Rough idea of painting cost.

Featured Posts

I very much doubt that most yards would be able to let you live aboard during a repaint, with windows out you wouldn't want to anyway, the dust and muck produced during preparation would try the patience of most people, even with the apertures sealed up.

I can second the Trevithicks yard, a proper old fashioned place with exemplary standards, well worth patronage.

Good luck in your search .

Dave

I very much doubt that most yards would be able to let you live aboard during a repaint, with windows out you wouldn't want to anyway, the dust and muck produced during preparation would try the patience of most people, even with the apertures sealed up.

Dave

Our boat during a repaint. The stern doors were sealed as well.

Some also add on additional costs for refitting the window surrounds etc.

Right, I think the point is to watch out for the £100/ft quotes as to exactly what is included and what is additional charge so that when you compare with a quote from someone who gives an all in price of say £8000 you are making a valid comparison. For me blacking was such an obvious one, who is going to have a boat repainted and not blacked, but for some painters that is an extra to the quoted painting price, which is fine as long as you know that.

As to living on the boat, that is a no go I would have said, you are talking about 6 to 8 weeks in a shed with no windows in the boat.

• 3 years later...
On 13/05/2016 at 07:47, john6767 said:

Right, I think the point is to watch out for the £100/ft quotes as to exactly what is included and what is additional charge so that when you compare with a quote from someone who gives an all in price of say £8000 you are making a valid comparison. For me blacking was such an obvious one, who is going to have a boat repainted and not blacked, but for some painters that is an extra to the quoted painting price, which is fine as long as you know that.

As to living on the boat, that is a no go I would have said, you are talking about 6 to 8 weeks in a shed with no windows in the boat.

I’m not surprised that blacking is extra as most painters work in a wet dock, so to do blacking means taking it to a dry dock.  Also why would you pay a skilled (expensive) top sides painter to spend a week slapping blacking on.

I had a few quotes before getting ours done last year. £130 - 140 per foot is more realistic. It is normal for boats to be taken back to bare metal. If the boat has serious rust then some form of blasting seems necessary for which you can add another £1500 - £2000.