GU Masthead type lamp

fittie

Featured Posts

In the past I think I have seen a picture of a GU boat with a lamp seen through the doors of the engine 'ole but I can't find it now so I could do with a pointer. Are there any shots with one on the deck board?

I was hoping to paint my GU lamp so was interested to see what they were like and, as I think they were a backup, I was wondering how they were mounted?

Cheers.

Seasons Greetings to you all

In the past I think I have seen a picture of a GU boat with a lamp seen through the doors of the engine 'ole but I can't find it now so I could do with a pointer. Are there any shots with one on the deck board?

I was hoping to paint my GU lamp so was interested to see what they were like and, as I think they were a backup, I was wondering how they were mounted?

Cheers.

Seasons Greetings to you all

All GUCCCo boats were fitted with electric lamps from when built, those on some motors being slightly off centre to port. As far as I know no paraffin lamps were used as having modern lighting was part of their improvements.

Fascinating!

Are these available for other boats, and if so where are they held, please?

I've not seen another, I don't know if others exist. This is my own, it came from Arthur Pearsall many years ago. It raises several questions eg why running blocks for a motor - and what is the last handwritten entry?

I've not seen another, I don't know if others exist. This is my own, it came from Arthur Pearsall many years ago. It raises several questions eg why running blocks for a motor - and what is the last handwritten entry?

Or indeed the "cabin towing stud", (if it means what I think it means).

And 2 tillers? Just a spare, or two that differed in some way?

Fascinating list, what's a sand box for?

Two tillers to me is one for motor and one for butty.

And what's an "electric warning lamp"?

Encaladus and Lyra were used for some publicity shots which I believe I may hold copies of, will have a sift tomorrow.

The cabin towing stud would be the removable one for the butties cabin roof when using the running blocks.....

Yes, my assumption also, but, as you already said for the running blocks, I would expect it to be part of the butty's inventory, not that of the motor.

The vast majority of gauge tables for G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. narrow boats, including those transcribed onto B.C.N. gauge tables, list a spare tiller as being on board when weighed.

Yes, now you remind me, this is indeed true for "Letchworth", (later "Flamingo").

This is a similar list for the Canal Transport boat Eden on the L&LC. There are several similar lists in the Canal Transport archive at Ellesmere Port but they are often hand-written. I remember Charlie Atkins having a printed book for stores which came with Mendip, and he suggesting that it was the result of a lot of red tape immediately after nationalisation because of all the ex-military staff employed at management level.

gallery_6938_2_224490.jpg

That picture tells stories!

The lifebelt looks like it's taking the place of a fender, the skipper's thinking he could use it to fend off the lighter, and the shambles in the holds are sort of reflected in the stance of both crew - who would be prevented from adjusting the loads due to dock regulations governed by the Unions. Bet they'll be glad to get loaded and out of it!

I see the Ramshead is getting some protection too.

They are not my mental image of what I might expect a publicity photo to look like.

Everything looks so disorganised and out of place - chaotic almost.

smiley_offtopic.gif
I don't know a great deal about any of the different types when delivered, but if these are more or less as they were, I note that motor's rams head is very much the shape we expect today. I don't know if that was true of all the Northwich boats, but I know that many of the earliest pictures of Woolwich built boats often show a rams head with much bigger radius curves - something that seems to have largely got changed over time.

Edited by alan_fincher