Appeal for Flood Hit Communities - REALLY???

The Toad in the Hole

Featured Posts

I don't usually have a lot of time for the C&RT knockers here, I'm generally quite supportive, but the latest fundraising email is really grinding my gears.

Please show your solidarity with the thousands of people whose lives have been turned upside-down. Help us rebuild canals in the heart of flood-hit communities by making a donation today:
canalrivertrust.org.uk/donate/flood-appeal

The money you raise will be used to repair major structural failures and to deal with canal breaches and landslips. We must also fix holes, washouts and clear deposited silt that have forced the closure of towpaths and waterways.

I know a few people who's lives have been turned upside down by flooding and top of their priorities is not a nice walk down the towpath. And frankly, the language of this appeal is a bit disingenuous. Maybe I'm over reacting, or maybe it's just the use of the word "community" in the context of a national charity, but I'd expect an appeal for a disaster hit community would be for temporary accommodation, repairs to schools etc.

Ah I dunno. Maybe it's just sense of perspective failure on my part.

Living in Cumbria and coming about 3 mm short of having the water actually in the house I don't see the problem. Yes a nice walk down by the canal isn't going to be high on anybodies list at the moment but going by experiences in Carlisle many will be out of their homes for 12 months and some more.

During that time they will have got to a stage where there is nothing more they can do and have to leave it to professionals, then as the weather improves a nice walk down by the canal might be as high on the agenda as it was.

Also there is the morale aspect living in a community where homes have been wrecked and having the environment around you wrecked is depressing. I regularly visit past of Ullswater which has no habitation near but has had a lot of damage to the environment (some of it will be permanent) I find the sight depressing. It must be worse seeing it around your homes everyday.

I suppose my biggest gripe is that it isn't an appeal for flood hit communities, its an appeal for C&RT (who I appreciate will have to find a lot of money that wasn't in their budget for these repairs) It' not the principle I object to, it's the wording

I concede that this was my immediate thought when I saw the link on another thread a few days back.

However I guess some communities will make use of the canals for walking, cycling etc so they are in that sense a 'resource' to the local communities where they have been damaged and access is now restricted, but I might be just being a tad generous there as the wording could indeed be taken to mean that money is going to help people flooded out of their homes and businesses.... which may or may not be a deliberate ploy.

I suppose my biggest gripe is that it isn't an appeal for flood hit communities, its an appeal for C&RT (who I appreciate will have to find a lot of money that wasn't in their budget for these repairs) It' not the principle I object to, it's the wording

They couldn't word it as an appeal for the communities as somebody would soon be saying they were using the disaster immorally for their own ends. They have to make it clear it is for the canals of the area and leave it up to people common sense and empathy to work out why.

Just the way I see it.

Or is it just the word solidarity you are objecting to?

the wording could indeed be taken to mean that money is going to help people flooded out of their homes and businesses....

Which part do you read like that MJG? I can't read it like that as repair canals is clearly stated in the first 20 words.

Which part do you read like that MJG? I can't read it like that as repair canals is clearly stated in the first 20 words.

Ah now that is very interesting because when I looked at that page the other day the red banner at the top very clearly read 'help our flood hit communities' or very similar, the wording has been changed since - perhaps in response to criticism that it wasn't entirely worded appropriately??

Edited by MJG

The partnerships are meant to be the link between the communities and the canal , wouldn't it be good if they could get together as a group and lead the fund raising to support the repair of the flood damage areas of the canal infrastructure. I suspect the communities/partnerships in the affected areas have enough on their plate. This is whete those not directly effected can help.

I know what you mean; it is a bit of a stretch to suggest that this is a way of showing solidarity with people directly affected by flooding. Then again, canals and towpaths are community assets just as much as, say, parks and playgrounds, and I don't think I'd question an appeal to help a community by repairing those things. (You wouldn't generally see such an appeal, I suppose, because parks and playgrounds are generally the responsibilities of local authorities and not charities... which is maybe why it's not obvious what to think about this appeal by CRT.)

The appeal email that has sent to me says

The money you raise will be used to repair major structural failures and to deal with canal breaches and landslips. We must also fix holes, washouts and clear deposited silt that have forced the closure of towpaths and waterways.

From what I read on NarrowboatWorld I think the cost to put the Rochdale and Calder & Hebble back in business is about £10m +

I have contributed but I would take issue with CRT over the use of Volunteer labour. I am a canal volunteer and I have also received another email from CRT asking if I would like to volunteer to help with clearing up the mess. I filled in the form saying I would only to then get an email back from the Volunteer Coodinators saying that there wasnt now any need for help. Bizarre but the usual case with CRT as they dont know what each dept is up to and certainly when it comes to Volunteers they tend to get forgotten. There was also a team of volunteers available from the Manchester area this last Saturday. CRT could have asked them to help over at Tod/Hebden Bridge but again they didnt seem interested.

Just a little moan!

West Yorkshire IWA has circulated the following from CRT:

A volunteer day will be going ahead on Saturday (23 January) if any IWA, CNS or SPBC members are free and want to be involved that would be a massive help. If so could they ring Lucy on the below number to say they are attending -

Lucy Dockray - 07767 383736

A meeting point hasn’t been confirmed as yet but it will be in the vicinity of Elland Lock. This is to help clearing towpaths and lock surrounds and follows a similar day held on the Rochdake Canal last week."

I'm sure any volunteers who are not associated with IWA, CNS or SPBC will be equally welcome.

Also don't forget that canals are a tourist attraction and that there could well be an extra financial loss placed on local businesses and indirectly then, onto local council finances

Hire companies for a start

Richard

I understand what's being said, however there is a boating community affected between Todmorden and Hebden Bridge, the moorings near Callis Mill, pounds empty, the towpath is also the divide between canal and river in places and has washed away, afaik community allotments also affected. There has been a call to help fill the breaches with volunteers (should that be "with the help of" ?) this coming Saturday. Can't go myself, I'm working.

Just my two penn'orth, also I can't travel far into the dark side till its fixed.

• Greenie 1

I'm impressed with the way CRT prioritizes. All the devastation in Leeds, ten boats and two pontoons swept miles downstream. A major breach at Knostrop fall lock. Then the head shaking starts, huffing and puffing and claims it will take ages and millions of pounds. But guess what,,,? The CRT offices at Fearns Wharf had workers ready as soon as the water went down. Within hours they had the car park devoid of all the mud and debris. Working well into the night I couldn't help but admire their dedication to ensure CRT employees wouldn't get muddy tyres.

Edited by wobbley

I understand what's being said, however there is a boating community affected between Todmorden and Hebden Bridge, the moorings near Callis Mill, pounds empty, the towpath is also the divide between canal and river in places and has washed away, afaik community allotments also affected. There has been a call to help fill the breaches with volunteers (should that be "with the help of" ) this coming Saturday. Can't go myself, I'm working.

Just my two penn'orth, also I can't travel far into the dark side till its fixed.

You got there before me. I hope all is made safe for all very soon. I cant say i would find cruising through that sort of devastation pleasurable.

I wonder if they could apply for lottery funding.

Neil

They could, but it isn't usually a speedy process. I was involved in a couple of largish projects and it was several months ( maybe over a year) between initial enquiries and approval. There is EU money available, but that appears to be a different discussion (the govt won't apply?)

An emergency appeal is appropriate in this circumstance, but I still think the wording of the specific email is, at best, open to misinterpretation