Cutting 70mm cable......bolt croppers vs junior hacksaw?

jenevers

Featured Posts

I used a cutter similar to this on 90mm2 cable. No problem and a cheap solution Probably will not last forever if used frequently but perfectly OK for occasional use.

Search EBAY for item 391378017919

(just upgraded to Windows 10 and now cannot cut and paste!)

$_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391378017919

Richard

I used a Hep2o plastic pipe cutter for all my 95mm cables cut easily and clean, would say any garden secateurs would also work well

I have often thought I bet they are good for cutting all sorts of other things, seriously sharpe and a good action. How does the blade hold up to cutting copper?

- Mine at the JG speedfit ones, well technically the identical looking non-branded version that's clearly made in the same tooling! Cheap on screwfix.

Daniel

I have often thought I bet they are good for cutting all sorts of other things, seriously sharpe and a good action. How does the blade hold up to cutting copper?

It would be like trying to cut straight through copper tube with a Stanley knife

Richard

It would be like trying to cut straight through copper tube with a Stanley knife

Richard

I really struggle with cable cutting, if its a short run I find a junior hacksaw just pulls many of the strands right out. My technique is to "saw" through the cable with a Stanley knife. It does a very neat job but its very very tedious.

................Dave

- Mine at the JG speedfit ones, well technically the identical looking non-branded version that's clearly made in the same tooling! Cheap on screwfix.

Daniel

Mine are yellow so not genuine Hep2o but stll fine and eight years old, used last week to fit new calorifier and just before to cut some 50mm cable for battery connections on my camper

They cut through cable like a hot knife through butter

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

That's neat but takes ages!

A friend of mine showed me how he does his without a crimper. He simply hits the lug, where the cable goes in, with a nail punch, maybe twice. You can swing on the result. Then he blow-lamps it and runs some solder in.

A friend of mine showed me how he does his without a crimper. He simply hits the lug, where the cable goes in, with a nail punch, maybe twice. You can swing on the result. Then he blow-lamps it and runs some solder in.

Thereby instantly negating both of the advantages of a crimp :(

Tony

• Greenie 1

Thereby instantly negating both of the advantages of a crimp sad.png

Tony

AND risking re-igniting the debate/war on here about soldering Vs. crimping, which died down years ago after some very bad tempered posts IIRC...

There's nothing to debate. Crimping is superior in every way, but only if done correctly with quality crimps and a proper crimper (not one of those pressed tin ones). And definitely not with a nail punch, bolt head, piece of angle iron or any of the other bizarre 'solutions' I've read about over the years.

Tony

Which recommends cutting off stray strands if they get bent? Might as well use thinner cable then.

All that banging the crimp on a further 3mm is completely pointless.

Tony

There's nothing to debate.

Oh yes there is!

As you already outline, the potential for doing the crimp wrongly is a major flaw in the system, in my opinion.

Getting people to understand the importance of crimping correctly is like pushing water up hill, as illustrated by your long list of all the flawed methods widely employed...

Oh yes there is!

As you already outline, the potential for doing the crimp wrongly is a major flaw in the system, in my opinion.

Getting people to understand the importance of crimping correctly is like pushing water up hill, as illustrated by your long list of all the flawed methods widely employed...

Wasn't going to comment, but can't resist....

Crimping is the best solution (when done properly.) It is cleaner, safer and more reliable.

BUT soldering lugs gets bad press because it is often done incorrectly. We soldered lugs on all kinds of things before crimping became popular, often in far worse conditions than any narrowboat will ever see.

For fun (I already have HD crimpers) I made a crimper from a nut splitter. Cost me a fiver and works well. http://destinynarrowboat.weebly.com/misc.html

The only thing about connections is that they all need to be done correctly whatever the system........must learn to type faster

Surely soldering is better than crimping ?

Darren

No, but soldering correctly is better than crimping badly

But soldering is 100% contact whereas crimping isn't ??

Darren

That isn't the issue. It's what happens to the strands as they come out of the joint, and residual flux in the cable

Richard

But soldering is 100% contact whereas crimping isn't

Not true. Not if the crimp is correctly made. Plus soldering has the problems that Richard mentioned.

Tony

... And John mentioned :)