'They're cheating the rest of us' : Reaction as man fined for illegal fishing near Tewkesbury

StephenA

Featured Posts

Anglers are being reminded of the importance of getting rod licences after a man was ordered to pay £900 for illegal fishing in a beauty spot near Tewkesbury.

Fisherman Ladislav Kobak, was fined after Environment Agency bailiffs found him breaking the rules at Stanchards Pit, off the River Avon in Tewkesbury in September last year

Presumably they were out to 'get' this chap for something or other, and no rod licence was the best they could nail him for...

Why else would this one in particular make the news if there are 'thousands' of similar prosecutions each year as the article claims?

I think your right Mike...last year I was fishing on my regular lake when environment bailiff approached me for my license which to my honest amazement had in fact run out.the guy was fantastic he allowed me to continue fishing and simply asked me to apply for new license on line when I got home. I have heard the fines can be crazy high at times.

Presumably they were out to 'get' this chap for something or other, and no rod licence was the best they could nail him for...

Why else would this one in particular make the news if there are 'thousands' of similar prosecutions each year as the article claims?

I wonder if it was the purpose for which he was fishing. A couple of times I have observed groups angling in Birmingham and the Black Country without much in the way of proper kit and wondered if the the catch was intended for food. Maybe this bloke was trying to catch fish to be sold? You would get a more desirable fish in Tewkesbury than in Smethwick where the report says he lives.

JP

I wonder if it was the purpose for which he was fishing. A couple of times I have observed groups angling in Birmingham and the Black Country without much in the way of proper kit and wondered if the the catch was intended for food. Maybe this bloke was trying to catch fish to be sold? You would get a more desirable fish in Tewkesbury than in Smethwick where the report says he lives.

JP

Well yes. I too have seen a group of lads lugging dustbins full of water back to their van from the canal. Presumably containing fish, and not a fishing rod in sight.

But if this chap was done for fishing in the same manner without a rod licence, one wonders if a rod licence is still required if fishing with dynamite, big nets or whatever.

A course fishing licence permits the use of two rods.

I've read both side of mine, but no mention of dynamite.

Rog

Wrong licence, obviously then...

More pertinently though, does it say rods are the only method by which them fishes may be hunted and trapped?

Well yes. I too have seen a group of lads lugging dustbins full of water back to their van from the canal. Presumably containing fish, and not a fishing rod in sight.

But if this chap was done for fishing in the same manner without a rod licence, one wonders if a rod licence is still required if fishing with dynamite, big nets or whatever.

The groups I have seen have had a few rods set up in the water but are just standing around chatting and no evidence of any other kit suggesting they are regular 'sporting' anglers.

JP

JP

Everything in Tewkesbury is more desirable than it is in Smethwick...

smile.png

We are moored at the top of Oldbury locks. The boat behind has just spent 14 days moored by the Pumphouse at Smethwick, on the New Main Line. They didn't have any trouble but she didn't like bring on her own when he went off to work.

Poor Smethwick is one of those places that have lost their Tescos.

Edited by pearley

We are moored at the top of Oldbury locks. The boat behind has just spent 14 days moored by the Pumphouse at Smethwick, on the New Main Line. They didn't have any trouble but she didn't like bring on her own when he went off to work.

Poor Smethwick is one of those places that have lost their Tescos.

As well as a replica toll house.

That's certainly not true for the curries and some of those Bollywood actresses are, well.......!

The guys at my local curry house live in Smethwick and commute down every day!

I'm not sure that any Bollywood actresses live in Smethwick...

(nice try, though!)

The guys at my local curry house live in Smethwick and commute down every day!

I'm not sure that any Bollywood actresses live in Smethwick...

(nice try, though!)

We were chatting to the waiter in an Indian restaurant in Upton, and he said there there were 4 of them that travelled every day to work there from Birmingham.

As well as a replica toll house.

Which the good people of Smethwick choose to burn down.

JP

You mean a rod and a 5p carrier bag?

We were chatting to the waiter in an Indian restaurant in Upton, and he said there there were 4 of them that travelled every day to work there from Birmingham.

Which the good people of Smethwick choose to burn down.

If it's the one that I'm thinking of, the chef there is the brother of the chef at the "Rajshahi" - my favourite curry house in Tewkesbury.

They have exactly the same menu - even dishes that the owner of the "Rajshahi" has invented!

If it's the one that I'm thinking of, the chef there is the brother of the chef at the "Rajshahi" - my favourite curry house in Tewkesbury.

They have exactly the same menu - even dishes that the owner of the "Rajshahi" has invented!

Somewhere on the main street, that is all I remember.

Just back to the fishing or Rod Licence there is some info here on prosecutions, one £800+

"In May, three people were prosecuted for illegal fishing in the North East. The average fine for those prosecuted was £229. Nationally, there were 128 prosecutions in May. One angler’s failure to obtain a valid licence landed him with a fine of £827, when a year-long licence would have cost him just £27."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/enforcement-patrols-catch-illegal-anglers-in-the-north-east