canal and river trust stating none sighting

bux

Featured Posts

Hi bux,

Please don't take this as knitpicking, because I'm not. But when discussing it with CRT what your referring to as "confidentiality act" is actually called the Data Protection Act.

If you refer to it as that, they will know what your referring to.

Hope that helps a little bit.

ETA - I'm not suggesting there has been a breech of the act, just it's proper name :)

Edited by Bettie Boo

ok wow, sorry but as I said he has given them his email address several times, I went with him to one of their offices to ensure they got the email address, and yes I still think they are oout of order emailing me

You have to bear in mind that on this forum, some have tinted windows.

Jan my wife regularly gets emails on my email address because that is the address she gave them, perhaps your son gave them yours as his contact email and maybe the trust need him to confirm his current one not a third party ie you.

Ps what's the confidentiality act?

I assume for confidentiality read Data Protection Act. Which is hardly likely to apply in this case particularly if the person requesting the licence gave the email address they are using as a contact email address.

Edited by churchward
  • Greenie 1

The act you may refer to is the Data Protection Act 1998. The breach is subject to what he has provided to CRT. If he provided your email address as contact, unlikely to be a breach unless he has notified CRT of a change in contact details and can prove same. Then only if they have released personal data can it be considered a breach. Any complaint needs to reported to the information commissioner who, based on what is provided, may investigate.

Correct our boat was logged in both marinas we moored in, a few times too.

Out of interest, I'm curious about where my boat has been sighted. On a couple of occasions I have seen the data logger, but there must have been occasions when I was in the galley cooking breakfast etc, or the boat was in the marina and I didn't spot the data logger, do CRT supply logging information if you ask them?

Hi bux,

Please don't take this as knitpicking, because I'm not. But when discussing it with CRT what your referring to as "confidentiality act" is actually called the Data Protection Act.

If you refer to it as that, they will know what your referring to.

Hope that helps a little bit.

yes thanks for that, could not think of the act to save my life, darn getting old isn't fun

he has given them his email address on several occasions, and what I meam about confidentiality is they are discussing his information about him to me. surely that is wrong

If correct and he has given the correct details then indeed they are wrong to be contacting him via. Yourself. As to whether they have broken any laws in doing so is a debatable issue.

It's also a lesser issue to me here as your son appears to be on their radar for not moving his boat sufficiently which is something he really needs to contact them about ASAP.

I think you mean the data protection act, and I think maybe you have a point. You just need to make sure how they have your email address. If it was your son then you are probably on thin ground. I'll ask our compliance officer at work tomorrow.

Out of interest, I'm curious about where my boat has been sighted. On a couple of occasions I have seen the data logger, but there must have been occasions when I was in the galley cooking breakfast etc, or the boat was in the marina and I didn't spot the data logger, do CRT supply logging information if you ask them?

Yes but it seems a bit of a waste of valuable staff time just so you can find out if you were logged while cooking

Yes they do.

he has given them his email address on several occasions, and what I meam about confidentiality is they are discussing his information about him to me. surely that is wrong

There is nothing in that email that contains anything confidential.

They are simply asking him to provide details of his boat movements.

Perhaps they are writing to your email address because they have been unable to contact him on another.

Edited by Graham Davis

Sureley 'insufficient sighting data' is cackhand for 'you've not been spotted at enough places to satisfy us your cruising pattern is acceptable'

As Dean demonstrated; a call or email to the enforcement team concerned will save n mega pages of discussion.

Answer : £50 Vehicle Tracking Device fitted to a our boats alongside a Tesco's pay as you go £27 Mobile phone.

Its time to play them at their own games and get in front of the very misleading rules and regulation's the Crt call a Website for new Boaters

No blabble/or faffing about.

I am discraced how complecated the rules and regulations are explained to new boaters wishing to purchase a boat.

Its designed to make the most honest boater trip up.

Edited by grumpy146

I think you mean the data protection act, and I think maybe you have a point. You just need to make sure how they have your email address. If it was your son then you are probably on thin ground. I'll ask our compliance officer at work tomorrow.

they have my email address as I also live on a different boat so I gave them mine, to correspond to me about my boating

. I would go and speak to a brief and fire off a letter, telling them that this is harassment and if it continues you will be taking legal action

Seriously bad advice.

That is the last thing required at this point.

Answer : £50 Vehicle Tracking Device fitted to a our boats alongside a Tesco's pay as you go £27 Mobile phone.

Its time to play them at their own games and get in front of the very misleading rules and regulation's the Crt call a Website for new Boaters

No blabble/or faffing about.

I am discraced how complecated the rules and regulations are explained to new boaters wishing to purchase a boat.

Its designed to make the most honest boater trip up.

what is this, what will it do and how do you set it up please

Ummm not sure what to say. It would seem from the email if our logging system does not log you the dafault position is you are not complying. On my last data log I went 4 months without being logged. Think I was moving to fast for them or could be I tend to moor in the middle of nowhere. Should be an interesting one for a Judge "we took his licence away because we did not know where he was"

It is up to the boater to satisfy CRT that he is using his boat in a bona fide manner but it seems crazy when the whole system is meant to be patrolled every 2 weeks that he has not been logged.if he is on CRTs waters. Refusal to grant a licence on the grounds that CRT doesnt know where you are seems a very weak argument.

But If he has been moving within a range acceptable that he believes acceptable to CRT then why not get rid of all the hassle and tell them.

I think that the fact that you have told them that it is not the correct email address then you may have an argument that CRT breech the DPA. I don't know this as fact but given the weight in which the laws are being applied right now I think they may be better to listen.

It is up to the boater to satisfy CRT that he is using his boat in a bona fide manner but it seems crazy when the whole system is meant to be patrolled every 2 weeks that he has not been logged.if he is on CRTs waters. Refusal to grant a licence on the grounds that CRT doesnt know where you are seems a very weak argument.

But If he has been moving within a range acceptable that he believes acceptable to CRT then why not get rid of all the hassle and tell them.

He's he said he won't?

Seriously bad advice.

That is the last thing required at this point.

I might just do that, as I am sick of it now

but why should he have to tell them, they are after all a voluntary organisation, that are going too far in my opinion

You could "bounce" the email if you don't like it - eg using an older version of Mailwasher.

They should update their records and not send emails if its clearly not the right person - whether there is a reasonable timeframe that they have to do this, I don't know it, I imagine the law/guidelines gives a timeframe because in many cases it physically can't be done instantaneously. Even if the change is from a valid email address to an unknown one.

Can I ask why they have your email address associated with your son's boat in the first place? I am going to say that no matter how lucky they are, its not really possible to simply guess an email address correctly, they must have had a clue from somewhere to make the association.

Sick of what?

Sick of receiving one email?

I'm getting an odd sense of déjà vu :)

I'm sure its semantics - insufficient sighting data could well be a crap way of saying we haven't seen your boat at enough locations to satisfy us you have altered your cruising patterns.

This boat is under enforcement for not satisfying the CC licence....

Edited by gazza