canal speed limit any exemptions?

lexicon

Featured Posts

Yes, despite many regular claims to the contrary the BW bye laws do specifically state the speed limits apply to "power driven" vessels.

So it seems reasonable to assume anything not having an engine is exempted.

What have u got against kayaks?

Nothing. I just assumed they weren't subject to a speed limit because when I was on the Montgomery Canal the local club were holding a canoe race and I can't imagine how that would work if they were all doing 4mph.smile.png

EDIT, Every day's a school day, I've just checked and discovered that canoes and kayaks aren't the same thing, never knew that.

Edited by Southern Star

Yes but not all,

hire boats, share boats, marina based boats, ex-working boats, tatty boats, there must be some more.

icecream.gif

Privately owned boats, CRT work boats, shiny boats, boats with a berth, CC's. In other words all types of boaters who decide that the speed limit is not for them!cheers.gif

Howard

I can say, hand on heart that I never speed, in a year I have never overtaken another boat, but I frequently wave boats past which are approaching my stern. My engine has a sweet spot at around 1,350 rpm so I stick there, and I estimate that this pushes me along at around 2.5mph.

that would give me a speed of about 5 mph I trundle along at 1000 and that gives me about 3mph 1200 is about 4mph

that would give me a speed of about 5 mph I trundle along at 1000 and that gives me about 3mph 1200 is about 4mph

Yes, I'm sure all engine/gearbox/prop arrangements have their own perfect running speeds. Over 500 hours, doing the maths every time I brimmed with diesel (three times) I found I was using 0.7 litres of diesel per hour to within +/- 5% so I reckon the engine is running fairly efficiently. 2.5 mph is fairly slow but I spend my working week rushing about like a BAF so I'm not bothered about that.

I can say, hand on heart that I never speed, in a year I have never overtaken another boat, but I frequently wave boats past which are approaching my stern. My engine has a sweet spot at around 1,350 rpm so I stick there, and I estimate that this pushes me along at around 2.5mph.

You and me both. Beta 43? Reading your later post though I'm much thirstier at a little less than 1.5 litres per hour. How much less depends on season due to the Eberspacher use.

You and me both. Beta 43? Reading your later post though I'm much thirstier at a little less than 1.5 litres per hour. How much less depends on season due to the Eberspacher use.

BMC 1.5 and a 42' boat. I did the diesel calculations to three decimal places, dividing the fuel used against the engine hours meter, the accuracy of which we checked against the timer on a mobile phone.

I understand 'coaching' boats accompanying university rowing teams, I cant remember the name of that type but they go much faster than your average cruiser.

If they were on canals, (unlikely - I tend to see it being done by bikes from the towpath!), they are powered, and are not exempted from the speed limit.

(And I do not wish to kick off an argument that the cyclists doing the coaching are going to fast........)

If they were on canals, (unlikely - I tend to see it being done by bikes from the towpath!), they are powered, and are not exempted from the speed limit.

(And I do not wish to kick off an argument that the cyclists doing the coaching are going to fast........)

On The Thames rowing coaches use small fast catamarans which look a bit like pedalos. They are motorised but don't create much wash and are exempt from the 8kph speed limit on the non tidal part of the river.