Bad smell

Sarahr

Featured Posts

We had a problem with the pipe work running from the loo to the pump out tank which was smelly, the pipe has been replaced with Vetus piping and is now sorted but the smell seems to have impregnated the woodwork in the cupboard and drawers where the pipe runs. We store our clothes on these cupboards and it is making them smell horrible, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get rid of the smell, it obviously will have to be a wood and clothes friendly solution!!

I think I would heavy sandpaper all the wood surfaces and then soak the wood in teak oil or similar, or any nice smelling wood treatment. If that doesnt work then I'd rip the cupboard out and clean the surroundings and build new cupboards. It may be behind or under the cupboard where the residue is.

Edited by Chagall

Have you smelled jeyes fluid? I'd rather smell the s***!

Personal preference no doubt, I quite like the smell. But pertinent to the original question the Jeyes smell dissipates in time, having deodorised the offending stench very effectively.

I have found that a litre or two has been able to permanently banish stomach churning odours from the bilges of a 100’ plus Dutch barge within days. Left the whole place smelling clean and fresh.

A more natural approach which may work is to get half a dozen decent size onions and cut these in half and leave them in the offending space. These mask and absorb the smell. Leave for a couple of weeks and then throw away into the green wast or compost.

Damm, beaten to the post.

Edited by PeterG

...check all nooks and crannies for piss & poop...

...most of it will have migrated into the base of the unit...

...use a rag to mop up the wet poopy-pee-pee...

...if the poop has dried out scrape as much up as you can with a wall paper scraper or somthing similar...

...apply a mild solution of bleach using a sponge & bowl (1 cap of bleach to half a bucket of water...say)...

...then just let in dry...

...it worked for me...

...if there is still a smell, repeat the above, just more diligently...

...NaOH...IS the universal cleaning agent...:)

ps don't bother with the onions, you'll just end up with a poo-ey smell infused with onion...

...check all nooks and crannies for piss & poop...

...most of it will have migrated into the base of the unit...

...use a rag to mop up the wet poopy-pee-pee...

...if the poop has dried out scrape as much up as you can with a wall paper scraper or somthing similar...

...apply a mild solution of bleach using a sponge & bowl (1 cap of bleach to half a bucket of water...say)...

...then just let in dry...

...it worked for me...

...if there is still a smell, repeat the above, just more diligently...

...NaOH...IS the universal cleaning agent...:)

ps don't bother with the onions, you'll just end up with a poo-ey smell infused with onion...

Just to clarify the pipe didn't actually leak any poop it just stank and the smell has permiated into the woodwork. Many thanks for all the suggestions so far I will give them a try. If it does not work we will be installing a cassette as we are quite fed up with it. The boat is a relatively recent purchase and a pump out loo was not on the wish list! We do love the rest of the boat though!

You could always try white vinegar that works very well for urine smells..course it need diluting a bit and would remove varnish maybe from wood but you could then revarnish.

Im all for good ole scrub out following vinegar..my floors and carpets in flat I had drenched in dog urine and managed to remove all smells by use of half strength vinegar

My lovely wife says that dry bicarbonate of soda in an open receptical left within the confines of the smelly area should absorb any nasty smells without introducing any new nasty smells.

Works in fridges and stinky training shoes too.

Rog

PS must work because my wife knows everything...... so I'm told :)

Just to clarify the pipe didn't actually leak any poop it just stank and the smell has permiated into the woodwork.

Are you sure? I find it difficult to believe that a smell permeating through a faulty sanitary grade pipe could cause a smell to linger and permeate the wood and clothes in the way you described once the faulty pipe was removed.

Edited by blackrose

Scrub the wood with Zoflora concentrated disinfectant and try to get airflow to the area. We had a slight leak under the bed and after cleaning did this and added some lavender essential oils and left the area open as long as we could

Are you sure? I find it difficult to believe that a smell permeating through a faulty sanitary grade pipe could cause a smell to linger and permeate the wood and clothes in the way you described once the faulty pipe was removed.

It didn't leak but it is a very long run of pipe as the tank is at the stern under the rear steps and I think that is why the smell is bad I understand that most boats have the tank under the bed so the pipe run is shorter. When we ordered the new pipe we bought 25 feet of it.

On the basis that respirators used in areas where noxious gases exist they put activated carbon as main filter method to remove them allowing you to breathe. I woulđ suggest crushing up some charcoal and putting it in some old tights and leave it there to absorb the smells. It should draw the smells out of where they are and help deal with any new ones that are created.