Help for Newbie w/Llangollen Canal itinerary

lindatork

Featured Posts

Yes, you have prompted me to walk over and consult the Nicholsons.

This doesn't look too promising: http://www.canalandriversidepubs.co.uk/pubs/llangollen/waggoners-inn.html

Bu this may be more useful to the OP: http://www.canalandriversidepubs.co.uk/pubs/llangollen-guide.html

The Waggoner's was indeed in bits when I stopped there last Spring, which meant a slog on to Welshampton, where the walk up to the village was amply rewarded.

Love all the suggestions. I am currently making my way through Mac's "Pub Cruise." Awesome list, Mac. We can't wait to scratch the surface.

Ok - I have a really newbie question - If you want to make a stop for a pub or whatever how do you determine where to moor in order to reach your intended destination? For example, I am looking at the Bridge Inn (thanks, Mac) in Chirk. I see it on google maps satellite view, but can't tell where to moor to get to it. Perhaps it will be obvious. Thanks for your patience with questions like these.

Pie - thanks for the list of water/rubbish stops. Much needed.

Arbutus - will take a look at the Collins guide. Thank you.

Loafer - I like your idea of going out for maybe just a couple days and then seeing what we want on the way back. I know we can't see it all in one week and will have to return!

Tim - thanks for info on Jack Mytton. So the Montgomery? Maybe next year if we are successful enough on this trip.

John - Of course I took your advice! That is what is so useful with forums such as these. We will look for the Kathleen on our travels.

Ken - thank you for the welcome and advice about Llangollen.

Ok - I have a really newbie question - If you want to make a stop for a pub or whatever how do you determine where to moor in order to reach your intended destination? For example, I am looking at the Bridge Inn (thanks, Mac) in Chirk. I see it on google maps satellite view, but can't tell where to moor to get to it. Perhaps it will be obvious.

You can moor to the towpath almost anywhere, except where there are notices to the contrary, so usually you just turn up and find a space close to your destination. The guides will often give a reference such as "canalside at bridge X". If the pub is in the town just moor near the nearest bridge and follow the road.

Some formal visitor moorings will have rings or bollards you can tie up to. But if not, your boat will be equipped with moorings stakes (and a heavy hammer), and you just bang these into the towpath - far enough back from the edge to be in firm ground, but not so far back as to be a hazard to people walking along the towpath.

It's a quiet rural canal - so not a lot to 'do', if that's what you want. However, it would be a pity if, having come several thousands on miles across the Pond to miss out on what is nearby. If you feel the need for a side trip, might I suggest you consider visiting Chester? A beautiful walled City (you can walk along the walls), gentrified shopping and a beautiful Cathedral - go and listen to Choral Evensong for some fantastic music. No religion required...

Goat - After crossing the Pond, we will be first spending 10 days in Ireland and then flying to Manchester in order to arrive in Chester! Chester looks beautiful and we wish we had more than one night to spend there. Hope to arrive late afternoon and then we have to leave the next day to get to Trevor to pick up our boat. Great minds think alike...

I would suggest you moor by the Lake (Mere) at Ellesmere, which is just through the tunnel. It's an easy walk from there into the town, but it's a lovely place to sit on your boat or on the towpath and watch the sun go down over the lake.

You get a good view of the cricket ground as you go over the aqueduct - you may need to do further research if you want to understand the rules...

If you like bogs, Whixall Moss is worth a stop. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenn%27s,_Whixall_and_Bettisfield_Mosses_National_Nature_Reserve

Scholar - thanks for the Ellesmere advice. Cricket? I have heard it takes a lifetime to understand! Will check out Whixall Moss.

Goat - After crossing the Pond, we will be first spending 10 days in Ireland and then flying to Manchester in order to arrive in Chester! Chester looks beautiful and we wish we had more than one night to spend there. Hope to arrive late afternoon and then we have to leave the next day to get to Trevor to pick up our boat. Great minds think alike...

Scholar - thanks for the Ellesmere advice. Cricket? I have heard it takes a lifetime to understand! Will check out Whixall Moss.

You might have to hang about if you arrive too early, Trevor might be having a lie in.

Love all the suggestions. I am currently making my way through Mac's "Pub Cruise." Awesome list, Mac. We can't wait to scratch the surface.

Ok - I have a really newbie question - If you want to make a stop for a pub or whatever how do you determine where to moor in order to reach your intended destination? For example, I am looking at the Bridge Inn (thanks, Mac) in Chirk. I see it on google maps satellite view, but can't tell where to moor to get to it. Perhaps it will be obvious. Thanks for your patience with questions like these.

Pie - thanks for the list of water/rubbish stops. Much needed.

Arbutus - will take a look at the Collins guide. Thank you.

Loafer - I like your idea of going out for maybe just a couple days and then seeing what we want on the way back. I know we can't see it all in one week and will have to return!

Tim - thanks for info on Jack Mytton. So the Montgomery? Maybe next year if we are successful enough on this trip.

John - Of course I took your advice! That is what is so useful with forums such as these. We will look for the Kathleen on our travels.

Ken - thank you for the welcome and advice about Llangollen.

Plenty of good mooring just above the Bridge Inn, east of the Chirk aqueduct i.e. the English end. There are limited moorings between the aqueduct and tunnel, and west of the tunnel, both better for Chirk village. Yes, it's usually pretty obvous where mooring is possible, almost always on the towpath side. Not many places to moor between Trevor and Llangollen, and you will have to pay to moor in Llangollen, but free electricity, although hire boats didn't have the facility to use it in my hiring days.

We were up that way around June/July a couple of years back and really enjoyed it.

I suggest you take along lots of insect repellant, bite cream and antihistimines - it was swarming with horse flies and even my husband, who never usually gets bitten, was full of bites.

We were up that way around June/July a couple of years back and really enjoyed it.

I suggest you take along lots of insect repellant, bite cream and antihistimines - it was swarming with horse flies and even my husband, who never usually gets bitten, was full of bites.

Did you find an effective anti-horsefly ointment?

Re: Whitchurch ( if you get there).

The Arm isn't that big, but you can moor all the way down to the end - except opposite the winding hole halfway down - although it doesn't look if you can. Handy if it's busy, and others are not mooring there. But it's quite narrow at the bottom end, so best to reverse in using the winding hole. Only downside is it's quite shady in the mornings.

Getting into town: Walk through the tunnel at the end of the arm, and either follow the nature trail into town, or walk along the road. Either way, head for the big church - which is worth a visit as it's quite magnificent. Opposite the church is the Black Bear pub - which we like - and you're at the top of the High Street (Main Street). Nice bakers/coffee shop halfway down. There a Tesco supermarket at the bottom the High Street. Interesting little town, with some lovely old buildings.

Re: Whitchurch ( if you get there).

The Arm isn't that big, but you can moor all the way down to the end - except opposite the winding hole halfway down - although it doesn't look if you can. Handy if it's busy, and others are not mooring there. But it's quite narrow at the bottom end, so best to reverse in using the winding hole. Only downside is it's quite shady in the mornings.

Getting into town: Walk through the tunnel at the end of the arm, and either follow the nature trail into town, or walk along the road. Either way, head for the big church - which is worth a visit as it's quite magnificent. Opposite the church is the Black Bear pub - which we like - and you're at the top of the High Street (Main Street). Nice bakers/coffee shop halfway down. There a Tesco supermarket at the bottom the High Street. Interesting little town, with some lovely old buildings.

There's also a bus every half hour if you walk across the bridge - a circular route so only one stop. The area is called 'Chemistry' which I found rather intriguing

Thank you all once again. I am keeping a list of notes specifically from this forum - things to pack, where to stop, how to stop (!), pubs, horseflies, etc. This is all unbelievably helpful to someone who has never traveled via narrowboat. Those of you who are old hands may have to dig deep to figure out what a newbie needs.

Loafer - I will try to post my trip report here afterwards!

Mac/Quebec - Thanks for the info on Whitchurch.

We have bimbled up and down the Llangollen a good few times. Last summer, we enjoyed it so much, that returning as far as Wrenbury, we turned and went back!

It is a marvellous canal, be you a novice or more experienced. The scenery is stunning and the pubs rather good as well. Be warned though. You will be hooked!

There are so many wonderful stops. Wrenbury, Ellesmere and Chirk/Trevor worth the stop and of course Llangollen itself.

If you have the time, stop near Marbury and walk into the village. The pub was good on our last visit, but the view from the rear of the church is simply stunning.

Enjoy. A few photos on our blog here.http://nb-triskaideka.blogspot.co.uk/search?updated-min=2014-12-31T16:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2015-07-31T23:00:00%2B01:00&max-results=37&start=14&by-date=false

There has been a series on British TV called "Canal Walks with Julia Bradbury". In the last one, she walks a section of the Llangollen Canal from the head of navigation to the aqueduct.

I was surprised to find it on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGQJAw9nBKI

Enjoy!

The look on the steerer's face as Julia hangs casually over the side of the boat, hanging by one hand, had me laughing and cringing at one and the same time. It is a long way down!

The look on the steerer's face as Julia hangs casually over the side of the boat, hanging by one hand, had me laughing and cringing at one and the same time. It is a long way down!

When I moored in the area, I used to see Pete a lot and boy did we take the pee out of him for that, it was a complete supprise for him