Running Engine at 2:30 AM

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

Parsnip

Mooring spike mallet

Exhaust pipe

Richard

Have you ever actually tried this?

I have, on a car admittedly, and using a potato not a parsnip.

To my amazement the engine started and ran perfectly for what seemed an unfeasibly long time, i.e. about 30 seconds. Then there was an earsplitting bang like a shotgun only louder as potato plug was ejected. Never found the spud plug, I think it could have caused a serious injury had it hit someone because it was nowhere near the car...

I went over and complained to a boater doing a similar thing albeit not that late. Did no good so I dropped off a note to CaRT by email. Had two replies from CaRT who passed it to enforcement. The reason I did it was mutuality. If enough people complain about a serial transgressor it may save some poor sod being on the receiving end in the future.

What's your solution?

Unless you think it's ok.

I knock on the boat if it bothers me, I have to say it would have to be very load to bother me. That is not to say I condone it and can understand that it can be annoying. My point about CART was that they are hardly lightly to come running down to help. There is nothing enforcement can do about it based on a complaint

I had a potato put up my exhaust on one of my bikes when it was parked a very long time ago now. It would not start. But as it sounded odd/muffled on the starter button, I checked exhaust and found a spud plug there! :)

I knock on the boat if it bothers me, I have to say it would have to be very load to bother me. That is not to say I condone it and can understand that it can be annoying. My point about CART was that they are hardly lightly to come running down to help. There is nothing enforcement can do about it based on a complaint

I knocked on boat too but got nowhere.

I fired off a complaint more in frustration than anything and suprised that I got two responses within two days - I just checked the email response number 2 and it was a Mr Swann, CaRT Enforcement who stated he was aware of the boat and would be contacting them about the antisocial noise.

I think, as it was a v. messy Cmer, there must have been other complaints. My only winge was the genny btw.

Edited by mark99

Enforcement do take action but in our case it was doubly annoying. We were moored with other boats, many of which appear to shuffle around on the Coventry canal. We were rught by new flats so when we arrived back on board at 8 pm we didn't run our engine though our batteries were low. We then had to listen as another boater fired up and proceeded to run the engine till after 9 pm, which while not legal is hardly late.

Next day, knock on boat from enforcement. We told him we were ourselves annoyed but as we were not prepared to say which boat it was, we were pretty sure but hadn't actually checked, we were actually served a notice of failure to meet the terms and conditions of our licence.

Edited by Mrs Trackman

Had an idiot like that near us once. Turned out the only heating he had was a Mikuni, and his batteries couldn't cope with it being on all night, so he had to run the engine to run the mikuni!

A local 'character' advised him if it happened again he'd suffer an unpleasant occurence. The idiot wisely moved on.

Why the hell did they need the heating on all night anyway?

Had they not heard of a timer?

Our boat gets unbearably hot if we leave the Webasto on all night!

Have you not heard of a thermostat?

;)

Got one :)

Still too hot though. Turn it down to a comfortable sleeping temperature then one of us still has to get up to turn it up to our usual daytime temperature before we get up.

Much easier to let it turn off at night, sustain a comfortable sleeping temperature over night then turn itself on and get the boat toasty warm for when we get up :)

Last time I was at Marple I passed a boat on way back to mine at 10:30 pm with engine running in gear .I was moored far enough away that noise was no problem but then the idiots wonder why the banks are collapsing.

Have you not heard of a thermostat?

wink.png

I installed a frost stat and if heating dropped to 15c then heating would kick in.

We moored behind a boat once and at about 1am the engine started. It was lousy weather and frankly I couldn't be bothered doing anything about. Turned out my wife knew the owners of the boat and one of their kids had gone onto it and they have an autostart on the engine for the heating and so they turned the heating on and that fired the engine up, and they'd not realised we were moored behind them.

"Yet the science of the matter aside, we expect reports of sugared gas tanks to continue to appear on police blotters everywhere for as long as gasoline engines power cars. The desire for revenge runs strong — so strong that it will not let such a little thing as facts get in its way. "

"Accordingly, the best way to gain revenge on someone through the "sugar in the gas tank" prank might be to simply play on the belief rather than the reality — just sprinkle a fair amount of sugar on the ground beneath the opening to the fuel tank of your victim's car and leave an empty sugar sack in a conspicious spot near the vehicle. Then sit back and watch your victim go wild trying to figure out how to deal with all that sugar he assumes is now in his gas tank. "

Heh. That might be enough.

"Yet the science of the matter aside, we expect reports of sugared gas tanks to continue to appear on police blotters everywhere for as long as gasoline engines power cars. The desire for revenge runs strong — so strong that it will not let such a little thing as facts get in its way. "

"Accordingly, the best way to gain revenge on someone through the "sugar in the gas tank" prank might be to simply play on the belief rather than the reality — just sprinkle a fair amount of sugar on the ground beneath the opening to the fuel tank of your victim's car and leave an empty sugar sack in a conspicious spot near the vehicle. Then sit back and watch your victim go wild trying to figure out how to deal with all that sugar he assumes is now in his gas tank. "

Heh. That might be enough.

Indeed ;-)