Regent's canal to Limehouse and Thames

chazzy

Featured Posts

My plan for this year is April to head down to the Regent's canal on to Limehouse then onto the Thames to Oxford. Any info on overnight stops on the Regent's canal, also info on the tideway from Limehouse to Teddington. I have boating experience but is there someone out there with the tidal Thames experience that would like to join myself and Rene from Limehouse to Teddington, date wise would be the end of April.

Thanks in advance for any info

My plan for this year is April to head down to the Regent's canal on to Limehouse then onto the Thames to Oxford. Any info on overnight stops on the Regent's canal, also info on the tideway from Limehouse to Teddington. I have boating experience but is there someone out there with the tidal Thames experience that would like to join myself and Rene from Limehouse to Teddington, date wise would be the end of April.

Overnight mooring on the Regent's Canal is very problematic , I personally would plan your trip to overnight at Little Venice/Paddington Basin and in Limehouse Basin. There are bookable moorings at Little Venice.

There is a bookable (At a charge) overnight mooring at the London Canal Museum at Kings Cross but it has restrictions, See http://www.canalmuseum.org.uk/visit/comebyboat.htm

Assume that their are no moorings on the Tidal Thames.

If you are going out onto the tideway and your boat is over 47' long you will need a VHF radio with someone licensed to use it.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Tim Lewis, on 13 Mar 2016 - 2:52 PM, said:

Overnight mooring on the Regent's Canal is very problematic , I personally would plan your trip to overnight at Little Venice/Paddington Basin and in Limehouse Basin. There are bookable moorings at Little Venice.

There is a bookable (At a charge) overnight mooring at the London Canal Museum at Kings Cross but it has restrictions, See http://www.canalmuseum.org.uk/visit/comebyboat.htm

Assume that their are no moorings on the Tidal Thames.

If you are going out onto the tideway and your boat is over 47' long you will need a VHF radio with someone licensed to use it.

Tim

Pedant mode -

There are effectively no moorings on the tidal bit - an outside chance of booking a mooring in advance at Chiswick.

Just seen your last post - You can go in convoy with someone else who has VHF.

Strictly speaking you only need to keep a listening watch on VHF and are permitted to use a transceiver in an emergency - but you'd still need a set.

The listening watch is primarily for the hourly bulletins issued by the PLA.

Sensible to follow the rules though....

You can go the other way - Brentford to Teddington, where no VHF is required (just as well as handhelds don't work there on NBs (IME).

Apart from missing the Joy of the Tideway trip you'll get to Oxenford that much quicker.

Remember you'll need a temporary 'licence' on the non-tidal bit and ' my friends' at Teddington lock are very good at removing money from you!

Sorry to answer unasked questions - but peeps are no often aware.

The River's still on Red Boards throughout Looky here:-

http://riverconditions.environment-agency.gov.uk/

A dry spell is predicted, but even so an underpowered NB can have a slow and tedious journey upstream when even on Yellow boards (next level down)

One thing that often gets overlooked is that any Narrowboat that has an air-cooled engine such as a Lister is very vulnerable on the tidal Thames because of the positioning of the engine air vent in the hull. The wash from some of the boats is very considerable.

Don't know what the tide times are like when you are hope to leave Limehouse, we find there is a lot less wash ( kicked up by the trip boats ) if you leave earlier rather than later I.e an early morning tide . Bunny

Ar right thanks for the info.... stuck already, 57 foot boat and I don't have a licence for VHF radio.

It depends on exactly when you are going to be down there, I will happily join you and bring me VHF if not working.

At that time of year, and early Limehouse exit is well worth it to miss the big traffic.

As others, head for Paddington for an overnight, then Limehouse.

• 2 weeks later...

Big thanks everyone, and thanks Scholar Gypsy I expect to be leaving the previous weekend to the one you mentioned. 2 more questions do I need to pre book mooring at Limehouse and book passage through the lock onto the Thames?

Big thanks everyone, and thanks Scholar Gypsy I expect to be leaving the previous weekend to the one you mentioned. 2 more questions do I need to pre book mooring at Limehouse and book passage through the lock onto the Thames?

No you don't but it is always worth ringing to check, we arrived a couple of years ago to find that the lock was broken and we couldn't go out.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us/our-regions/london-waterways/locks-to-the-river-thames

Tim

Thank you Tim for the link smile.png I'm trying to get as much info as possible before we set off from Leicester in a couple of weeks time.

Good luck with the trip!

I would commend the link provided above by Leo2 (and Kathryn also co-wrote the website), in particular I would say:

• print the ex-BW guide, in particular the pages that show the bridge profiles (1.12 to 1.21)
  • annotate the bridges with arch numbers ...
  • .. and to show the impact of any current PLA Notices to Mariners - check them a day or two beforehand (Middle and Upper rivers) as there are quite a few works going on at present.

The only bit I would take slight issue with is on page 1.19 of the ex-BW guide - the arrow marking the channel for Hammersmith Bridge. You need to go pretty much under the B of Bridge, and then make sure you leave the green cone buoy (it used to be yellow) to Starboard. If you stray too far to the right/north the tidal set may take you onto Dove pier.

Hi Chazzy, just sticking my twopenneth in here. I and a buddy are ob our way down to Limehouse within the next fortnight. We have been debating to try the Limehouse and up route, but are a bit anxious too. I'll follow this thread and hope to decide very soon. Either way, I will be heading up to Oxford over the next 6 weeks or so. I'll keep an eye out for ya.

Hi Chazzy, just sticking my twopenneth in here. I and a buddy are ob our way down to Limehouse within the next fortnight. We have been debating to try the Limehouse and up route, but are a bit anxious too. I'll follow this thread and hope to decide very soon. Either way, I will be heading up to Oxford over the next 6 weeks or so. I'll keep an eye out for ya.

If you are interested in a crew (with radio etc), send me a PM and I will see if I can help.

Good luck with the trip!

I would commend the link provided above by Leo2 (and Kathryn also co-wrote the website), in particular I would say:

• print the ex-BW guide, in particular the pages that show the bridge profiles (1.12 to 1.21)
  • annotate the bridges with arch numbers ...
  • .. and to show the impact of any current PLA Notices to Mariners - check them a day or two beforehand (Middle and Upper rivers) as there are quite a few works going on at present.

The only bit I would take slight issue with is on page 1.19 of the ex-BW guide - the arrow marking the channel for Hammersmith Bridge. You need to go pretty much under the B of Bridge, and then make sure you leave the green cone buoy (it used to be yellow) to Starboard. If you stray too far to the right/north the tidal set may take you onto Dove pier.

That guide is a must. I printed it out and laminated it so it's weather-proof, and have it in a lever arch file so it's easy to flip through.

The last time we did the tidal stretch, there was a chap moored at Limehouse who wanted to do it but didn't have the necessary VHF -- so he came with us as a convoy. The most noticeable thing was that at times he seemed to drop a long way behind us, and then at other times appear to catch up again. When we were both in Teddington Lock we were talking about this, and discovered that neither of us had touched our Morse controls the entire time. Which just goes to show that the twists and turns of the river mean the speed of the water is very different in different places -- although you never normally notice if you're on your own.

That guide is a must. I printed it out and laminated it so it's weather-proof, and have it in a lever arch file so it's easy to flip through.

The last time we did the tidal stretch, there was a chap moored at Limehouse who wanted to do it but didn't have the necessary VHF -- so he came with us as a convoy. The most noticeable thing was that at times he seemed to drop a long way behind us, and then at other times appear to catch up again. When we were both in Teddington Lock we were talking about this, and discovered that neither of us had touched our Morse controls the entire time. Which just goes to show that the twists and turns of the river mean the speed of the water is very different in different places -- although you never normally notice if you're on your own.

I agree - moving a foot or two sideways can make a big difference.

You should try doing it five abreast. Going round the bend is much harder than it looks ....

post-13477-0-84721600-1458834978_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

If you are interested in a crew (with radio etc), send me a PM and I will see if I can help.

Simon kindly joined my boat when we had a trip on the Thames. Simon is very professional and he made us all feel very safe. I would never have ventured out onto the Thames without an experience crew member and Simon has much more than most.

Thanks everyone, I have crew arranged for 2nd or 3rd May early start onto the tideway. Photos to follow in May...

I'll look out for you Terryb I shall be heading back to Leicester from Oxford.

Thanks everyone, I have crew arranged for 2nd or 3rd May early start onto the tideway. Photos to follow in May...

I'll look out for you Terryb I shall be heading back to Leicester from Oxford.

Be aware that this is the Weekend of Canalway Cavalcade at Little Venice when nearly all the Visitor moorings there will be reserved for boats attending. So don't plan on getting a mooring there!

Tim

Simon kindly joined my boat when we had a trip on the Thames. Simon is very professional and he made us all feel very safe. I would never have ventured out onto the Thames without an experience crew member and Simon has much more than most.

You are too kind! sleep.png (that's supposed to be a blush).

You might be interested to know I am involved in planning a narrowboat convoy down to the Medway next month.

Here's a note I have produced about the latest hazard that we need to manage on that trip, which I hope is self-explanatory. I hope it makes other convoy members feel safe.