Domestic Batteries

Featured Posts

Need to replace my two 110ah batteries. I am not a liveaboard so am not worried at having the highest possible quality. If i can get a cheapish pair and get a couple of seasons out of them I will be happy. So any pointers out there please? I have found Advance Battery Supplies on the web (£67 each, inc vat and delivery) but do not know the company.

I live in the Norwich area and the boat it near Ely, although mail order might be the way to go.

Thanks

£59.45 inc.VAT delivered, 4 year warrantymfxv110.JPG

Have or are you thinking of a change to these.

I remember you having Numax sealed cxv. Do you think these might be a better or equal replacement.

Says 250 life cycles assume this is charge/discharge. Don't seem many if that's the case or am I intetpreting that wrong.

Edited by valrene9600

Batteries are heavy as a heavy thing, so I don't expect mail order is a good option.

If it where me I would go along to the local battery outlet in town, or phone them using yell.com or whatever and just buy whatever the recommend as being an ok wet-cell battery to go in a boat/caravan/motorhome.

Avoid the cheapest as they wont have enough lead in them because lead costs money, and avoid the really expensive ones because they are likely to no better than any other, but you should pick up an decent exide/varta/etc without paying mad money. The warranty is largely meaningless in terms of using it, but at the same time, if they wont give 3-5years you have to wonder why!

Also, on another tack, correctly spec'ed batteries that get charged back up again should do 3-5 years easy, so if you are buying a new pair every two years in my mind you are doing something wrong.

As a reference, we basically just weekend the boat over summer, and tie it up for 4months of winter abandoned, and 6-8 years our of 4x110ah batteries.

Daniel

The delivery kills it, but here we are: http://www.leisurebatteryshop.co.uk/Exide-PP115-Leisure-Boat-Caravan-Battery

The other take is, that the whole 'leisure battery' thing is bull, and you should just get a 110Ah starter battery, and I without having done any tests myself, people who I respect partially or completely on the topic claim sufficient agreement I would certainly consider a local starter battery favourable to shelling out £10 postage on something with only price in its favour.

An article on another forum:

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/technical/48402-leisure-battery-investigation-by-caravan-club

Daniel

The delivery kills it, but here we are: http://www.leisurebatteryshop.co.uk/Exide-PP115-Leisure-Boat-Caravan-Battery

The other take is, that the whole 'leisure battery' thing is bull, and you should just get a 110Ah starter battery, and I without having done any tests myself, people who I respect partially or completely on the topic claim sufficient agreement I would certainly consider a local starter battery favourable to shelling out £10 postage on something with only price in its favour.

An article on another forum:

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/technical/48402-leisure-battery-investigation-by-caravan-club

Daniel

Who are Tayna under another name.

Open cell is better than sealed, like the Hankook appear to be. You can charge them faster.

I would not be convinced that one is sealed from the photo. I strongly suspect a screwdriver in the vent holes or close by may well lever the whole "back" section of the top off to reveal the cells.

However to be sure I would want to look at one in the flesh.

Just bought from Tayna, have yet to arrive expecting them Monday.

Did they miss the delivery time? I've bought off Tanya a few times and always been impressed with the speed of delivery, usually next day.

I would not be convinced that one is sealed from the photo. I strongly suspect a screwdriver in the vent holes or close by may well lever the whole "back" section of the top off to reveal the cells.

However to be sure I would want to look at one in the flesh.

That's interesting Tony. I didn't know that.

Did they miss the delivery time? I've bought off Tanya a few times and always been impressed with the speed of delivery, usually next day.

No.

Came to agreement as to delivery, at my request.

All negotiations etc. done via e-mail (via site 'contact us'), so far so good,

Customer service excellent and answers almost immediately given.

Just to make clear, should have said ordered expecting them next Monday

Need to replace my two 110ah batteries. I am not a liveaboard so am not worried at having the highest possible quality. If i can get a cheapish pair and get a couple of seasons out of them I will be happy. So any pointers out there please? I have found Advance Battery Supplies on the web (£67 each, inc vat and delivery) but do not know the company.

I live in the Norwich area and the boat it near Ely, although mail order might be the way to go.

Thanks

It depends on what you have at the moment, wet (flood), sealed, gel or AGM.

Do you know what you have?

Re Advance I have used the and found them OK

No.

Came to agreement as to delivery, at my request.

All negotiations etc. done via e-mail (via site 'contact us'), so far so good,

Customer service excellent and answers almost immediately given.

Just to make clear, should have said ordered expecting them next Monday

Yeah, that sounds like Tanya. Good company to deal with.

Batteries are heavy as a heavy thing, so I don't expect mail order is a good option.

If it where me I would go along to the local battery outlet in town, or phone them using yell.com or whatever and just buy whatever the recommend as being an ok wet-cell battery to go in a boat/caravan/motorhome.

Avoid the cheapest as they wont have enough lead in them because lead costs money, and avoid the really expensive ones because they are likely to no better than any other, but you should pick up an decent exide/varta/etc without paying mad money. The warranty is largely meaningless in terms of using it, but at the same time, if they wont give 3-5years you have to wonder why!

Also, on another tack, correctly spec'ed batteries that get charged back up again should do 3-5 years easy, so if you are buying a new pair every two years in my mind you are doing something wrong.

As a reference, we basically just weekend the boat over summer, and tie it up for 4months of winter abandoned, and 6-8 years our of 4x110ah batteries.

Daniel

Mostly true but a rather sweeping statement as to how long they will last. The op mentions a couple of seasons? Now I dont have a clue what a season is? but my useage is 24/7 365 and that means they are cycled generaly 365 times a year so two years is doin very well for cheapo batteries and generaly thats all I get from my cheapos that are kept well charged daily. Do manufacturers ever publish " Genuine " details over how many times such battery cycling can be done before batts are u/s?

Tim

It depends on what you have at the moment, wet (flood), sealed, gel or AGM.

Do you know what you have?

How does what he has effect what he buys, other than space available.

am not worried at having the highest possible quality. If i can get a cheapish pair and get a couple of seasons out of them I will be happy.

I think the answer is open wet lead acid, unless they need to be fitted on their side or upside down.

Do manufacturers ever publish " Genuine " details over how many times such battery cycling can be done before batts are u/s?

Tim

Yes they do, Tim, but those tables assume always charging to 100% from whatever DoD they specify (usually 50%).

Tony

If his charging systems are set up for floods then I think you will find most sealed (exclude some AGM) will not be happy at 14.8V or thereabouts

So the real question is,

What means of charging do you have?

Make and model of charger would help, if available.

Have or are you thinking of a change to these.

I remember you having Numax sealed cxv. Do you think these might be a better or equal replacement.

Says 250 life cycles assume this is charge/discharge. Don't seem many if that's the case or am I intetpreting that wrong.

Not myself no and I admit to maybe scoffing at the claims and warranty as others have, although not sure how that helps. It sounded like the OP just wanted the cheapest leisure option though, and the sealed 110 Ah ones I linked to fitted that profile.

Has anyone found cheaper than £59.45 delivered? In any case they offer a price match smile.png