Fed up with CART boat licensing!

Roger Murray

Featured Posts

Yes, but most people I wrote cheques to had not gained possession of my Bank Card. Years ago, I can recall Banks advising you carried you bank card separately from your cheque book.

Does yours actually have a bank account number on - I know that in all the years I have had a bank card that it has been pointless looking at it to confirm my account number.

I can't think of any reason it needs to be on it.

I take it its also a cheque guarantee card. If it didn't have the account details on it how would the receiver of the cheque know it applied to that account?

The debit card has your name, six digit sort code and eight digit account number on it. Unlike a credit card.

My debit (not credit) , (and I have just checked again), most emphatically does not have an account number on it. I have just checked again.

I guess we have different banks. (Mine is a long established bank, not one that has migrated from a building society).

Every Debit card I have had has my name, account number and sort code on it. Just like a cheque has on it. Which presumably you are happy to pass on to anyone who you pay by cheque.

The debit card has your name, six digit sort code and eight digit account number on it. Unlike a credit card.

Mine doesn't, and never has.

I take it its also a cheque guarantee card. If it didn't have the account details on it how would the receiver of the cheque know it applied to that account?

No, because that facility has not existed for about 5 years!

The facility to guarantee a cheque using a bank card was withdrawn on 30 June 2011.

From this page.

Even so, my cards never had an account number on when they did. If they had have done, it would surely not have been necessary to write the card number on the back of the cheque, because a simple check that account and sort codes matched would have sufficed.

I don't have any pre 2011 bank cards, (surprisingly!), but I'm sure mine never had an account code on. You always had to annotate the cheque with the card details, and possession of the card by the cheque writer was what guaranteed that the payee was entitled to their funds.

Obviously different banks must have different practices, so this is probably not a sideline worth carrying on with!

Mine doesn't, and never has.

It's not just me then!

Edited by alan_fincher

Going off topic.

If you pay annually, you can attar a 10% prompt payment discount. Correct me if I am wrong, but if you pay monthly, even by DD, I don't think you get that 10%.

I realise not everybody has enough cash in hand to pay their licence up front for a year, but if you can, the discount is a better "cash investment" than you are likely to find elsewhere.

If someone has the cost of a licence in savings that they can afford not to keep in savings, it is almost certainly worth cashing in enough savings to pay the licence annually at only 90% of what you would be charged if you pay monthly.

Someone will now no doubt point out a flaw in the way I have always approached this!

I was paying annually. When I said they took the money on the ist of the month, I meant that my licence ran out at the end of May and they took the money on the 1st of June (and quite often, a few days later) for the year.

So as long as I knew the money ws in the bank it didn't matter where I was when the renewal came and I didn't have to pay out any earlier than necessary so had the 10% discount.

...and for some reason there doesn't seem to be a sort code on my RBS/Visa debit card. They say on bottom left corner, not on mine! Not using it as an excuse, but at 86 on line stuff does get a bit confusing, especially when it keeps on rejecting the facts you key in.

Roger

No they dont, they say

We already put the sort code on all of our Debit Cards, starting 1 or 8 - it's the six-digit number at the bottom on the right-hand side of the card

https://www.rbs-communities.co.uk/t5/Ideas-Bank/Sort-code-on-debit-cards/idi-p/1481

However, the cards that I could find pictures of I couldnt see a sort code!

Edited by Ssscrudddy

Going back to the OP we've never been able to renew online. This has happened year after year, I've involved their IT team, and they've basically told me there's nothing wrong on their side, so it must be me. I've put our reference numbers in to start the process and it tells me they're invalid. I get Dave to sit next to me and check I'm not going loopy. Still "computer says no". Not a clue why - they were ever so helpful this year when I decided to take it further but by the time we hit the brick wall of the IT staff saying it must be us we'd already renewed our licence by phone and to be frank life is too short.

Saying that when we have phoned they've been quick and efficient.

There are now no such things as cheque guarantee cards; they were scrapped about 5 years ago.

CREDIT cards do not generally have the account and sort code, only DEBIT cards (generally).

Certainly on my Co-op, Nationwide and Yorkshire BS ones.

Edited by Graham Davis

hey guys, sorry to hijack a little but i have just read this thread and i am wondering how far in advance do i need to pay the boat license to get the 10% discount.
I have tried looking at the Crt website but the FAQ is vague and so i thought id create an account but it wont let me log in so im kinda stuck and its weighing on my mind.

any help is greatly appreciated.

hey guys, sorry to hijack a little but i have just read this thread and i am wondering how far in advance do i need to pay the boat license to get the 10% discount.

I have tried looking at the Crt website but the FAQ is vague and so i thought id create an account but it wont let me log in so im kinda stuck and its weighing on my mind.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Before the licence starts, which is always the first of the month.

The last day of the previous month is OK, as long as nothing goes wrong!

This surprises me.

In my head that compromises your security unnecessarily if it gets into the wrong hands.

I don't think I have ever held a bank card that actually has my account number on it.

I'll admit I'm surprised even the sort code is on there - why does it need to be?

I have no idea why it's on my Nationwide BS debit card but it most definitely is, but I don't see how it compromises anything any more than a cheque used to which had the self same info, on it. I find it useful more than anything as it saves having to dig the information out from elsewhere when it's needed.

*Such as when setting up a DD) on line.

Before the licence starts, which is always the first of the month.

The last day of the previous month is OK, as long as nothing goes wrong!

On that issue of payment timing...

I believe if you pay by annual DD the payment goes out on the first of the month of the licence period but you still qualify for the EPD. (Happy to be corrected.)

Edited by MJG

It took me about 3 goes to get my DD set up for my license. I kept giving them my details, then would get a letter to say the payment hadn't gone through because they were wrong (when they were definitely right), and find out they somehow had something totally different. By the third call, the lady was like 'oh, it's you again'. rolleyes.gif

To be fair though, they were very friendly and helpful on the phone, unlike the letters which like to remind you constantly that you might be reported to the enforcement team if you don't pay (well, I was trying to...).

I guess I am not really as organised and as efficient as some of you. I never really know when the insurance, safety certificate or licence runs out. Find same with the car and its things. Although some of you got through on the phone quickly, for some reason I didn't....and for some reason there doesn't seem to be a sort code on my RBS/Visa debit card. They say on bottom left corner, not on mine! Not using it as an excuse, but at 86 on line stuff does get a bit confusing, especially when it keeps on rejecting the facts you key in.

Roger

calendar.jpg

ninja.gif

Since when?

I have set up numerous direct debits on line without signing any paperwork what so ever.

Looks like the rules have changed. (Don't know when), they now have to inform you with 3 days or within 10days of taking payment and its up to them to confirm you are how you say you are, which may be why some companies require a debt/credit card payment first even if they refund this straight away. Direct Debt is not instant payment and takes a few days to clear, so trying to set up on the last working day before payment is due is prop not best.

I guess I am not really as organised and as efficient as some of you. I never really know when the insurance, safety certificate or licence runs out. Find same with the car and its things. Although some of you got through on the phone quickly, for some reason I didn't....and for some reason there doesn't seem to be a sort code on my RBS/Visa debit card. They say on bottom left corner, not on mine! Not using it as an excuse, but at 86 on line stuff does get a bit confusing, especially when it keeps on rejecting the facts you key in.

Roger

You would have thought at 86 you would have learnt by now not to leave it until the last moment it was due. When I had to pay for my mooring I got through quickly, but it wasn't on the last working day when everyone else was trying too! Edited by Robbo

Slaps moderator's tin helmet on ...

Please don't post your full email addresses on open forum. Before you know where you are, you'll be the only verifiable legitimate valued inheritee of a vast cash shipment of cash and cash gold waiting for you in a sealed vault at Heathrow which you can only redeem by paying Mr Sue Grabbitenrunne £6,578 of your hard-earned. Fifty gazillion times over.

As you were ...

smiley_offtopic.gif

On another forum I use they use something called CloudFlare to automatically strip out email addresses and replace it with 'Email protected' to save this from happening.

As far as I can see it uses the same iPboard software as here but not sure about the version. I also don't know if a cost is involved.

Going back to the OP we've never been able to renew online. This has happened year after year, I've involved their IT team, and they've basically told me there's nothing wrong on their side, so it must be me. I've put our reference numbers in to start the process and it tells me they're invalid. I get Dave to sit next to me and check I'm not going loopy. Still "computer says no". Not a clue why - they were ever so helpful this year when I decided to take it further but by the time we hit the brick wall of the IT staff saying it must be us we'd already renewed our licence by phone and to be frank life is too short.

Saying that when we have phoned they've been quick and efficient.

Yes, but the mechanisms for renewing on-line are now totally different from what they have been for many years.

So any historic experience of the old simplistic system (which always worked for me every time) is not relevant to the new system with far more function, (and which I did have teething problems with the first time I used it, but was fine for a subsequent renewal on the other boat).

Those who don't think anybody can ever misuse just your Sort Code, Account No & Account Name are in the same category as Jeremy Clarkson was when he decided to make his public.

As a reminder that stunt backfired on him.

BBC News Linky.

Incidentally, a bit of Googling seems to reveal that it is mainly NatWest and RBS that do not include account numbers on debit cards. It seems most other banks probably do.

Those who don't think anybody can ever misuse just your Sort Code, Account No & Account Name are in the same category as Jeremy Clarkson was when he decided to make his public.

BBC News Linky.

Incidentally, a bit of Googling seems to reveal that it is mainly NatWest and RBS that do not include account numbers on debit cards. It seems most other banks probably do.

Not sure why they wouldn't put the sort/account code on the card, as it's a handy place to have it! Even thou the codes can be used for misuse it's no more or no less than the other details on the card.

BBC News Linky.

I think people are well aware of that one but as they say a 'fool and his money....'

He put it into the very wide public domain and from my sketchy memory of what came to light afterwards (I haven't read the link so it may be covered) there was something particular about the DD that was set up and it being a charity and the level of authorisation required to set a DD up in their favour. Certain organisations can do it the way it was done with his account apparently but companies and private individuals cannot. (ISTR)

Edited by MJG

With some of the comments re my licensing problem, for which I came for help on this forum, than the lofty comments of some, and I mean only some, who seem to have very neat and tidy minds and do everything perfectly to the book....We are not all the same! If we were the world would be a dull place. I think it was Oscar Wilde who said beware of the man with a neat and tidy desk!

My debit card is RBS and has no sort code is on it. Fact! There was, as far as I could make out, no facility for getting round this on the CART on line licensing facility. No sort code. No licence! As simple as that!

I would suspect that its not only me on this forum who is never over sure when the licence runs out, hence running over time. In my case I had to have emergency open heart surgery when out of the country delivering a large sailing vessel, being to an extent incapacitated, not thinking about things like licenses and paperwork etc.

Roger

Edited by wrigglefingers
Email address removed

With some of the comments re my licensing problem, for which I came for help on this forum, than the lofty comments of some, and I mean only some, who seem to have very neat and tidy minds and do everything perfectly to the book....We are not all the same! If we were the world would be a dull place. I think it was Oscar Wilde who said beware of the man with a neat and tidy desk!

My debit card is RBS and has no sort code is on it. Fact! There was, as far as I could make out, no facility for getting round this on the CART on line licensing facility. No sort code. No licence! As simple as that!

I would suspect that its not only me on this forum who is never over sure when the licence runs out, hence running over time. In my case I had to have emergency open heart surgery when out of the country delivering a large sailing vessel, being to an extent incapacitated, not thinking about things like licenses and paperwork etc.

Roger

If paying by debt card it doesn't ask for your sort code, it only asks for your sort code if paying by direct debt. Is the issue that you choose the wrong option thinking it was the other? Edited by wrigglefingers
Email address removed

If paying by debt card it doesn't ask for your sort code, it only asks for your sort code if paying by direct debt. Is the issue that you choose the wrong option thinking it was the other?

This is probably the problem. I've never been asked for my sort code when paying by debit card, not even when paying for my licence.