Where's Gibbo? Split From: Robust debate Technical discussions.

Murflynn

Featured Posts

It's an interesting read in that it shows that an IT may potentially be more effective than a GI but for the opposite reasons than Gibbo suggests.

I did read it all, at the time, and have no stomach for doing so again!

Whilst I don't claim to know enough about it all to be able to say Gibbo was right or wrong, I do trust my IT to do its job more than I would trust a GI. And if the prices were reversed, I don't think anyone would buy a GI.

I believe the needs of the average narrowboater are best served by using a decent GI with LED status monitor.

I'm not saying there aren't crappy, broken or badly wired GIs.

Or that there are a few boundary cases where an IT may be better overall, but, I expect not enough of these to warrant always recommending an IT to the average narrowboater.

All in my opinion though, I'm sure others see it differently. If anyone prefer using an IT, that's fine by me. smile.png

Edited by smileypete

Anyone disagreeing with Gibbo has the luxury of not being challenged by him. A win win.

Yeah but it's good to back up theories and ideas with real world tests and experience, is it not?

Once thing, I'm sure Gibbo would have made a great cult leader. biggrin.png

Edited by smileypete

What is thread about, or have I missed something obvious?

Gibbo was a prominent forum member with an extensive knowledge of batteries, their charging and discharging, He also created the Smartgauge

He was also quite a character in his own right

He hasn't been a member here since 2012

Richard

Edited by RLWP

And let's be clear, I came onto this forum with quite a bit of electrical & electronic knowledge in general but petty much zilch in the context of boats. Which was soon made clear to me!

Having participated, argued, won some and lost some, hopefully I am now in a better position to give sound advice in the context of boats. Such is the way of things, you don't know it all but by accumulating knowledge and experience, you do better, and this forum is pretty good for that.

Nick,

Please don't post any off-colour jokes, ok?

:D

I actually Google'd it, in case anyone asked and I could say "Google it...." instead of having to type it in. I was surprised to find:

Best Answer: These days marmalade is defined as being made from citrus fruits. Originally, marmalade was made from quinces -- the word comes from 'marmelo', which is Portuguese for quince.
Marmalade is made by boiling the juice, pulp and peel of the fruit with sugar and water.

Jam can be made from any fruit (or even vegetables in some cases) and just refers to a preserve made by boiling the fruit (or veg!) with sugar.
Marrow and rhubarb are two vegetables that are commonly made into jam.

Conserve is similar to jam but contains whole fruits (strawberry conserve would therefore have whole strawberries in it, while strawberry jam could contain just pieces of strawberry.)

Hope that's a help.
=)