Standedge Tunnel Closed

Mac of Cygnet

Featured Posts

Anyone know what this is about, which has come out of the blue? I'm heading that way, back to my mooring at Sowerby Bridge.

From Date:
26th August 2015 at 10:00
To Date:
until further notice
Type:
Navigation Closure
Reason:
Inspection
Description:

Standedge Tunnel will be closed for passages until further notice, while surveys are been carried out.

Who would you have surveying the tunnel, someone with a degree in Engineering or someone with a degree in English :)

Tim

It is not the same person surveying the tunnel and writing the notice. And one doesn't have to have a degree in English to form a simple sentence like that. I would expect someone employed to write such notices to have a basic grasp of English.

If not, where will it all end? The next thing will be extraneous apostrophes appearing, and that would be truly dreadful.

If not, where will it all end? The next thing will be extraneous apostrophes appearing, and that would be truly dreadful.

"while surveys are be'en' carried out"

It seems it is a pronunciation issue, not a grammatical one. Is the hypothetical engineering poet from Dorset?

Actually I was rather hoping hat someone would know why a survey is suddenly necessary. I would NOT like to have to go back over the Rochdale.

Before someone says "You could phone them to find out", the thought of being passed from pillar to post on a PAYG phone isn't appealing. But it may come to that.

The info given is very sparse - you'd think they could give an idea, wouldn't you?

Latest from https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/4465/standedge-tunnel

InspectionNotice updates:

26/08/2015 @ 16:55

This morning while the normal chaperone operation was taking place, it was noticed that one of Network Rail’s timber walkways that cross the tunnel had partially collapsed and that large timbers were suspended dangerously over the water. As a consequence we had to stop navigation, and remove the boats and crew from the tunnel.

Network Rail have mobilised a maintenance crew with the aim of removing the dangerous timbers. That work is just starting and is expected to be complete tonight.

If all goes well, and there is high confidence that it will, the boats who’s passage was interrupted today will go through the tunnel tomorrow (Thursday), and passages will resume as normal on Friday.

Latest from https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/4465/standedge-tunnel

InspectionNotice updates:

26/08/2015 @ 16:55

This morning while the normal chaperone operation was taking place, it was noticed that one of Network Rail’s timber walkways that cross the tunnel had partially collapsed and that large timbers were suspended dangerously over the water. As a consequence we had to stop navigation, and remove the boats and crew from the tunnel.

Network Rail have mobilised a maintenance crew with the aim of removing the dangerous timbers. That work is just starting and is expected to be complete tonight.

If all goes well, and there is high confidence that it will, the boats who’s passage was interrupted today will go through the tunnel tomorrow (Thursday), and passages will resume as normal on Friday.

Thank you Andy. That update hadn't reached me yet.

I always cross my fingers when making my way back over the HNC!

Stupid comment, considering the closure has been caused by NETWORK RAIL equipment!!

Did I mention who's kit was causing the problem?

Network Rail not content with causing mayhem on the trains now do seem to be moving their brand of chaos on to the canal....first level crossings on the rufford branch and now this....perhaps they want to take over?

Cheers

Gareth

Network Rail not content with causing mayhem on the trains now do seem to be moving their brand of chaos on to the canal....first level crossings on the rufford branch and now this....perhaps they want to take over?

Cheers

Gareth

Interesting how quickly they have effected repairs

Cheers

Gareth

You blamed CaRT for the fault in the tunnel, when it was actually a problem caused by Network Rail, who I understand have now rectified the matter, very promptly.

And the problem on the Rufford Branch was that CaRT and their contractor would not provide a trained Crossing attendant/banksman or pay NR to provide one, plus they have had to strengthen the crossing to allow for the additional weight of the equipment to access the site.

You really don't have a clue but are happy to criticise.

You blamed CaRT for the fault in the tunnel, when it was actually a problem caused by Network Rail, who I understand have now rectified the matter, very promptly.

And the problem on the Rufford Branch was that CaRT and their contractor would not provide a trained Crossing attendant/banksman or pay NR to provide one, plus they have had to strengthen the crossing to allow for the additional weight of the equipment to access the site.

As I read it, nobody blamed CRT, but the comment said the canal system is falling apart

Nowhere did I blame CRT for stanledge tunnel....but hey ho!

And they haven't had to strengthen the crossing as far as I'm aware unless you know different.....it looks exactly the same as it always has....

Whilst some of the delay at Rufford is down to CRT lacking the paperwork and safe working system it hasn't been helped by network rail giving permission to cross then withdrawing it as they decided to run maintainance trains.

Thanks for getting personal....as you're not the one on site I might suggest you don't have a clue about what's going on in Rufford.

Cheers

Gareth

No I'm just a Network rail signaller with contacts all over the country!

Fact:

NR had to re-assess the weight capacity of the crossing. Info now provided about what was going to be used and it still might need strengthening.

NR asked for a "Mode of Operation" and a Risk Assessment for the Crossing.

NR asked for a Banksman for the crossing from the Contractor but they were not apparently able to provide one to NR's specification, nor were CaRT.

NR offered a Banksman at cost, which I presume has been taken up.

NR have a right to refuse access and use at any time.

You may be on site but you do not know what happens in the background.

No I'm just a Network rail signaller with contacts all over the country!

Fact:

NR had to re-assess the weight capacity of the crossing. Info now provided about what was going to be used and it still might need strengthening.

NR asked for a "Mode of Operation" and a Risk Assessment for the Crossing.

NR asked for a Banksman for the crossing from the Contractor but they were not apparently able to provide one to NR's specification, nor were CaRT.

NR offered a Banksman at cost, which I presume has been taken up.

NR have a right to refuse access and use at any time.

You may be on site but you do not know what happens in the background.

Rather than being insulting supplying this information such as this is useful as it's very different from CRT's story. If CRT are to be believed and to be honest I am now taking whatever anyone from either organisation with a pinch of salt says there was never an issue with the banksman and they are now looking to make life more stressful when network rail require access accross CRT land or infrastructure.

As ever in these situations it's going to become a willy waving situation with no practical work being done.

If you are positive what you said is true I shall pass it on to the waterways manager and await her response.....but no rumours or hearsay as that won't do the argument from the boaters any good at all......and feel free to post on the Rufford thread to save derailing (!!!) this thread anymore.

Cheers

Gareth