CART Threatening Letter.

OptedOut

Featured Posts

Have I got things wrong I thought that now you couldn't transfer a licence so every change of ownership needed a new licence.

The 'old' T&Cs ( prior to End April 2015)

Selling the boat or removing it from the waterways: refund terms

We will transfer your licence to the new owner at no extra charge, providing the licence is fully paid and you give us the address of the new owner. Alternatively, you can return both copies of the licence disc to us and request a refund, if applicable (see refund table).

The 'new' T&Cs ( post 1st may 2015)

In accordance with Condition 7.12, the Licence is personal to you and cannot be transferred.

The Licence is specific to the Boat and to you so it is important that you notify us if anything changes.

We can take change of home address information by telephone, but if you change the name of the Boat, if your Home Mooring changes, or if you sell or give the Boat to someone else you must let us know in writing. You should include details of any changed names, addresses or telephone numbers.

We will record any change to the name of the Boat, so that the next licence issued carries the new name. We will not issue new licence discs before the current licence expires unless you specifically request this (a £20 charge applies for the replacement).

If you do not let us know the new owner’s or broker’s details, the Boat will remain registered in your name and you will be responsible for its future licensing.

Selling the boat or removing it from the waterways: refund terms

Six and twelve month standard pleasure boat licences only are refundable.

Refunds are made on a pro rata basis for whole months only, less a £30 administration charge. We calculate the number of unexpired months from the day we receive your written refund request and your two licence discs. If you are paying by instalments, we will deduct the difference between the full licence cost and the total amount you have already paid from the refund payment

The 'old' T&Cs ( prior to End April 2015)

The 'new' T&Cs ( post 1st may 2015)

In accordance with Condition 7.12, the Licence is personal to you and cannot be transferred.

The Licence is specific to the Boat and to you so it is important that you notify us if anything changes.

Does that mean our boat cannot be skippered by either of our sons, (hypothetical at this stage they are not on the insurance)?

I think the op username is most appropriate!! Opted out of. Reasonableness sense of proportion. Etc etc

Thank you.

The same as we did when the local electricity authority threatened to forcibly enter our property, (with police back-up) to install a 'smart meter', fight the case and win!

I asked them to fit one for me and it wouldnt work as we dont have mobile phone coverage.

A long story. A BW manager sent a minion to enter a private boat yard and affix a threatening letter to our boat stating that we were on BW water and our boat would be towed away if we did not pay up. We thought the matter would rest there as the legal implications were fully explained to BW. Unfortunately the matter still continues.

But was this in a marina which is subject to a Network Access Agreement, in which case your contract with the Marina will require that the boat has a current BW/CRT licence, even though the marina itself may be privately owned?

I also believe that there is no requirement to inform CaRT where the boat is when not licenced as I am then not bound by their terms and conditions once I'm off their water?

No requirement to tell them exactly where the boat is. But it is in your interest to tell them that it is not on CRT waters. If you just let the licence lapse (as you are perfectly entitled to do), you can hardly be surprised if you get the normal chain of renewal letters, which you can safely ignore if you never intend to go back. But if you do intend to return, you might reasonably find yourself on the naughty step and under suspicion of having been unlicensed for some time when you next apply for a licence.

The terms and conditions of our licence expired with the licence!

No only if the following form is completed.

Supplied with each licence is form https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/licensing-your-boat/application-forms-fees-and-useful-downloads Transfer of boat ownership/off water declaration

required to be completed if any apply. Fill in last item section D.

But was this in a marina which is subject to a Network Access Agreement, in which case your contract with the Marina will require that the boat has a current BW/CRT licence, even though the marina itself may be privately owned?

Nope, private yard, no licence required in the nine years I've been there.

Well according to the T&C that Alan has stuck above there is nothing the OP has done wrong, or been requested to do.

He has bought a 6 month licence, used it, and then gone.

he hasn't sold the boat, changed his mooring or needs a new one.

My sentiments exactly.

Supplied with each licence is form https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/licensing-your-boat/application-forms-fees-and-useful-downloads Transfer of boat ownership/off water declaration

Almost like a motor vehicle SORN declaration!

I cannot recall filling one in for many years, I just ring up, confirm name, address and index number and give my debit card number.

But it still doesn't quite make the letter 'threatening' does it?

Does as far as I'm concerned as it seems to imply that my next 6 month licence will be subject to an additional £150 charge.

As I've already spoken to CaRT expressing my concerns I'm sure they will write to confirm how they intend to address said concerns.

Does as far as I'm concerned as it seems to imply that my next 6 month licence will be subject to an additional £150 charge.

As I've already spoken to CaRT expressing my concerns I'm sure they will write to confirm how they intend to address said concerns.

It's a pretty standard format I would say. No threat at all just a clarification of the process if licences aren't paid on time. Of course if you want to,play some sort of victim then I can understand why you perceive it to be 'threatening'.

Your threshold of 'threat perception" is pretty low I would say.

Perhaps you need to read post #86.

To help you:

If you renew before the old licence expires, you get a 10% discount,

If you renew within 1 month of expiry, you pay full price

If you renew more than a month after expiry, you pay full price plus £150

You are NOT being hard done by.

Get over it!

Edited by Graham Davis

It is apparent you do not know the full circumstances surrounding the issue.

But the full circumstances under discussion surely is the matter you placed here for discussion. Namely that you have received a threatening letter. The letter by common agreement appears to contain no threat whatever and is in fact a standard renewal reminder. Now it seems you have a long standing grudge going back to BW days which clearly colours your judgement. The letter issue surely is dealt with, you are being over sensitive.

Almost like a motor vehicle SORN declaration!

I cannot recall filling one in for many years, I just ring up, confirm name, address and index number and give my debit card number.

That sloppily worded Form appears to be primarily intended to be used when a boat is sold to a new owner, or possibly if the owner's 'details' change. Using it to notify changes related to mooring is stated to be optional and not compulsory. Unlike a road vehicle SORN Declaration, there is no section to be filled in if the Licence is not being renewed.

Whilst I cannot agree that the letter in the OP is threatening in itself, it is, nevertheless, the standard prelude to the threatening letter that follows.

I got one just like it in September after I temporarily ceased using my boat in the main navigable channel of the river Trent, and therefore, had no need to renew the 'Rivers only Licence' which had expired at the end of August.

Due to C&RT's rather strange ideas, inherited from BW, about the imaginary powers that enable them to demand that any vessel of their choosing must be licensed, irrespective of it being moored on private waters, or waters where the Public Right of Navigation is extant, they followed up with a letter which could not be construed, even by the most fervent of C&RT apologists, as anything but threatening.

The situation is not so very different from that in the OP.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

That sloppily worded Form appears to be primarily intended to be used when a boat is sold to a new owner, or possibly if the owner's 'details' change. Using it to notify changes related to mooring is stated to be optional and not compulsory. Unlike a road vehicle SORN Declaration, there is no section to be filled in if the Licence is not being renewed.

Whilst I cannot agree that the letter in the OP is threatening in itself, it is, nevertheless, the standard prelude to the threatening letter that follows.

I got one just like it in September after I temporarily ceased using my boat in the main navigable channel of the river Trent, and therefore, had no need to renew the 'Rivers only Licence' which had expired at the end of August.

Due to C&RT's rather strange ideas, inherited from BW, about the imaginary powers that enable them to demand that any vessel of their choosing must be licensed, irrespective of it being moored on private waters, or waters where the Public Right of Navigation is extant, they followed up with a letter which could not be construed, even by the most fervent of C&RT apologists, as anything but threatening.

The situation is not so very different from that in the OP.

The major difference being that one has and one has not received a threatening letter.