Pearson's or Collins Guide ?

GreyLady

Featured Posts

Thanks for th help I might just buy both of them from Amazon.

I was hoping one of them might have a 'things to do in the local area' section.

I much prefer Nicholson's/Collins but I think Pearson's has more detail about what is in the area. I stand to be corrected.

We use both. I like to use the Nicholsons for planning a route, especially to see where there are good walks to take the dog, however we keep Pearsons by the helm and also find that it is an interesting general read too.

I have not used the Pearsons, however particularly now that Nicholsons (Now a sub-set of Colin's) is overlayed over the local OS maps I find them very useful indeed, and to give a fairly practical 'engineering' approach.

- They detail where all the waterpoint, pubs, elsan, boatyards etc are.

- The location of all the locks including the rise/fall of the lock/flight.

- Navigations notes such as tunnel timings, contact numbers etc.

- Bridge names/numbers, and some back ground information on area and the canals history.

For planning routes CanalPlan.ac is very good, as is the fold out Nichholsons.

The other map worth mentioning is the Phillips Navigator road atlas, as unlike most, it details bridge numbers which can be very hand when tying the road and canal together doing car shuffles and the like.

Daniel

The main drawback with Pearsons, I find, is that North is oriented differently on every page! I have never seen maps presented in such a confusing way.

Most annoying feature of Nicholsons is trying to work out which pub description supplied applies to which pub symbol on the map.

Both contain a surprising number of errors and ommissions - keep a pencil handy!

Nicholson's only has "official" winding holes, Pearson's has usable ones too (with maximum boat length marked) which are a lot more frequent. If you want to turn round without going a lot further than necessary, this is a big advantage.

Pearson's is a much better read with more unofficial local information. Nicholson's is more up-to-date with more information overall, especially what's near the canal.

Pearsons, as long as you can cope with North being a moveable feast on the maps.

It used to really 'upset' OH that North wasn't where it was supposed to be!

Me I loved it because it was easy to read/check where you where whilst out the back.

I like the humour in the journey descriptions. The number of locks / mileage and approx timings given on the top of each page is a big plus for me. I also use canalplan to plan full trip in advance but give me Pearson's for the actual experience.