D D D D DOGGY SAFETY

Adam

Featured Posts

Hi i have a black labrdor and i am planning on taking her on my new narrowboat it has a semi traditonal stern

is it possible to steer with the doors closed and you inside with the dog?

are dog lifejackets a good thing?

if my dog jumps in will it harm her???

thanks!!

Hi i have a black labrdor and i am planning on taking her on my new narrowboat it has a semi traditonal stern

thanks!!

If your Lab is typical then I think the canal would be very tempting. It is possible to steer with the doors closed and you inside, but there are locks to negotiate and times when you have to step on and off the boat, when mooring for instance.

I would always use a doggy life jacket although many don't, a wet dog can be difficult to pull back onto the boat or canal sides for that matter if steep as I have found.

Both my dogs have fallen into the canal on occasion with no harm whatsoever, but make sure their lepto vaccine is up to date. Many encourage their dogs to go for a swim and the dogs do seem to enjoy it.

Last year at Crick, there was one very sick Labrador that had been in the canal, the vet had put him on anti-biotic, it was 'touch and go' for quite sometime.

On the other hand my own dog has been in the canal with no ill effects.

A life jacket whilst not essential will aid in the recovery of the dog, as Bernie says.

When our dog fell in (about the size of a Jack Russell) the canal,trying to lift him back on to the cruiser stern was bl**dy difficult.

I had to lie flat on my front and with my arm at full stretch could only just reach the scruff of his neck, only able to lift him to gunnel (spelling) level and from there some had to lift him on board.

I am sure he and you will enjoy the canals, just be aware of the possible problems.

Keep his inoculations up to date.

thanks!!

That is what we did until the dog got used to the idea. He now sits on the counter and watches the world go by.

Newbie dogs usually fall in a couple of times before they learn not to.

Agreed. Our dog fell in twice last summer, whereas I managed only once.

Hi Adam,

If she's anything like my lab, She will absolutely love the boat and particularly the water. Hence my forum name.

Only panic I've had with her is when she followed me across a lock gate and fell in when the paddles were up !

Thankfully I was right beside her and grabbed her collar and hauled her out. Now she goes on the lead at locks.

Stuart.

We have two dogs, Labrador x deerhound. They are nearly 9 now and have been on the boat since 9 months.

Our two wear harnesses so that when they fall in they are easy to pull out, as you are not pulling them by the scruff of the neck but by the handle between their shoulder blades which enables you to have full control. They no when it's holidogs when we get the harnesses out!!!!!

They have not fallen in many times but when they have it has not caused them any ill affect. They also frequently drink from the canal as they seem to prefer this to the fresh water we put down.

Last year one of them actualy fell from a lock gate into an empty lock which gave both myself and my husband heart failure. I was on the lock side at the time and he was in the boat. To cut a very long story short he hauled her out, and when she jumped off the boat she ran straight across the lock gate again!!!!!

Also when we moor they seem to know that the length of the boat is their territory and are quite happy just to lay on the tow path watching the world go by. In fact when they are on the boat they very rarely have their leads on!

Our vet says that it is the best thing you can do with dogs. So have fun with your dog on the canals I'm sure the dog will.

Mrs Panda :cheers:

Ours fell in every week for about three months when we first got him, most of the time when we were moored up!

He's a bit daft so when we do locks we either have him on the lead on the towpath, on the lead on the boat (we made an attachment to tie the lead to, we've a semi trad so when he's tied to this he is well within the confines of the boat and cannot jump around). I also got a harness for him to wear, so we can pull him out easily.

Ours fell in every week for about three months when we first got him, most of the time when we were moored up!

He's a bit daft so when we do locks we either have him on the lead on the towpath, on the lead on the boat (we made an attachment to tie the lead to, we've a semi trad so when he's tied to this he is well within the confines of the boat and cannot jump around). I also got a harness for him to wear, so we can pull him out easily.

An ordinary traditional stern can be a bit hazardous for a dog. Holly (terrier type mongrel) fell in while I was steering. I did not notice her and gave her a gently push. Splash. I then fell ion trying to get her out. Neither of us suffered at all. The weather was warm and the place was Ellesmere.

Nick

Last sunday we were moored up at the bottom of the Bosley locks, watching the world go by, and the local day boat trying to turn around. That was funny enough in itself, but what happened later was the best bit.

They moored up, and peace and still waters returned.

There was another privately owned boat moored by us, with the most patient and well behaved dog I've ever met. While we were sat out eating lunch, the little Jack Russel sat at our feet quite happily. Normally we're not exactly a family dog-lovers, although I would have a Westie if I had time to look after one.

Anyway, the story continues. The Jack Russell gets back on her boat, and shortly after the dayboat departs. As its going past us, their black Labrador decides it's time for an unscheduled swim. Much shouting and mad attempts to pull back to the side ensued. The funniest part of the whole incedent was watching the Jack Russell, who bounded off her boat, legged-it along to towpath, and started staring and barking at the black Lab as if to say "you really are a stupid sod!"

The best 5 minutes entertainment I've had this year! (Especially when the lab shook the water off his coat, all over a prestinely dressed teenage girl, not looking to happy at the outcome!) :cheers:

ttbfn,

ChrisC

My dog fell in loads last summer - her first summer as a live-aboard. I would strongly advise a harness - it's much easier to pull her out, compared to just a collar. (She's not a water dog particularly - German Sheppard Collie cross.)

However, on all but one occasion it was no big deal. The big deal happened when she fell in a lock and slipped her collar, hence why I think harnesses are a good idea.

We'v had 2 Border Collies on board with no prblems whatsoever. Just sat and watched the world go by , never once attemping an unscheduled dip (muddy puddles are preferred), shut away safely when negotiating locks. We've had more trouble with them when we go camping , having to keep them tied up and watch them all the time.

Edited by tillergirl

Important safety tip:

Always have him on a lead when crossing the road. Far more dangerous than being on a boat.

Im deffonatly with Carl on this one.

- You do have to use common sence, and take care. But then you always should.

- Boats are only dangerous if you dont engauge you brain, or dont concentrate.

We took our labrador sized mongrel on the boat loads of times, with nothing other than common sense and a bit of thought.

Im quite sure harnesses can be helpfull for geting them out, and if they end up in a lot, its properbly wise to get one. But we never had one, and she only fell in once anyway. (well, jumped, and missed!)

Daniel

We leave their car harnesses on as that provides a handle.

We relaxed our rule of dogs inside at locks yesterday, and allowed them at the back with leads securing them. Result was a paw caught between the boat and the lock gate as we were leaving a lock, and she's had to have a GA and stitches today at the vet - just off now to pick her up. :D

Yes, obviously no bouyancy, but the place you clip them on to the seat belt makes a great handle for fishing out (they are brilliant swimmers), or a very secure and safe tie on if you don't want them wandering. Needless to say I had Tia on trust when she hurt her paw. When she's been good for a while I start to trust her, but she is a cocker spaniel............. More fool me! :(