Tree fallen onto boat at Bradford on Avon

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

Why the cynicism? They are hardly payed a fortune. Just under £3000 bi annual retainer, plus just over £13 an hour attendance fee, and that is for a fully qualified Firefighter, Trainees and those partially trained get much less. I wonder how many paople would do a dangerous job saving other people's property (and lives) for that sort of pay.

Very true, we are trying to stop them closing our local retained station. but they are still not the people who should be removing fallen trees. I suspect it is something they are not trained for, the same as winching narrowboats across a fast flowing river

Firemen remove trees from buildings and vehicles all the time, they obviously had a chainsaw, and certainly would not use one unless they were qualified to do so. But are they actually removing a fallen tree, or just removing that part of the tree which is lying across the boat, in order to remove any risk of it's weight causing the boat to take on water.

As for experience of canals, I happen to know that one of the retained Fireman grew up and until recently lived on a boat and is also a boatbuilder.

Edited by David Schweizer

Firemen remove trees from buildings and vehicles all the time, they obviously had a chainsaw, and certainly would not use one unless they were qualified to do so. But are they actually removing a fallen tree, or just removing that part of the tree which is lying across the boat, in order to remove any risk of it's weight causing the boat to take on water.

As for experience of canals, I happen to know that one of the retained Fireman grew up and until recently lived on a boat and is also a boatbuilder.

David, in no way was I criticising the fire and rescue teams, just wondering why they were called to something a contracted Arb team would normally be involved in.

I think it's fair to suggest someone who works full time as an arborist would be better qualified to attend a fallen tree, although I am sure the fire and rescue were safe and capable, maybe just not as efficient?

Anyway it's not an issue I was just wondering

David, in no way was I criticising the fire and rescue teams, just wondering why they were called to something a contracted Arb team would normally be involved in.

I think it's fair to suggest someone who works full time as an arborist would be better qualified to attend a fallen tree, although I am sure the fire and rescue were safe and capable, maybe just not as efficient?

Anyway it's not an issue I was just wondering

If it was just a fallen tree, then I agree with you, but there was the issue of saving the boat as well, as it could have been structuraly damaged under all that foliage.

I suspect that other local boaters called the Fire Service because they are well known on that stretch of canal, visitIng boats giving advice and fire prevention information, as well as attending fires on boats, and pumping out boats that are sinking.

Why the cynicism? They are hardly payed a fortune. Just under £3000 bi annual retainer, plus just over £13 an hour attendance fee, and that is for a fully qualified Firefighter, Trainees and those partially trained get much less. I wonder how many paople would do a dangerous job saving other people's property (and lives) for that sort of pay.

Agreed, have a geenie. While it is welcome extra income not many would take on this dangerous job and training time for the "fortune" you might make.

Bob

Not being cynical, just a bit light hearted, when we used to attend incidents with the retained it was amusing how we used to like get the job done quickly and get back to the station whereas they preferred to hang on a bit and get the extra hour's pay. Unless of course it was near the end of our shift and we tried to hang on! (any longer than 15 minutes past the end of the shift we would get a full hour's pay, quite often the station log book would record crews going off duty at 16 or 17 minutes past! )

Much more fun at the other end of the K&A (Hungerford) where a "boater" has driven his RangeRover through the churchyard and along a very narrow length of towpath to unload stuff from his boat. I believe the fire brigade also had to give up their valuable time to help with this one!. Rangerover strapped to trees to prevent it sliding further into the cut. CaRT quite rightly refusing towpath access to any rescue vehicles. Boater unwilling to involve his insurance company. Currently I believe negotiations ongoing about removing fences to give direct access across other church land to remove vehicle. Dunno who is going to pay for all of this.

.................Dave

Much more fun at the other end of the K&A (Hungerford) where a "boater" has driven his RangeRover through the churchyard and along a very narrow length of towpath to unload stuff from his boat. I believe the fire brigade also had to give up their valuable time to help with this one!. Rangerover strapped to trees to prevent it sliding further into the cut. CaRT quite rightly refusing towpath access to any rescue vehicles. Boater unwilling to involve his insurance company. Currently I believe negotiations ongoing about removing fences to give direct access across other church land to remove vehicle. Dunno who is going to pay for all of this.

.................Dave

Is this it

post-261-0-66986800-1455035741_thumb.jpg

"CaRT quite rightly refusing towpath access to any rescue vehicles." - so will CRT be slapping fines on the windscreens of both cars? Does 25 Pounds/day seem reasonable?

I doubt if CaRT to do anything till its been there for 14 days !!!!!!!!

I also don't think £25 will anything like pay for this one.

...............Dave

Brilliant! That's were I was until Saturday.

The boat in the foreground is the SURREY, an ex hire boat that no-one has ever seen occupied, yet it moves around regularly and compliantly, apparently all by itself!

The force is with it......we are not alone......

.................Dave

Typical Range Rover driver, (4x4 owner ) When on narrow lanes won't get on the side ! And when they go off Road Ain't got a clue ! help.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gif

I have a kreepy tale to tell you...

Thats nice, just what i need sitting here in Horror House with a gale whistling through trees that are creaking and groaning.......

and to add to the atmosphere zee lights be flickering as her in doors..that'll be the ghost of whoever whose thrown spanners in all my efforts to renovate this wreck lets me know she's not finished yet......

However back to boat soooooooon

I TOLD u to flog that 'horror house' years ago!

Gurls. Thems pay NO ATTENTION... sAve my breath... Minds of their own...!

hmmm true..but not sure anyone would have wanted this as it was so thought Id have a go at fixing it up.....its took bit longer than i fought....I do pay attention but then I make the mistake of thinking..and when us wimmen think... well decisions take so long to decide wot to do..

Typical Range Rover driver, (4x4 owner ) When on narrow lanes won't get on the side ! And when they go off Road Ain't got a clue ! help.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gif

A quick look about these people with too much money and the attitude of a gorilla reveals:

"Is there any vehicle that screams "I'm a self-important asshole" louder than a Range Rover? In a world full of cars that instill an unearned sense of self-entitlement, the Range Rover is king. Thankfully, I don't know anyone who drives a Range Rover, unless knowledge is somehow defined by being nearly plowed over as I cross the street after a Range Rover blows through a stop sign and the driver, without removing the cell phone from her ear, scowls at me for having the gall to be less affluent than her.

If you drive a Range Rover, here are some things you believe: (1) red octagons simply do not exist because you drive a Range Rover; (2) you are entitled to park anywhere -- in alleys, blocking sidewalks, on top of fire hydrants, in the middle of intersections -- without concern for silly city-imposed parking restrictions, and you are certainly entitled to complain to your housekeeper when you get a legally justified parking ticket; (3) you are entitled to drive in the middle of the road and honk when less-expensive vehicles impede your Range Rover's path; (4) tap water is intolerable; (5) that line between parking spots should actually run straight down the middle of your Range Rover; and (6) everything is an inconvenience. There are no exceptions to these rules."

"Range Rover drivers have taken over from White Van Man as the worst motorists, according to cyclists."

"Ah the Essex Range Rover driver. This breed is usually spotted around Juno Bars and tanning salons, the acquisition of such automobiles are usually down to daddy's construction business and mummy's page 3 history."

" A Lower Saucon Township woman has been charged with assaulting a garbage man, according to township police, who also said that she attempted to humiliate the man.

In a news release, police said Sarah Hart, of the 3500 block of North Drive, struck the man hard enough to break off a piece of one of his molars.

The alleged incident occurred after the garbage truck the man was riding in initially passed Hart's residence, police said.

Police said Hart didn't have her garbage out when the truck operated by Riess Bros. Hauling passed by on the afternoon of May 15, and that Hart called out for the truck to return to pick it up.

According to authorities, Hart then brought her garbage to the end of her driveway, where she allegedly threw it on the ground and told the garbageman to "pick it up with your teeth because you are a garbageman, you drive a garbage truck and I drive a Range Rover." "

Thats nice, just what i need sitting here in Horror House with a gale whistling through trees that are creaking and groaning.......

and to add to the atmosphere zee lights be flickering as her in doors..that'll be the ghost of whoever whose thrown spanners in all my efforts to renovate this wreck lets me know she's not finished yet......

However back to boat soooooooon

How about getting a tent from Ebay and spend a night in it in an old graveyard, Patty? Could be fun. http://www.eurovelo.com/en/news-items/graveyard/image_preview