Cats on boats

Dave Payne

Featured Posts

Have always kept our cats ( when we lived with them) in at night, with a litter tray . No cat flap . Just couldn't lie awake worrying about them falling in . Henry was brilliant at that . The Thames , the K and A . The Nene and the Oxford, all on the move . Got very good at fishing him out as we went past , always went in whilst trying to turn around on the gunwales. Apart from that , brilliant having cats on board - almost as good as having a ' house' rabbit . Kept a large piece of carpet hanging over the stern and the bow when moored .?. Bunny

Can everyone please stop mentioning cats falling in! My wife is rather anxious about our two's wet prospects when we live aboard.

First think I took on board prior to bringing the Yorkies to the boat was a sturdy landing net just in case.

We had a cat. It was a violent psycho. We took it to the vets and had it's balls removed. It was then a resentful psycho. It used to hide in the bathroom and when someone walked past sink it's teeth into their ankles and wrap itself around their legs. It used to bring in half dead things and defend them from anyone who tried to take them off him. If anyone ever let an arm dangle over the edge of the bed or sofa he'd be there to scratch it. If he wanted to be fed in the morning he'd climb up the end of the bed and scratch our feet and sometimes we'd wake up in the morning to find the cat asleep in the bed in between us.

He was also a bit of a retard. He'd cross the cut over a bridge and sit on the other side looking at the boat and making mournful noises. The first time he stayed there all night so we used to push the boat over to get him after that.

When we went out cruising he'd go off and explore when we moored up but always come back except for one trip to Llangollen when in the morning he was nowhere to be found so we carried on without him and moored in the same spot on the way back 3 days later. He was there, making mournful noises.

He disappeared one day, no idea what happened to him. I miss him :(

Ha! the difference between a dry cat and a wet cat is quite significant!

I have three cats and they will all be moving on board with me later this year. I am also in anxious anticipation about how that will go, they will have a cat flap because they are used to a cat flap and because I cannot be door master to three cats wanting to go in and out all different times.

All these tips are very useful and I am making notes!

Edited by sallyb

We had a cat. It was a violent psycho. We took it to the vets and had it's balls removed. It was then a resentful psycho. It used to hide in the bathroom and when someone walked past sink it's teeth into their ankles and wrap itself around their legs. It used to bring in half dead things and defend them from anyone who tried to take them off him. If anyone ever let an arm dangle over the edge of the bed or sofa he'd be there to scratch it. If he wanted to be fed in the morning he'd climb up the end of the bed and scratch our feet and sometimes we'd wake up in the morning to find the cat asleep in the bed in between us.

He was also a bit of a retard. He'd cross the cut over a bridge and sit on the other side looking at the boat and making mournful noises. The first time he stayed there all night so we used to push the boat over to get him after that.

When we went out cruising he'd go off and explore when we moored up but always come back except for one trip to Llangollen when in the morning he was nowhere to be found so we carried on without him and moored in the same spot on the way back 3 days later. He was there, making mournful noises.

He disappeared one day, no idea what happened to him. I miss him sad.png

This made me smile!

I've got two cats. Both have fallen in and I can confirm that cats are good swimmers!

They love looking out the windows at the wildlife too...

I've got two cats. Both have fallen in and I can confirm that cats are good swimmers!

They love looking out the windows at the wildlife too...

post-21616-0-46263900-1452805836_thumb.jpeg

Hobbes is now 17 so doesn't step off the boat much. But he does hang out on the roof, bow or stern deck, where complete strangers have long conversations with him. He's never had a taste for mice or birds, but he does enjoy eating grass ... that he throws up on the carpets given half a chance. He's fine if left for a couple of days on his own (no cat flap) with lots of dry food and a couple of bowls of water that can't be knocked over. He gets a bit lonely (he's very affectionate when we get back), but given that he sleeps 23 hours a day and his short-term memory is very short he gets along fine.

Here's Hobbes sitting in one of his 15 favourite positions outside.

cxbnwc.jpg

Edited by Jim Batty

We have two cats and usually leave them at home when cruising. Somebody comes in to feed them. However, this year we hope to be doing more boating than usual and are considering taking them with us - so this thread is very helpful. We also have a dog (they all get on well and sleep together) so no litter tray for us because the dog (labrador) will simply eat everything in it and then be sick everywhere.

He's fine if left for a couple of days on his own (no cat flap) with lots of dry food and a couple of bowls of water that can't be knocked over. He gets a bit lonely (he's very affectionate when we get back), but given that he sleeps 23 hours a day and his short-term memory is very short he gets along fine.

I think that description fits quite a few liveaboards!

• 1 month later...

My daughter would love a cat. I feel guilty that I'd promised her a small pet (guinea pigs, that sort of thing) when we moved to a bigger house with a garden with a lawn- we did that, we were discussing the animal, then the whole situation blew up and I can't see a guinea pig (or worse, a rabbit) on a boat so she can't have one any more. But I've always had a dog, would much rather a puppy.

And I have many cat-owning friends, who post things like this on Facebook with alarming regularity: "How am I supposed to get cat wee out of three large bean bags?"

"Woke up this morning to Pippin dribbling on my face while treadling my chest. Hungry kitty!"

"Argh, bloody cat left half a shrew on the kitchen rug and I trod in it!"

"Poor Tilly is ill, got home to find she's been sick on my pillow."

These statements don't inspire me with cat-loving affection. At least if a dog is sick, it's sick on the floor by the back door. And never leaves heads or entrails uneaten on the rug.

That said, we saw a couple of Maine Coone cats living out of a camper van at a festival last summer and they seemed so... dog like that I was intrigued. Maybe there's a cat that daughter and I could both get on with...

My daughter would love a cat. I feel guilty that I'd promised her a small pet (guinea pigs, that sort of thing) when we moved to a bigger house with a garden with a lawn- we did that, we were discussing the animal, then the whole situation blew up and I can't see a guinea pig (or worse, a rabbit) on a boat so she can't have one any more. But I've always had a dog, would much rather a puppy.

And I have many cat-owning friends, who post things like this on Facebook with alarming regularity: "How am I supposed to get cat wee out of three large bean bags?"

"Woke up this morning to Pippin dribbling on my face while treadling my chest. Hungry kitty!"

These statements don't inspire me with cat-loving affection. At least if a dog is sick, it's sick on the floor by the back door. And never leaves heads or entrails uneaten on the rug.

That said, we saw a couple of Maine Coone cats living out of a camper van at a festival last summer and they seemed so... dog like that I was intrigued. Maybe there's a cat that daughter and I could both get on with...

My cat has never wee'd on a bean bag, dribbled on my chest or puked on my pillow. She has left many half-shrews. I tend not to tread on them by turning lights on when it's dark.

My cat has also never: barked incessantly, smelt horrid, rolled in shit, bit a child, been excessively needy, jumped up at people, trod mud everywhere, expected me to pick up her poo in a plastic bag.

There are drawbacks to both cats and dogs. The doggie drawbacks seem far worse to me. Others will disagree, I'm sure.

Edited by Dave_P
  • Greenie 2

My dog used to like being sick on a rug or carpet, especially if it was cream.

Shouldn't bother with guinea pigs..pooing machines, they also squeak.

I've had cats n the past but their roaming either led to RIP on roads or moving in with someone who provided better food...even my cats knew my cooking dodgy.

My dog does warn me if anyone near and makes me get out of bed in the morning..she's good company..oh and she seems to enjoy the food she gets!....but when she goes next one will probably be a tad smaller of non moult variety.

My cat has never wee'd on a bean bag, dribbled on my chest or puked on my pillow. She has left many half-shrews. I tend not to tread on them by turning lights on when it's dark.

My cat has also never: barked incessantly, smelt horrid, rolled in shit, bit a child, been excessively needy, jumped up at people, trod mud everywhere, expected me to pick up her poo in a plastic bag.

There are drawbacks to both cats and dogs. The doggie drawbacks seem far worse to me. Others will disagree, I'm sure.

True, there are! (Though as the mother of a young child, with a gravel bed in the garden and many, many neighbourhood cats, the cat poo thing is a whole other argument which I won't start here.) IDK, maybe a roaming cat would be ok. Anyone got experience of Maine Coone cats? They looked like lynx, they were fascinating.

True, there are! (Though as the mother of a young child, with a gravel bed in the garden and many, many neighbourhood cats, the cat poo thing is a whole other argument which I won't start here.) IDK, maybe a roaming cat would be ok. Anyone got experience of Maine Coone cats? They looked like lynx, they were fascinating.

Those Maine Coons do look great. I'll bet they could set records for 'filling' a litter tray though!