Double Glazing Film

Lmcgrath87

Featured Posts

Does anyone use this on their windows?

With winter approaching I'd like to do what I can to keep the boat nice a toasty. The boat seems fairly well insulated, not had the heating/fire on since about April,but wonder if it's worth getting this to put in?

Definitely. I put some over my windows to provide insulation for the winter....................5 years later it's still up!

Make sure you install it on a sunny, dry day to prevent trapping moisture, don't wait till winter is approaching. Do it now!

I use it and have found it to be very good...reminded me to order some now.

Beware getting too enthusiastic and not having some ventilation - I leave one window ajar and uncovered as the moisture goes somewhere, in my case the bilge - it was a bit of a shock to see the water sat there!

Edited by Paringa

I haven't tried it as I have sealed units in teak window frames anyway but I agree about ventilation. I really like to have plenty of air in my steel box. If it means burning more coal its worth it as far as I am concerned because air is a nice thing to have about :)

Swmbo calls it 'draught' I call it 'ventilation or fresh air' :rolleyes:

We did our Windows with it for a few years but got fed up with it as the cat liked to scratch the ones he could reach & I spent a lot of time the next spring getting the double sided tape off with sticky stuff remover so last year we got some acrylic /perspex sheets cut to size ( GBM in Rugeley) & some magnetic secondary glazing strip ( ebay)

It took about as long to fit the strip to the perspex & window frames as it had done previously to do the film & it's great,have just put them back up as nights are getting chilly, only done the bedroom & bathroom as we like to keep the windows open in saloon area, which is warm enough anyway when the stove is lit ;)

Has anyone come up with a good method for portholes?

Ours are 18", surrounded by a lovely oak ring. I could imagine using an octagonal piece of acrylic held on by magnetic strips. I worry about how the strips would look in the summer with the acrylic removed.

I haven't found a supplier of a system to fit a circular sheet inside the ring.

Yes we use it and recommend it. Take your time putting it on right ( best with two of you) and make sure it's nice and tight. We left our first in for two years but changed it this summer to clean the windows as the odd insect manages to get in through the window and into the gap somehow. Never any condensation problems now and definitely warmer.

Same as Jamboat i fitted perspex sheet ordered & cut to size . Fitted magnetic strip to window frames which is permanent & then magnetic strip to perspex sheet . None in bathroom or kitchen & hatch opened whenever cooking . Also not on the bedroom portholes except when exceptionally cold as i like the fresh air .

Theyre complete doddle to fit & to use . They stay put & can be removed & fitted in moments . They re stored behind the settee all summer & when the time comes to put them back up shortly itll take 10 minutes to do the whole boat . Google cut to size persex ( i used 2mm iirc ) and theres lots of firms doing this . Worth the extra expense in my opinion

cheers

Edited by chubby

Definitely. I put some over my windows to provide insulation for the winter....................5 years later it's still up!

You don't open your windows in summer then?

Has anyone come up with a good method for portholes?

I just use porthole bungs after dark, nothing during the day.

I've made clear acrylic inserts for portholes when living on a yacht edged with the sealing strip you get on shower glass/acrylic held in place with a cross bar but having seen Blackroses porthole bungs (over a year ago on here ?) I wondered why (in hindsight) I put so much effort in.

Edited by tidal

I've made clear acrylic inserts for portholes when living on a yacht edged with the sealing strip you get on shower glass/acrylic held in place with a cross bar but having seen Blackroses porthole bungs (over a year ago on here ?) I wondered why (in hindsight) I put so much effort in.

A not insubstantial amount of effort went into the making of my bungs too. 14 of the things. I painted the ply and stuck the foam on outside my boat on the pontoon. My neighbors thought I'd gone insane.

A not insubstantial amount of effort went into the making of my bungs too. 14 of the things. I painted the ply and stuck the foam on outside my boat on the pontoon. My neighbors thought I'd gone insane.

Ours are fully upholstered with the same material as the curtains. We didn't make them in the first place, but the Memsahib dismantled them and reassembled them with the new fabric. I call them 'tompions' which is what they used to stuff up the muzzles of cannon, but the term is probably inaccurate..

About double glazing -- I wouldn't bother, as the boat is very quickly toasty warm once the stove is going, and you do need the ventilation for condensation and safety purposes. Who knows what fumes that coal/wood on the fire is emitting?

Edited by Machpoint005

About double glazing -- I wouldn't bother, as the boat is very quickly toasty warm once the stove is going, and you do need the ventilation for condensation and safety purposes. Who knows what fumes that coal/wood on the fire is emitting?

I have to disagree. We have had double glazing (the film type) on the four "bus style" windows (the biggest heat losers and condensers) for three years now and I wish we had put it on earlier. If I want additional ventilation I have front and back doors, side doors, 2 opening portholes in the bedroom and opening windows in the galley and bathroom. For me the biggest benefit is the reduced condensation on the windows and frames and the heat saving is secondary.

Carbon Monoxide is the killer but then if you've got CO detectors you should have early warning with or without double glazing if you are getting gassed!

I have to disagree. We have had double glazing (the film type) on the four "bus style" windows (the biggest heat losers and condensers) for three years now and I wish we had put it on earlier. If I want additional ventilation I have front and back doors, side doors, 2 opening portholes in the bedroom and opening windows in the galley and bathroom. For me the biggest benefit is the reduced condensation on the windows and frames and the heat saving is secondary.

There may be some other variables at play here. Is the water vapour condensing somewhere else, or is it staying in the internal atmosphere? Different boats have different foibles, though.

Carbon Monoxide is the killer but then if you've got CO detectors you should have early warning with or without double glazing if you are getting gassed!

Agreed, and I have, but it's far better to avoid CO (or poisonous fumes) in the cabin in the first place.

A not insubstantial amount of effort went into the making of my bungs too. 14 of the things.

I realise that now

I only had 4 to make (2 different sizes) and as I had no useable power at the time I was cutting acrylic with an abrafile.

This I discovered could be very challenging in 2mm acrylic for some-one who was new to it (and has 10 thumbs).

Ply and I have always got on well with each other by contrast

That's my weekend sorted then! Lets hope the weather improves then....

Well if the weather doesn't improve don't be tempted to install it. Wait until it's nice and dry and sunny. Cos once it's up any moisture present will be trapped. AND make sure you REALLY clean the glass before you put the film up or you'll be very annoyed when you notice that speck of dirt/smudge that you can't get at anymore!