Boat Blacking

Aquaman

Featured Posts

Hi Can any one advise which is best, some reports say best to use 2pack but most people just us international blacking or bitumen blacking.2 pack seems quite costly but is it worth it?

O yes i found out the over day that the bottom isn't blacked at all is that correct?

Cheerslaugh.png

Hi Can any one advise which is best, some reports say best to use 2pack but most people just us international blacking or bitumen blacking.2 pack seems quite costly but is it worth it?

O yes i found out the over day that the bottom isn't blacked at all is that correct?

Cheers:lol:

I would guess the bottom of most if not the vast majority of flat bottomed narrow boats are not blacked. Edited by MJG

To paint ...or not to paint that is the question

Nearly as divisive as cassette or pumpout,

people with flat bottomed boats often say it doesn't need it there is not enough oxygen to make it rust/it will only get scraped off.

I think it is mostly because the drydocks on the canals have steels/blocks so low you can't get at it to paint it.

I believe if it is steel and likely to get wet it should be painted others disagree

Blacking or 2 pack ? You pays your money and takes your choice

2 pack will last anything up to 5 times as long as blacking on the other hand you need to grit blast to get a decent result with it

I guess it depends on the water quality of your cruising area but whenever we docked WotEver the bottom plate was so covered in mussels there was no bare steel to rust.

Tony

Quite, they never got rubbed off on the bottom of the cut. My bottom was blacked at Fox's because that is what they do. When it was blacked in Braunston it was too low to paint under but still felt shiny

2 pack will last anything up to 5 times as long as blacking on the other hand you need to grit blast to get a decent result with it

I was having a chat with the owner of a yard the other day while standing around a boat in for blacking. We were looking at the rusty bits in the two pack caused by the normal wear and tear from boating

He was saying some of the two pack manufacturers are recommending repainting every three years now

Richard

Quite, they never got rubbed off on the bottom of the cut. My bottom was blacked at Fox's because that is what they do. When it was blacked in Braunston it was too low to paint under but still felt shiny

Have not been to Fox's for years. Used to moor there. Am now on Great Ouse so might well consider Fox's for next years blacking ritual if they do the bottom plate as well. What is the ball park cost?

Thanks

Two pack is same price as vinyl tar. It's the initial cost of grit blasting that makes it costly but that's a one-off. It's true to say it lasts up to 5 years but if you want to keep your hull totally corrosion free two years is the maximum. For a variety of reasons I have re-blacked annually for the past three years and it's built up a coating like concrete. I'm going to dry dock this September to see if it's still all intact and grit blast the baseplate and two-pack that.

I use Hempel from Carters Paints in Sunderland - trade prices.

I used Interzone 954 for the bottom of Sabina H (It is an industrial coating used on things like powerstation and sewer outfalls where abrasion is likely)

She is about 3 years overdue for drydocking and re painting due health crisis (just coming up to 8 years)

Inspection has disclosed only 3 small areas where the rust has occurred. 2 on the bow where the contractors had trouble with access (66 foot boat 68 foot drydock !!) and the third on the rudder.

Interzone 954 goes on thick and is not suitable for "shiny boats" but by heck it sticks

I used Interzone 954 for the bottom of Sabina H (It is an industrial coating used on things like powerstation and sewer outfalls where abrasion is likely)

She is about 3 years overdue for drydocking and re painting due health crisis (just coming up to 8 years)

Inspection has disclosed only 3 small areas where the rust has occurred. 2 on the bow where the contractors had trouble with access (66 foot boat 68 foot drydock !!) and the third on the rudder.

Interzone 954 goes on thick and is not suitable for "shiny boats" but by heck it sticks

Does that require grit blasting or is pressure washing ok? I have heard it both ways.

At around £40 per litre that would be expensive. Hempel 15130 was around £9 per litre last August and is used in the north east shipyards. If I was blacking a new boat I think I may be tempted to try Interzone if someone could convince me it was a superior product than say 4 coats of Hempel.

Have not been to Fox's for years. Used to moor there. Am now on Great Ouse so might well consider Fox's for next years blacking ritual if they do the bottom plate as well. What is the ball park cost?

Thanks

I had them do an extra coat, I will see if I can find the price

Their web site http://www.foxboats.co.uk/marina/repairs-servicing/

Edited by ditchcrawler

Does that require grit blasting or is pressure washing ok? I have heard it both ways.

It says in the spec that grit blasting is the best way to prepare the surface to a suitable standard

At around £40 per litre that would be expensive. Hempel 15130 was around £9 per litre last August and is used in the north east shipyards. If I was blacking a new boat I think I may be tempted to try Interzone if someone could convince me it was a superior product than say 4 coats of Hempel.

You only need one coat of Interzone, they went round with a brush and White Interzone over all the rivets and plate seams then sprayed a single thick coat of black.

It says in the spec that grit blasting is the best way to prepare the surface to a suitable standard

You only need one coat of Interzone, they went round with a brush and White Interzone over all the rivets and plate seams then sprayed a single thick coat of black.

Airless spray is the best way of applying it, but you get quite an orange peel finish

i am still for zinga and zinga blacking afterwards gives a tough finish and as yet i cant see any rust when in clear water

Do you need to apply to gritblasted steel? What's the cost per litre and can it be DIY applied with a roller or brush?

Had our boat taken out today, disappointed to find Comastic was badly blistered and seemed to have trapped water underneath. It was blacked less than three years ago at the brokers when we purchased it, wonder if they didn't let it dry fully. Going to be grit blasted and two packed now.

Edit to remove double posting.

Edited by Rob-M

Had our boat taken out today, disappointed to find Comastic was badly blistered and seemed to have trapped water underneath. It was blacked less than three years ago at the brokers when we purchased it, wonder if they didn't let it dry fully. Going to be grit blasted and two packed now.

Edit to remove double posting.

Don't be disappointed if the 2 pack looks a bit chalky when it's done, this time of year/temperature/moisture isn't ideal but it will still be a fit for purpose coating.

We had ours blasted & epoxied 3 years ago at this time of year & it has always looked chalky but is still intact.

Don't be disappointed if the 2 pack looks a bit chalky when it's done, this time of year/temperature/moisture isn't ideal but it will still be a fit for purpose coating.

We had ours blasted & epoxied 3 years ago at this time of year & it has always looked chalky but is still intact.

You could always use bright red or yellow