunny in southern england too ;)

Now raining :lol:

Edited by magnetman

OK, looked up the old posting as well. Might be something silly as the instrument light which of course I could not see at the time as it was full sunshine when I tried. (Am in France, not in the UK ).

When I get back to the boat will try. Would expect instrument lights to switch on together with nav lights, but that's probably an automotive idea. Thanks for the nice responses. If I can be of any assistance.

these "one size fits all" type of panels tend to be supplied with engines (with no attention paid to what they are going to be fitted into) so the instrument light switch is included in the panel along with anything else directly related to the engine (ignition switch / rev counter / hour meter / oil pressure / temperature and batt voltage)

There is an unusual Nb opposite me built by Swan Hunter :huh: so its possible

Thornycroft did build GRP cruisers but I don't recognise the one in this thread as one...

OK, thanks for all replies. Put it all together and found out that my boat has a thornycroft driveline, an aquafibre hull and was built by blue crown line.

That would make sense - from memory, Crown Blue Line was one of the first UK-owned boat hire firms in France, so I guess it would be one of their former fleet. Was that the one launched (?) by Peter Zivy?

That would make sense - from memory, Crown Blue Line was one of the first UK-owned boat hire firms in France, so I guess it would be one of their former fleet. Was that the one launched (?) by Peter Zivy?

Peter Zivy's company was called "Saint-Line"

Blue Line was started by Michael Streat, at Marseille les Aubigny (as far as I remember)

Peter.