A new boat versus a secondhand boat

Toby knight

Featured Posts

Could I ask a question please, what are experienced members thoughts on purchasing a new boat compare to a relatively expensive second-hand, the reading I have done suggests that the steel in new boats that are built today I'm not as durable, as the boats that have been built say 10 years 15 years ago. Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

If you are one of 'those' that always buys a new car then why not buy a new boat ?

If, on the other hand you are happy to buy ' a pre-loved' car why not do the same with a boat ?

Are you prepared to sit on a toilet that someone else has sat on ?, if so buy 2nd hand, if not, buy 2nd hand and replace the toilet.

Let someone else take the hit on depreciation in the 1st year, find they don't like boating or complying with the rules, and sell it to you.

You will get a far better boat for your money.

If you see a nice second hand boat that you like and the price is right its a good buy and you will get it a bit cheaper than a brand new one that is identical, also you will know the boat exists, the build wont have gone out of business before you get it, you get it now and not two years time, you know what you are getting.

If you dont have boating experience you are unlikely to know exactly what you want and if you have one built you could easily build in things you dont want.

If you know exactly what you want, you wont compromise and are happy to wait then buy new.

Could I ask a question please, what are experienced members thoughts on purchasing a new boat compare to a relatively expensive second-hand, the reading I have done suggests that the steel in new boats that are built today I'm not as durable, as the boats that have been built say 10 years 15 years ago. Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

I think the steel thing is a bit of a red herring.

If you like a second hand one, and it's a sensible price, get it surveyed first.

You'll probably save a wad of cash compared with a new boat.

A new boat may be more expensive, but it can be to your exact requirements, not someone else's.

As MTB says, yours could be the first @rse on the loo!

It may take a while to get delivered, and you need to find a financially secure builder who is not going to go t*ts up during the build process.

There are lots of "horror stories" on the 'net from people who have suffered financial losses at the hand of boat builders.

I suggest that you read them and learn from them before parting with any cash.

Edited by PaulG

I'm inclined to regard the first years' depreciation as 'The VAT' - VAT adds no value to the object, so the real value is the price less 20%

So why buy new - unless of course there's some other compelling reason.

I never, well hardly ever, buy a new car. Always around a year old and I get the benefit of all those lovely extras that I wound never have specified when new.

Folks cast things off quickly nowadays - so take advantage of their intemperance.

When we bought our four year old boat in 2010 there was no way we could have afforded such a nice boat from such a good shell builder and so well spec'd, and with a very nice hand built, nicely finished fit out if it had been new.

We opted to go for that rather than be the owners of a new but no where near as nice boat for similar money.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

It is an illusion to think that there will be no problems with a new boat. Even apart from any snags introduced in the actual build come those introduced with all the bits of machinery. They may be under guarantee, but you'd still have the hassle of getting any bugs sorted out. What tends to happen is that you get any original problems sorted and then have a long time with no further difficulties until bits start wearing out. The secret is to buy second hand during this period any enjoy the trouble free cruising the original owner wished he'd had from day 1.

Tam

i if i am honest regret not having a new dutch barge built when i could have afforded it. it would have saved me changing boats and all the work i have done inbetween. however would i have known what i want from the outset that i am not so sure about so either way its a bit of a gamble when you set off on this boating lark

Thanks all you've been most helpful, I've seen this boat, it's seems reasonable and for a good quality secondhand boat and

comparable, It is the kind of boat I'm looking for the only thing it's missing a hatches and a multifuel stove, any thoughts?

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/113707929/new-narrowboat-for-sale.html

Thanks all you've been most helpful, I've seen this boat, it's seems reasonable and for a good quality secondhand boat and

comparable, It is the kind of boat I'm looking for the only thing it's missing a hatches and a multifuel stove, any thoughts?

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/113707929/new-narrowboat-for-sale.html

Are you going to live on it or use it all during the winter? Not least because if the diesel heater packs in (which they can) you have no secondary heating source that I can see.

Pretty much essential to have a stove if you are and locating one in that boat will need a fair bit of re jigging.

Edited by MJG

My thoughts are you should look at around 10 or 20. Here, you're saying that it's the 'kind of thing you're looking for'. When you see the one where you say 'this is absolutely the one, and I just HAVE to have it', then that's the one you should consider buying.

It'll be cheaper secondhand - you just won't get that expensive new smell...

Yes Martin, it would be used in winter, that's the reason for the stove also, it has to be said they do look great even

Considering the ash and soot

You are correct to think about a stove and what would be involved in fitting a stove to one if it hasn't got one. That said there are boats out there with one fitted already

We have hired a boat in winter, more than once. Hire boats don't usually have a stove and the ones we hired didn't. We had to keep the central heating running full belt 24/7 during by co incidence what was a very cold spell on one particular trip. As a result we hammered the gas consumption (That boat will do the same with diesel) though won't cost as much perhaps admittedly.

By contrast in winter when we had our own boat we could often keep warm using the stove alone and it was much cheaper (this of course varies depending where you buy your fuel from). We only used the diesel heater to heat the rear cabin if we really needed to and a run of the engine to top up the heat of the domestic water.

I think buying a boat is a bit like getting married.

New ones are full of teething troubles and sometimes don't work properly, but smell nice.

Second hand is almost always better. All facilities tried and tested, usually cost less in the long run, but can easily be made to smell nice.

It is best to go online and check out a few first, especially the second hand ones. There are many websites designed for this purpose.

Don't forget to take age into account!

Edited by Loafer

The steel thing is a myth. Don't forget that Collingwood is a budget boat builder. Their boats are OK but built down to a price, and you can see that if you look under the glitzy surface. Everything is a bit flimsy and lightweight. For that money you could get a quality second hand boat, which is more likely to be totally fit for purpose and more robust.

I'll give you a trivial example: if you look along the side of the boat near and below where the waterline would be, there is a big expanse of steel with no rubbing strakes. So the routine minor abrasions with lock sides etc will take the blacking off in any old place. Quality boats have mid-height strake typically around or just below the waterline, this helps to keep the scrapes just on the strake, making the boat look tidier for longer and easier to maintain. It's a small point but a significant one.

Edited by nicknorman

The steel thing is a myth. Don't forget that Collingwood is a budget boat builder. Their boats are OK but built down to a price, and you can see that if you look under the glitzy surface. Everything is a bit flimsy and lightweight. For that money you could get a quality second hand boat, which is more likely to be totally fit for purpose and more robust.

Yes but its almost half the price of a second hand Hudson that I listed. You have to decide how much you want to pay and what quality you want.

Yes but its almost half the price of a second hand Hudson that I listed. You have to decide how much you want to pay and what quality you want.

Yes but that was virtually a brand new Hudson, barely what most people would call "second hand". A 10 year old Hudson would be more in the price range.

I agree about deciding what to pay and for what quality, the trouble is that someone buying a first boat probably finds it hard to understand what makes a quality boat vs a cheap one. We certainly felt like that and that is why we considered buying a new Orchard boat before we saw the light!

Thank you you all make excellent points, and sense I think it will be a secondhand boat to start,

as I originally wanted, I love the old wood look something that has been cared for over the years.

Start with Apollo Duck website. Lots of boats there.