Towpath improvements

Hawkmoth

Featured Posts

Boaters become towpath walkers if they moor up and walk the dog, or walk to the shops, or something. The "loss" of the grass to bang mooring pins in is countered by the gains in (for example in the pic in the OP) having an all-weather, all-season surface to walk on. Its convenient pigeonholing people into "walkers", "fishermen", "cyclists", "boaters" etc but its not as simple as that, people who use boats also walk, cycle, fish etc. And if we are considering the benefit to walkers vs the loss to boaters, there's a massively greater number of the former (and the boater can choose where to moor too - thus countering their perceived loss).

Let them put their walking boots on, the canal is not a municipal park.

I'd always choose an all-weather prepared surface to walk the dog on, than a muddy towpath, in the winter time. I can wear wellies but the dog can't, and its not just the bottom half of the legs which would get wet - stomach, chest, armpits, harness, ears, etc etc.

Let them put their walking boots on, the canal is not a municipal park.

Well obviously it IS, these days.

Walkers want tarmac, you want mooring rings. Same thing really. A few minor obstacles to boating improves the experience in my opinion. Same as a bit of mud improves the 'rambling' experience.

• Greenie 1

I'd always choose an all-weather prepared surface to walk the dog on, than a muddy towpath, in the winter time. I can wear wellies but the dog can't, and its not just the bottom half of the legs which would get wet - stomach, chest, armpits, harness, ears, etc etc.

I used to have a Golden Retriever. He was happiest when he was up to his ears in the blackest boggiest goo he could find.

Well obviously it IS, these days.

Walkers want tarmac, you want mooring rings. Same thing really. A few minor obstacles to boating improves the experience in my opinion. Same as a bit of mud improves the 'rambling' experience.

Can you give up.

That's three greenies on different threads.

It's begining to look like stalking :)

Rog

Just how many places have tow-paths been hard surfaced in recent times such that boats can't still moor there in one way or another, (either using stakes/piling hooks/chains, or to installed bollards or rings).

I get about a fair bit, and am struggling to think of many places where moorings have been lost because a tow-path has been given a tarmac or other hard surface.

Most such schemes surely do not put a length of tow-path out of use for mooring?

No end of mooring rings on the SUC and Llangollen. When we were there over the last couple of months we rarely found a boat using them.

We use them if they are there and available. That is one of them usually as rings always seem spaced so you can only use one when you have a 50ft boat. if you tie up at the fore end with a ring the one nearest the counter will be too far away. Those swines at the SUCS are lengthist I tell you!

Just because tow paths were an integral part of the system we should now realise with our diesel engines we don't need them for towing us. The majority of users are undoubtedly walkers,cyclists and fishermen. They out number us on a daily basis. Therefore it makes sense to improve the tow paths for these users rather than us occasional users. If the local councils are funding the improvements then I assume they own the land(?) then it makes sense to make the improvements for their own residents rather than us occasional visitors who I guess don't contribute too much to the local economy.

As for the lack of mooring rings/bollards etc I wonder if this is a planned omission to ensure they don't start getting the same problems as other places have with certain elements of permanent moorers.

Not so. Most of the money that Birmingham council is spending on cycle paths has come directly of the DFT as part of of their Cycle City Ambition Grants.

http://road.cc/content/news/90116-prime-minister-announces-%C2%A377-million-funding-cycling-projects-england

and today's stoppage notices tell us that it has been cut.

We use them if they are there and available. That is one of them usually as rings always seem spaced so you can only use one when you have a 50ft boat. if you tie up at the fore end with a ring the one nearest the counter will be too far away. Those swines at the SUCS are lengthist I tell you!

And if you have a 60 foot boat you end up with two breast lines which is no good at all.

Not so. Most of the money that Birmingham council is spending on cycle paths has come directly of the DFT as part of of their Cycle City Ambition Grants.

http://road.cc/content/news/90116-prime-minister-announces-%C2%A377-million-funding-cycling-projects-england

I think this is the main point. Councils promote and develop the schemes but most funding comes from central government. If the results are removing valuable mooring locations, maybe the CRT should be lobbying the DfT to make sure any scheme they fund for towpath surfacing by 3rd parties takes into account existing mooring locations.