Cleaning a pram cover

tonyt40

Featured Posts

Hi

The boat I am getting at the weekend has a pram cover fitted- I know, purists through your insults now....................

Anyway it has one and it needs a good clean. I checked out the reviews for the Fenwick product but the reviews are poor. What is the best product for getting off algae and bird crap?

Thanks

Tony

Hi

The boat I am getting at the weekend has a pram cover fitted- I know, purists through your insults now....................

Anyway it has one and it needs a good clean. I checked out the reviews for the Fenwick product but the reviews are poor. What is the best product for getting off algae and bird crap?

Thanks

Tony

Fenwicks reviews poor??? Really???

I love the stuff.

Tony

I used my Karcher on ours last year, (5 years old) and it came up superbly ... It is still looking good a year on....

In fact I used it to do the whole boat - blew a bit of paint off in places, but I reckon not too bad and the whole boat looked much better for it - Thinking about a (partial?) re-paint either this year or next

Nick

I soaked our (fabric) cratch cover in a bath of biological washing liquid last weekend, then scrubbed. A lot. Almost all the green has gone. It was much less work than the previous attempt to wash it in situ with boat cleaning products.

I used my Karcher on ours last year, (5 years old) and it came up superbly ... It is still looking good a year on....

In fact I used it to do the whole boat - blew a bit of paint off in places, but I reckon not too bad and the whole boat looked much better for it - Thinking about a (partial?) re-paint either this year or next

Nick

Every year I write this post about this subject. I used to valet boats, often pre-sale and the company I worked for forbid the use of pressure washers because of the potential for damage. Our chosen method for cleaning canopies of any description was to use the commercial equivalent of Starbrite Boat wash in a bottle. The canopy would be damped down with water and then the correct dilution of wash and water would be sprayed on from a small garden spray bottle and allowed to soak for a few minutes. the canopy would then be scrub with a stiff long handled brush and then sprayed of with a hose. All the dirt and green will just wash off, if really bad it may need a second application. All this done in situ, no need to take off and lay on the ground, the whole process can be done in about 20 mins.

Phil

• Greenie 1

I'm with Phil on this.

I powerewashed our cratch last summer and it removed the algae, it also removed two-thirds of the stitching. The cratch has survived the winter due to excellent original seam glues, but the stitching is gonzo and I will have to get it professionally over-stitched

Be warned.

Peter

• Greenie 1

Every year I write this post about this subject. I used to valet boats, often pre-sale and the company I worked for forbid the use of pressure washers because of the potential for damage. Our chosen method for cleaning canopies of any description was to use the commercial equivalent of Starbrite Boat wash in a bottle. The canopy would be damped down with water and then the correct dilution of wash and water would be sprayed on from a small garden spray bottle and allowed to soak for a few minutes. the canopy would then be scrub with a stiff long handled brush and then sprayed of with a hose. All the dirt and green will just wash off, if really bad it may need a second application. All this done in situ, no need to take off and lay on the ground, the whole process can be done in about 20 mins.

Phil

any tips on cleaning a roof that has had an sand antislip coating applied under the paint?

Yes, buy some Starbrite Foaming Deck Cleaner. Simply follow the instructions on the bottle, it really works like magic. We used it on our side decks which were non-slip and not only has our muddy feet to cope with every day but also 4 dogs. (Oh it's available on eBY or yottie type chandlers)

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, buy some Starbrite Foaming Deck Cleaner. Simply follow the instructions on the bottle, it really works like magic. We used it on our side decks which were non-slip and not only has our muddy feet to cope with every day but also 4 dogs. (Oh it's available on eBY or yottie type chandlers)

Phil

+ 1. Brilliant stuff, and so easy to use.

Ken

I've got a lot of vinyl "cloths" on our two boats and I spruced them up last week end. All I do is wet the cloths, splosh a bit a washing up liquid on them and then with a broom clean off the algae. A quick sluice with a hose and they are as good as new. Very quick and easy. Never use a power washer for reasons mentioned above.