Midlands river floods

matty40s

Featured Posts

On the Trent at Newark.

I think the water is about the highest I have seen it, my '3-foot' flood marker is long gone and I reckon we must be around 4 feet above normal.

The weir at Nether lock is 'no-longer' a weir (just level water).

The flow under the Marina-Aldi bridge is very fast but I think a little deceptive as the wind is blowing 'downriver' making it look like the water is moving with excessive speed.

Last night there were 'white-capped waves' blowing across the marina.

A lot of rocking and creaking and fender graunching, I'm glad we are on floating pontoons.

Trent rose 60cm at Beeston lock over Saturday night. As someone else said it had rained for 24hours from Friday night. We had some rain yesterday and quite a lot overnight last night but the Trent is currently only less than 10cm more than it was yesterday. There's an awful lot to come downriver yet though, we went on the train to Birmingham yesterday and there were floods all the way but especially bad round Tamworth. Raining again now.

Drove into Tamworth this morning. Glad that the Rivers Tame and Anker are not navigable. They have both flooded and the confluence is a turgid brown sea.

Edited to change the spelling of Tamworth from Swaheli to English.

Edited by cuthound

Seems to be dropping slightly now.

The Warks Avon (at Barton, just above Bidford) has gone down about a foot since last night. I was surprised as I thought it was still rising.

Just climbed onto the roof and took these photos with my phone. I love it here even though it's a hassle when it floods.

Looking upstream

CAM00045_zpszbn9yglm.jpg

Looking downstream

CAM00043_zpsnux4pauu.jpg

Edited by blackrose

The Warks Avon (at Barton, just above Bidford) has gone down about a foot since last night. I was surprised as I thought it was still rising.

Just climbed onto the roof and took these photos with my phone. I love it here even though it's a hassle when it floods.

Looking upstream

CAM00045_zpszbn9yglm.jpg

Looking downstream

CAM00043_zpsnux4pauu.jpg

i think you need longer gangplank sick.gif

On the Trent at Newark.

I think the water is about the highest I have seen it, my '3-foot' flood marker is long gone and I reckon we must be around 4 feet above normal.

The weir at Nether lock is 'no-longer' a weir (just level water).

The flow under the Marina-Aldi bridge is very fast but I think a little deceptive as the wind is blowing 'downriver' making it look like the water is moving with excessive speed.

Last night there were 'white-capped waves' blowing across the marina.

A lot of rocking and creaking and fender graunching, I'm glad we are on floating pontoons.

Trent at Beeston had risen a further nearly 10cm in a couple of hours last time I checked at 11. The weir is heading for level and the rate of flow is huge. Guess all sluices open at Colwich to whizz the water through Nottingham.

Moved from Stoke lock to Holme lock yesterday afternoon with about 4 foot of fresh, and ended up towing another narrowboat with engine trouble that couldn't get through the railway bridge. (he was coming backwards in the flow)

Corners were rough, steady but slow progress on the straights.

Trent at Beeston had risen a further nearly 10cm in a couple of hours last time I checked at 11. The weir is heading for level and the rate of flow is huge. Guess all sluices open at Colwich to whizz the water through Nottingham.

1.7m at beeston this morning though looks as though might have been a bit higher. Rained a lot yesterday so won't be down any time soon.

1.7m at beeston this morning though looks as though might have been a bit higher. Rained a lot yesterday so won't be down any time soon.

The fields are underwater in Stafford and Shugborough Hall grounds down to Wolesely Bridge are partially flooded. Much more to come down from further up the Trent yet.

Edited by matty40s

I waded off the boat around lunchtime today as the level is going down quite fast. No need for the dinghy. It was up to my stomach as I stepped down the ladder and onto the jetty.

It's a bit odd walking up the road and seeing your boat moored out in the middle of the river!

CAM00047_zpsq0vmxrho.jpg

Edited by blackrose