Doggers

brickie

Featured Posts

Ah yes, when we had a crew of 4 we trained them to respond to "Be Quick" by having a pee and a poo. We would do this if we had to leave them for a while or were going to be cruising for a while. It was easy to do and made for a happier life for both us and the dogs..

I learnt this trick from my uncle though he used the term "Go on, 3 trees"

Phil

Same here, I first came on the idea from an ex horse solder who claimed they trained the horses to do it so they didn't crap on parade. His view was if a horse can do it training a dog should be a piece of cake.

I believe someone was fined for flicking dog poo in canal..only stuff to put in canal thats acceptable is water apparently.

I had a think about dog poo..we bag it, we bin it and landfill must be heaving with it.

Im in two minds about disposing of it in ditches unbagged as surely it'll then be as nature intended..provide fertiliser for land and I have seen slugs that seem to snack on it. Perhaps some of us to diligent in clearing up. I don't know.

I go along with that idea

I think that highlighting the actions of the irresponsible amongst dog owners is a way forward. This should result in additional pressures on this minority. I heard about one chap who sprays any he finds with flouro paint. I like that. I found half a dozen bags 'hidden' under stop planks recently.Naturally, when I moved on, they were in the middle of the towpath.

I also do not like the "flickers in the hedge" merchants.

I recently read some blurb from the NT who were advocating flicking into the undergrowth as their preferred way of disposal.

I suspect because they don't have a dog poo fairy to deal with all the hung up plastic bags.

When i used to jog with my dog I kept him on a lead so I knew exactly what he was up to (plus he was my pacemaker) Got some odd looks jogging on the spot waiting for him to finish so I could clear up!

Glad it's not just me then!!

I recently read some blurb from the NT who were advocating flicking into the undergrowth as their preferred way of disposal.

I suspect because they don't have a dog poo fairy to deal with all the hung up plastic bags.

Now there's an idea, the hung up plastic bags could be given the flouro treatment too. Just imagine it, those decorations swinging gently in the breeze, it would be like Christmas all year round.

We walk our dog in the Wyre Forest near Stourport and the policy there is to "stick'n'flick". The walks are well marked etc. but there are no pooh bins so; we flick it into the undergrowth. If this is Forestry Commission policy does this mean that they are happy that the pooh will biodegrade and benefit the flaura and fauna ? I guess it must

Stick and flick has always been my policy. The idea of bagging up poo and putting it in a bin is a bit silly.Flicking it into the 'rough' is far more environmentally friendly. Failing that burying it - better still.

I can understand folk getting upset when their trying to moor and they find piles of excrement between the water and the towpath - fair enough - how difficult is it for a dog owner to dispose of the said shite in the hedge? There are very few places where you need to bag up. Just takes a bit of common sense.

I think one of the problems with the towpath is that when they are convenient place to walk a dog in an urban area therefore you get all manner of folk walking their dogs along a short stretch of canal - High usage equals a dog toilet.

I'm lucky where I live there is a lot of open space where bagging up would be a waste of time. .

I wonder how many folk who complain about dog mess own a cat which they allow to shit in other peoples gardens?

Edited by bag 'o' bones

When we moored at Bugsworth a few years back I had to move the boat, because where we'd picked was a nice stretch of grass with a pile of dogshit roughly every foot, it was almost impossible to walk across the grass without stepping in one. Many of them looked the same, as if the same owner had been taking the same dog there daily for a very long time...

When we moored at Bugsworth a few years back I had to move the boat, because where we'd picked was a nice stretch of grass with a pile of dogshit roughly every foot, it was almost impossible to walk across the grass without stepping in one. Many of them looked the same, as if the same owner had been taking the same dog there daily for a very long time...

A dog can crap 3 times a day.

If only one owner uses the same area and doesn't pick up that is 21 turds a week.

A rough guess tells me it takes a couple of weeks for the average turd to disintegrate. That is a constant presence of 42 turds from ONE dog in any given area!

George ex nb Alton retired

I'm not an expert on dog mess.

However, we are. Moored in Rugeley. We walk the dogs two/three times a day. In one particular area there are new piles appearing every day. By the look of if from the same dog. Same colour,size etc. Where we are there are two other boats. One doesn't have a dog, the other has a dog but he walks Fido in the other direction.

My assumption is that it is quite possible local residents dogs mess. I bet a bottom dollar boaters get the blame, well, their dogs.

Martyn

42 turds! That dog must have diarrea dierrha diaharrea, the shits.

Mine does 21 a week and they make useful hand warmers in winter! smile.png

George ex nb Alton retired

I misread your post. 21 turds per week is still 21 too many.

• Greenie 1

The Forestry Comision prefer the flick with a stick as apparently the lack of poo was having an impact on the insects and other organisms that feed on it or use it to lay eggs in.

White poo used to be really common when I was a kid - its from dogs that are fed raw bones. Maybe we will see more of it if the BARF diet becomes more popular. Would have thought this would take up too much storage room on a boat though - unless you have a mooring near a traditional butcher or a slaughter house.

IF you dont watch him, one of ours often actually hangs his back end over the cut and poos into the water! No idea where he learned to do that - I'm never sure whether to be impressed or embarrassed!

Edited by grannykins

Now there's an idea, the hung up plastic bags could be given the flouro treatment too. Just imagine it, those decorations swinging gently in the breeze, it would be like Christmas all year round.

Which is why I've taken to calling them 'shitbaubles'.

I must say that, reading these posts has enlightened me no end. For instance, I was not aware that you could identify whether several poohs all came from the same dog by studying the colour, consistency and shape. Whatever next, artistic impression ? technical merit ? I shall certainly be keenly watching for this from now on. Sorry OP, seem to have drifted off piste here.