Canal Basin at Oxford

Theo

Featured Posts

SWMBO and I had a bit of an explore looking for evidence of the old basin. I thought that you might be interested in this tiny bit of evidence for the existence of the bridge into the basin which was filled in and made into a car park.

DSC02987_zpskzzurhuc.jpg

DSC02985_zpsuw5ftpc6.jpg

Note the small bit of arching brickwork over the left hand wing of the black car.

N

Edited by Theo
To add the "t" to "might"

Nice bit of detective work Theo and thanks for posting the photos.

Prompted me to have a look at the old OS maps - and the link below should show the 1888-1913 6" series map alongside the modern Bing aerial photo.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=19&lat=51.7536&lon=-1.2644&layers=6&right=BingHyb.

There was talk a few years ago of digging up the car park and re-instating the basin, but it seems to have gone a bit quiet lately

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/10692913.Back_to_the_future_bid_for_canal_basin/?ref=rss

More than a few years ago (twenty?) I was asked to quote for a feasibility study of building a new basin here: the work was never commissioned.

Isn't Nuffield College on part of the basin?

Nuffield and Oxford City Council have in the past proved unwilling to forego the revenue generated by the car park. To be honest, canal interests' campaigning for a restored basin hasn't always been too inspired - focusing on the benefit of creating a new winding hole (!) rather than the regeneration/development story that sells it to property owners and local authorities.

I've heard suggestions that Nuffield and the City might now be a bit more open to the idea. Unfortunately, though, the city and county councils have rather squandered the opportunity by treating all the developments in that side of Oxford piecemeal - Botley Road railway bridge, Frideswide Square, the Westgate and Bonn Square. A coherent vision could and should have incorporated a restored basin, but coherent vision has never been Oxfordshire's speciality.

Still, this recent land deal could offer another opportunity...

Didn't work, type Oxford Canal Basin in the search box of the link above.

Listen up at the back - I think that's what Andy said! cool.png

Copying and pasting the individual image address doesn't work, that just sends you to the CRT main site page, but Andy's link - and as Ray has said - type in Oxford Canal Basin on that link will provide the goods.cheers.gif

Well I never! Just did it again and it worked! At least - with this one from the set:

http://collections.canalrivertrust.org.uk/bw197.2.24.19

Renault Dauphine; Standard 10 - what else?

Edited by Derek R.