peak forest canal in a shocking state

crossley

Featured Posts

Whose is that sunken boat by swizzles? Looks salvageable but I wouldn't like to foot the bill for refloating it.

What, this one? I thought it belonged to the Queen.

2dueSME.jpg

Why would there be much of a bill for refloating that? Looks eminently suitable for DIY salvage. Al it needs is a line of sandbags along the gunnel, and presumably the same at the front, with a couple of sandbags pushed into the corner of the well deck to block the drains, and then just leave a pump running for a couple of hours, and it should come up no trouble.

Why would there be much of a bill for refloating that? Looks eminently suitable for DIY salvage. Al it needs is a line of sandbags along the gunnel, and presumably the same at the front, with a couple of sandbags pushed into the corner of the well deck to block the drains, and then just leave a pump running for a couple of hours, and it should come up no trouble.

I don't know if that is the boat referred to. I took that pic on the Upper Peak Forest 18 months ago.

What, this one? I thought it belonged to the Queen.

2dueSME.jpg

No - that boat, which seemed to float-free and sink along the Macc and Upper Peak Forest for a few years has now been refloated and is being refurbished by a new owner.

When we passed the sunken boat opposite Swizzels over the weekend it did look like preparatory work for re-floating had started. A real tragedy, as the owner spent a lot of time last year working on it.

A group of us went to Bugsworth for the New Year, 15 boats, I have boated on the upper Peak Forest for 45 years, most of the boats were "old boats" 3ft draught, I have never had a problem more than any where else.

• Greenie 1

Someone's nicked the water again.

Was up at the boat earlier today to do a bit of painting, and found that I'm, firmly on the bottom, with the uxter plate now 2" out of the water.

Got a bit of a list to port too.

Good job I,m not going anywhere soon.

Couldn't move it if I wanted to now.

We were afloat on Thursday.

Anyone else noticed the level had dropped?

A group of us went to Bugsworth for the New Year, 15 boats, I have boated on the upper Peak Forest for 45 years, most of the boats were "old boats" 3ft draught, I have never had a problem more than any where else.

Same here - but it hasn't got any better overall though in that time ( - yes I know it was only built as a shallow horse boat canal....!)

There is a dredging plan between now and 2017 - mostly spot dredging - have you contacted CRT - Brian and AnneMarie on Alton would appreciate it as they are on their fortnightly run this weekend and would appreciate others reporting the levels (I would, but as they know I am in hospital, this might look a little strange)

There is a dredging plan between now and 2017 - mostly spot dredging - have you contacted CRT - Brian and AnneMarie on Alton would appreciate it as they are on their fortnightly run this weekend and would appreciate others reporting the levels (I would, but as they know I am in hospital, this might look a little strange)

I suspect a large amount of the funds allocated to dredging this year will be reallocated for flood damaged repairs